He did it again!

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
This is a total of 5 times now!!! So we packed all of his stuff up and he's staying with my in-laws for the next week, at the very least. A few hours after we dropped him off, my FIL said he's got a lot of built up energy. Which we expected... but how do you tire out a puppy in frigid temperatures, live on the top floor of condo building, only 1 street to walk on because all the parks are closed for the winter and there's mountains of snow piles everywhere? Just keep walking back and forth on our street? This puppy wants to RUN!!! And frankly, it's too freaking cold for him to stay outside longer than 15 minutes. [emoji33] [emoji300]

All I can say is he better behave at my in-laws because my FIL won't take any s***. Neither will Rusty. Within 5 minutes of us dropping him off, Rusty had to put him in his place. Then he proceeded to try and dominant Henry!

Yes, I'm aware I'm not using his name. I don't know how I feel about him anymore. I'm definitely emotionally attached because I flew a long way to get him... so I feel like a failure. On the other side, after all he's done for whatever reasons... I just don't know. [emoji22] [emoji174]

This post probably makes no sense what-so-ever, especially after the day I had and currently, it's 3 am my time. [emoji42]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Mental exercise tires a pup much quicker than physical. And if you're lucky or good, you even get a smarter pup as a bonus.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Aww, I'm very sorry! You tried a lot of different things to make it work. I'm not sure how I'd handle my dog attacking me. I Know it's very upsetting.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I'm so sorry :( I do understand what you're going through to a degree. We got a police k9 bred Belgian Malinois a few years ago. My husband is an officer and we intended to raise the puppy for search and rescue work and possibly bomb detection. As a puppy, we did everything correctly to raise a working dog...extensive socialization, professional trainer, tons of stimulation, etc. By 8 months though, he started showing severe aggression. My husband and I are both very experienced with working dogs but this dog was completely different. We have two little boys who were 1 and 4 at the time. When he started trying to bite anyone in the vicinity of his food dish we knew we would have to give him up. With kids in the house we just couldn't take the chance of having an aggressive 65 lb dog. We tried everything but ultimately we had to give him up. He went to a military police dog trainer and is now a bomb detection dog for the military after they worked on his issues extensively. I hope things get better for you guys..I know how tough it can be.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry, you're definitely not a failure though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have done so much to help break and refocus his behavior -- you are not a failure! Take some time to breathe and see where the week takes him.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry, this must be so hard to deal with, we know you love Chubbs, and you've tried everything to stop his aggression and behaviour. This is not your fault. My Dad has always had Black Retrievers and his last dog Jake, he raised from a Pup, he was always more aggressive than his other two dogs, and nothing he did made a difference. Jake attacked my step mom twice, and the second time, he ripped her hand apart, she needed surgery to repair her hand, and he was growling at children when they walked by the house or were near him. He spoke to the breeder and she told him that the mother of Jake also showed those aggressive tendencies, and she wasn't breeding her anymore. My dad made the heartbreaking decision to put Jake down, because he was dangerous. It broke his heart, he cried, and he hasn't gotten another dog. He is 78 now so he decided he wouldn't get another dog. Sometimes you do everything you can, but it may be his personality, or a trait from one of the parents. Don't blame yourself.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with the above comments,completely. You are NOT a failure. Sometimes there are things that happen and just can't be fixed. Being with your relatives-and their dogs will be the real test, to see if he can change for the better. If not, it's not possible to live in fear of your own dog.In that case, things would escalate. I was never one to give up,but there really are some times when you are just not equipped,and just have to let go. If this was a perfect world, Cesar Milan would not have a job.
We are all here for you, and what ever happens-you are not a failure(though I can understand your feeling) and we will NEVER blame you, as we know how hard you have tried. Not everyone is good together-that's why people get divorced.We care....:kiss3:and support you.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I know how frustrating and heartbreaking this whole situation is and has been for you and I'm so, so sorry. I once had to re home a dog because I had two dogs that were trying to kill each other for months. After so much work and two personal trainers $$$, my one year old bully had to go. Even though the issue was with the other dog, I knew that Annie would adjust more easily to a new home. She did and has a great home, but it was the hardest thing I ever did and it still haunts me. Please don't be hard on yourself--maybe after this week you will have a new perspective. Rest from this ordeal for a while!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
It makes me wonder what goes on in those thick skulls! I have never had this problem with food guarding, except with a cocker spaniel who was a little psycho. That was an easy fix for us because she was such a submissive little dog. I hope you can help Chubbs get over this.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
@RiiSi @Cali Doll @OliviaB @dolphin @2BullyMama @Vikinggirl @Manydogs @Donnam [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]
Thanks all, I greatly appreciate all of your support. News report, apparently he's naughty and good. He still hasn't submitted to anyone, Henry or Rusty. FIL asked if it's okay with us if he got a shock collar, start with the vibration setting. FIL's arm is hurting from the leash 'jerking'. Other than that, thankfully no one as gotten hurt yet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm glad to hear things seem to be better with Chubbs at your FILs, hopefully he can work with him and things get better.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I'm glad to hear things seem to be better with Chubbs at your FILs, hopefully he can work with him and things get better.
Me too. It's very possible he may not come back to us while we live here. [emoji53]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@RiiSi @Cali Doll @OliviaB @dolphin @2BullyMama @Vikinggirl @Manydogs @Donnam [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]
Thanks all, I greatly appreciate all of your support. News report, apparently he's naughty and good. He still hasn't submitted to anyone, Henry or Rusty. FIL asked if it's okay with us if he got a shock collar, start with the vibration setting. FIL's arm is hurting from the leash 'jerking'. Other than that, thankfully no one as gotten hurt yet.

It is a good start... I hope this can work out for all of you--- somehow. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Hope you are well and staying warm

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
How old is the pup? Also, this has been mentioned but if he doesn't get enough physical exercise . mental exercise will tire him out just as fast! Give him a roast bone to chew on, also teach him some tricks, and make him work for it.... HARD! Also, they have these toys where a dog has to try and find the treat. That works as well.... And when walking to pup put the leash around the top part of the head, almost near his ears. Do NOT let him go outside with high energy because he WILL pull. Make sure to calm him down and when walking, go out the door first and guide him. It does take some work, LOTS of work. But you will get there <3 And you are not a failure.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.