Proper way to pick up a bulldog?

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Is there a 'proper' way to pick up a bulldog? Porkchop weighs 37 lbs so he's not a huge load for me. I usually put one arm behind the front legs and one hand between his back legs, then supporting him against my chest. When I pick him up like that, he seems to go stiff as a tree branch until I put him down. I hope I'm not hurting him like this. If there is a better way, please post.
Thanks!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Belle loves to go for car rides. She jumps into my SUV or my husband's truck with no problems, but we don't let her jump down for fear of injury. When I pick her up, I put one arm across the front part of her chest to stabilize her and my other arm goes in front of her back legs. I don't like putting an arm behind her front legs because if she were to jump forward I would have a hard time stopping her. I dropped a small dog that way once :ashamed:

This link shows what I'm talking about. Sorry, it's hard to explain in words.

How to Pick up a Dog Properly: 3 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is there a 'proper' way to pick up a bulldog? Porkchop weighs 37 lbs so he's not a huge load for me. I usually put one arm behind the front legs and one hand between his back legs, then supporting him against my chest. When I pick him up like that, he seems to go stiff as a tree branch until I put him down. I hope I'm not hurting him like this. If there is a better way, please post.
Thanks!

That's how I was taught to hold my boy. I do love to hold him like a baby with his paws around my neck and his head on my shoulder though. :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I always lift with one arm in front of the front legs and scoop with the other arm behind the coolie.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Pork has made a leap out of my hold before. This method that you posted makes sense. I've never seen this hold. I will test this out. Thank you!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I pick up Winnie with my right arm in front of her chest on top of her legs and left arm under her tush and back legs. It feels pretty balanced that way because bullies are top heavy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks!

that is what we both do too... this way they can not jump out of your arms

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would need a block and tackle................ blockntackle.png

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
That is just too funny! If Pork porks out, I'll need a tool too!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I pick our dogs up that way because they are so heavy! One arm around the chest, one arm behind the backside.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My bulldogs weigh between 53-64 lbs, I'm going on my knees when picking them up as I'm kind of small, but usually I put my left arm behind their left front leg and then in between the front legs so my hand is on their chest and my right arm are between their back legs with my hand on their tummy. They seem kind of comfortable with it but I'm not, lol.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Balance is the best since they are tipsy topsy. LOL I always do one arm between both the front and back, and against my chest to even out the weight. Tyson is HUGE. When he was smaller, I could pick him up like a baby, he'd put his paws on my shoulders and Id pick him up under his butt. I can't do that anymore, he'd break my back! :w00t: But for getting in and out of the truck, def need the hubs on one end, and me on the other.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Balance is the best since they are tipsy topsy. LOL I always do one arm between both the front and back, and against my chest to even out the weight. Tyson is HUGE. When he was smaller, I could pick him up like a baby, he'd put his paws on my shoulders and Id pick him up under his butt. I can't do that anymore, he'd break my back! :w00t: But for getting in and out of the truck, def need the hubs on one end, and me on the other.

Poor Tyson needs a hoist!! He is cute as anything!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The best way to pick a bully up is, as a few have said, is put one hand between the front legs from the front and cradle the chest in your hand, and the other hand from the rear between his rear legs cradling the under their bum, fingers toward the belly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.