Ringworm

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Well Canelo has ringworm on his back, three circles. They look like crop circles, ugh! I've been looking online for treatments and any over the counter topical medications but haven't found any. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry Canelo has ringworm, I hope it clears up soon. I don't think you can treat this with over the counter medication? You should see the vet and get the proper medication as ringworm is difficult to treat and clear up, and it's also very contagious to both other animal and people,

Ringworm Infection in Dogs

Although the name suggests otherwise, ringworm is not caused by a worm at all-but a fungus. This highly contagious infection can lead to patchy areas of hair loss on a dog, and can spread to other animals-and to humans, too.

What Are the General Symptoms of Ringworm?

Classic symptoms of ringworm include lesions that typically appear on a dogā€™s head, ears, paws and forelimbs. These lesions can cause patchy, crusted circular ā€œbald spotsā€ that sometimes look red in the center. In mild cases of ringworm, there may be just a few broken hairs, while bad cases of ringworm can spread over most of a dogā€™s body. Itā€™s also possible for a dog to carry the fungus and not show any symptoms whatsoever.

Which Dogs Are Prone to Ringworm Infection?

Puppies less than a year old are most prone to infection, but malnourished, immunocompromised and stressed dogs are also at a greater risk than healthy animals. And because transmission of the ringworm fungus can occur via contact with infected animals and bedding, dishes and other materials in the environment where infected hair or scales may collect, ringworm can quickly spread in kennels, shelters and other places where there are many dogs in a close environment.

How Is Ringworm Diagnosed?

Because this fungal infection can potentially spread over a dogā€™s body and infect other animals and people, itā€™s important that you see your vet for an accurate diagnosis if your pet is showing any signs of a skin problem. Your vet may use an ultraviolet light called a Woodā€™s lamp to examine your dogā€™s hair, look at suspect hairs under a microscope, or take a culture of the affected area in order to diagnose ringworm.

How Is Ringworm Treated?

Treatment of ringworm depends on the severity of the infection. A veterinarian may prescribe a medicated shampoo or ointment that contains miconazole or a dip such as lime sulfur to kill the fungus. In some cases, oral medications are necessary to cure ringworm. In severe cases, it may be necessary to use a topical and oral treatment, in addition to clipping away the fur. Once treatment begins, lesions should begin to heal in about one to three weeks.

Please note, it is important to treat your dog for as long as recommended by your veterinarian. Even though the skin lesions may have cleared up, this doesnā€™t mean your dog is cured or canā€™t infect another animal or person. Certain diagnostic tests may need to be repeated in order to ensure cure. And unfortunately, there is no guarantee that reinfection wonā€™t occur!

How Can I Prevent Ringworm from Spreading?

If your veterinarian has diagnosed your pet with ringworm, he or she will explain what you must do to prevent the fungus from spreading to your other pets-and to the human members of the household. This is especially important because the fungus is difficult to kill and can live in the environment for several months. Your vet may recommend baths with a medicated shampoo for all your pets, and will likely suggest washing, disinfecting or even discarding the infected animalā€™s bedding, equipment and toys. According to ASPCA experts, the best disinfectant to use is 1 part bleach diluted with 10 parts water. And since ringworm can survive on hair and skin that your pet sheds, frequent vacuuming can help prevent transmission of the infection-but donā€™t forget to change the vacuum bag!

As a commonsense precaution, it is a smart idea to thoroughly wash your hands after you bathe or touch your dog. Good personal hygiene and environmental decontamination are essential to keep the disease from spreading to humans.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] or [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] had to treat one of her babies for this....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Actually my youngest daughter had one spot, and her doctor prescribed her a dewormer! (Eventually she realized her error after I confronted her, although she insisted that was the proper medication).

We used topical anti fungal ointment and it took several months to go away.

In dogs I believe they may use an anti fungal prescription tablet, as well as an ointment, was Canelo diagnosed at the vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Our Bella had ringworm constantlyā€¦ funny to note, cats can be carriers and NOT be symptomatic. We think that is why our Bella kept getting itā€¦ Lol I had gone to the vet for anti-fungal creams and medsā€¦ I'm really NOT sure about anything over the counter. All I know is that it can come back, and you need to keep their bedding clean so that it doesn't spread to others.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well Canelo has ringworm on his back, three circles. They look like crop circles, ugh! I've been looking online for treatments and any over the counter topical medications but haven't found any. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know where you live, but most horse supply store carry NuStock, or you can look online. It will cure ringworm, and many other problems. It comes in a tube, and you have to squeeze it around real good to mix it up.It works.@Canelospeeps
Over the years I have used it for many things.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.