leaping/jumping?

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank is pretty laid back for the most part but he does have his moments. and in those crazy zoomies moments he will go flying through the air, crash into the coffee table, with no real regard for his body! he will jump up onto our bed which is fairly low to the ground, run around, and then go flying off of it at high speed. he will jump off of my reclining chair when he's done napping with me. most days he is too worn out to partake in any zoomies but it still does happen from time to time.

it doesn't ever seem to hurt him but I don't understand how that his body handles him crashing to the ground all the time? this can't be good for his legs right...

should I work to prevent this?
should I be assisting him on/off when he comes up to snuggle with me on my chair?

should I be giving him a joint supplement?

here is a pic for reference of his body. he is 8.5 months old and 40 lbs. he is a rescue and his background is unknown but they think he is a bulldog beagle mix so i'm not sure how much of a 'standard' EB body he has, maybe someone can provide some insight.
1547prl.jpg

here is another pic of him being pissed about his inflatable cone, just because!
34in6vo.jpg

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Frank sure looks like all bully to me! Winnie does the same things and I worry that she will hurt herself too. She jumps on the chair back and the back of the couch and flies off of it. It's much higher than our bed and our bed is pretty high. She leaps over the baby gates I've put up. Frank is exactly Winnie's age and Winnie weighs about 44 lbs. I did get a ramp for her to use to get up and down off of the bed and taught her to use it. She does go up it, but she just jumps off without using the ramp. I got it because I thought it might save some wear and tear on her joints. So we should get Frank and Winnie into agility training!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Frank is pretty laid back for the most part but he does have his moments. and in those crazy zoomies moments he will go flying through the air, crash into the coffee table, with no real regard for his body! he will jump up onto our bed which is fairly low to the ground, run around, and then go flying off of it at high speed. he will jump off of my reclining chair when he's done napping with me.most days he is too worn out to partake in any zoomies but it still does happen from time to time.

it doesn't ever seem to hurt him but I don't understand how that his body handles him crashing to the ground all the time? this can't be good for his legs right...

should I be assisting him on/off when he comes up to snuggle with me on my chair?

here is a pic for reference of his body. he is 8.5 months old and 40 lbs. he is a rescue and his background is unknown but they think he is a bulldog beagle mix so i'm not sure how much of a 'standard' EB body he has, maybe someone can provide some insight.
1547prl.jpg

here is another pic of him being pissed about his inflatable cone, just because!
34in6vo.jpg

For his age, seems common, full of energy! I would definitely get him on joint supplements. The younger the better since they are known for having problems. We do Nujoint - Tyson loves them, actually sees them as treats, hee hee.

ellie67

Dec 15, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Buster does the same really worry about his joints and hips :(

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Ive looked at nujoint but frank cannot have chicken right now as we are doing a food trial for allergies:(

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
Frank is pretty laid back for the most part but he does have his moments. and in those crazy zoomies moments he will go flying through the air, crash into the coffee table, with no real regard for his body! he will jump up onto our bed which is fairly low to the ground, run around, and then go flying off of it at high speed. he will jump off of my reclining chair when he's done napping with me. most days he is too worn out to partake in any zoomies but it still does happen from time to time.

1547prl.jpg

34in6vo.jpg

Very typical bulldog behaviour. We call Billy "Jeremy Renner" when he performs like this, because he reminds us of those sped-up fight scenes in the Mission Impossible movies.

U need to watch the flying dismounts and pedal-down starts from sitting still, especially if u have smooth-surfaced floors. It is really easy to get joint and tendon damage on these guys.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
We call them "Hot laps" when Boris starts to go crazy around the apartment. We got a thundershirt to help keep him calm now that we know he has severe hip issues. It works wonders for keeping him under control, but i do feel bad for how often we have to use it. He also has chicken allergies and we went with the BullyMax hip and joint supplement as well as Vitamin E tablets. The big thing is finding something with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and Fish Oil (vitamin E) to keep those joints strong. There are probably better options than bullmax, but I like the giant bucket of powder so i can measure out the exact amount he needs instead of splitting tablets.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop has manic moments, usually in the evening. He leaps in the air like a little gazelle, skips a few steps when going down the stairs and does helicopter spins in the air. He tosses his tug rope in the air while on the run and catches it. It's a riot to watch. But I do worry that he's going to hurt himself. I lift him up to the bed at night but he insists on jumping off himself.I bought the doggie stairs from Amazon last year but he won't use it. I can see why-the angle is upwards which makes going down difficult and the pretty carpeted steps are slick. (That is a $75 cat toy going to my local shelter, probably the only thing it is good for.) Lately I've noticed that he seems to cower when I try to pet him, with his body sinking lower as my hand goes down his back. I've never struck him in the face so this has me thinking that he may have some backpain. His gait is good and no limps. Yet I plan to take him to the vet this week. My vet would test my dachshunds by running a finger down their spine and if they cringed, she would suspect back pain. Porkchop doesn't cringe when I do that. He only cowers/cringes when I approach his head. Any thoughts?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.