Biting

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So Bella is 7wks old and her biting is horrible. When ever you walk shes right between your feet biting them or your leg, you sit down and she bites. My 16month old son walks and she bites him, shes grabs ahold of his diaper to bite. Ive tried replacing with her toys, squirting her with water and slapping her nose when she bites my son. I have put her on a leash so she has limited space to go so she doesnt bother my son but i just feel bad cause she doesnt have free rain over the apartment. I mean how long does this stage last? And what can I do to stop it? Or at least live with it to save our feet and my babies butt?

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
the biting thing is HARD to break, but you just need to be really consistent. when my two were babies and biting terrorists, i would grab them, put them on their backs and hold them down until they stopped struggling. this would take such a long time, but eventually they will submit. everytime she bites you, just put her on her back until she gives up. after a couple weeks she will realize that she just gets dominated everytime and it isn't worth it because the game stops. when you release her you can offer her a toy and if she actually bites it and chews it, make a BIG deal about how good she is. they love praise. treat her when she is chewing her toys too, little pieces of cheese or some tiny training treats are good. eventually she will see which behaviors lead to treats and happiness and which lead to being dominated.

i wouldn't suggest slapping her face when she bites, because she is just doing what puppies do. she doesn't understand. you don't want her to become afraid of your hand. you have to communicate with her in a way she understands as a dog, and that is by dominating her when her behavior is inappropriate.

just remember to be consistent, put her on her back EVERY time she bites. she will learn.

OP
Bellas Mommy

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you I have tried that before and she hates it. So I will go back to doing that. I only slap her nose when she bites my son. I do not want my son to be afraid of her. But I agree I dont want her afraid of the hand. So I will just put her on her back. Its just very flusterating.

OP
Bellas Mommy

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Rayers- Our puppies are almost the same color too. :) I too cant wait for this time to be over. Not only the biting but the crying too. :) I'm a 1st time puppy owner here so this is not something I am use too.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Thank you I have tried that before and she hates it. So I will go back to doing that. I only slap her nose when she bites my son. I do not want my son to be afraid of her. But I agree I dont want her afraid of the hand. So I will just put her on her back. Its just very flusterating.

they all absolutely hate it!!!! she will struggle and scream and flail around like you are killing her. just be patient, eventually she will stop. you just need to assert your dominance.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I have had many breeds but have always wanted an eb. as with all puppies, there will be crying and the bad parts of puppy stages (biting, chewing, etc) but in the end it was worth it with our boston and I know it will be for my eb!! I tell you , there is just something special about this breed :luv: (notice he has no name yet, he hopefully will by the time i go to bed tonight)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have two pups, 8 months old. One of them was a TERRIBLE biter! We got her at not quite 6 weeks old and she was sooo bad! We ended up breaking her of it by grabbing her mouth (muzzle) whenever she did it and telling her No Biting! It took a while, but she finally got quit doing it.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness is NOTORIOUS for biting everthing and everyone. The only thing we are doing is trying to be consistent in telling him no and making some loud noises to scare him from doing it and saying no. It is kinda working

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=1790]rayers[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1689]Bellas Mommy[/MENTION] i'm looking at ur avatars and thinking wow ur puppies are almost identical :luv:

The biting thing slows down and stops eventually only to be replaced by some other criminal behaviour :lol:
Lucy is currently trying her hand at theivery, her latest is pinching socks from the linnen basket, clean or dirty she's not fussy :lol:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1790]rayers[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1689]Bellas Mommy[/MENTION] i'm looking at ur avatars and thinking wow ur puppies are almost identical :luv:

The biting thing slows down and stops eventually only to be replaced by some other criminal behaviour :lol:
Lucy is currently trying her hand at theivery, her latest is pinching socks from the linnen basket, clean or dirty she's not fussy :lol:

Yeah ... with puppies one bad habits seems to be merely substituted by another one!! :luv:

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola went through this phase too and that's when I reached out and found this forum! I was going crazy! :eek: Someone on her suggested coins in a can and it totally saved my life! I'm not being dramatic either, Lola was the worse! We placed pennies in a can and taped the lid back on. Each time she went for our feet we'd shake the can really hard and say, "No biting". She HATES the can! She is so scared of it. We did that a couple of times and she stopped! It was like magic! We still use it for discipline and she is still scared of it! Lola is so stubborn but when she see's the can anywhere close to us she is an angel. :angel: Good luck!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
You can get a spray bottle and fill it with water. When she bites squirt her and tell her NO! Then give her a toy to chew on, when she does praise her for chewing her toy.

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
That's normal, the teeth are just growing. You should buy her chewable toys specifically toy bones which has flavors and can maintain healthy teeth and gums.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.