Penny's toenail :(

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Upon morning inspection and cleaning, I noticed Penny's toenail looks like she has caught it on something :(
She isn't limping, chewing, or acting like she's in any pain, but it is a little swollen. What should I do to get this owie healed up for her? Epsom salt bath with neosporin? or does this need to be a trip to the vet?
651e5b3323ec2a0ccbc86b2a1590ca22.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Upon morning inspection and cleaning, I noticed Penny's toenail looks like she has caught it on something :(
She isn't limping, chewing, or acting like she's in any pain, but it is a little swollen. What should I do to get this owie healed up for her? Epsom salt bath with neosporin? or does this need to be a trip to the vet?

It doesn't look like she quite got to the "quick" part which is good, it would be bleeding if so. I would soak it in some warm epsom, and just file it down to round where she would scratch herself or others. Just keep an eye on the swelling, could just be sore from it being recent. Doesn't look serious enough for a vet visit just yet to me.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco

Yeah I'd clean it out and just watch it for a day or two. If it starts to swell up and she starts biting at it may be a good time to bring her into the vet.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree, clean it and use a little neosporin. If it seems to get more inflamed or infected, head to the vet. Otherwise, I think it will heal up on it's own.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Now that I'm thinking about it, my friend's dog caught he nail in my rug playing with Ruckus once and she ripped the whole thing off. We took her to the vet who basically washed it and said it would grow back...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree with good advice given...Epsom salt soak then Neosporin.

Round off & shorten a bit when less sore...sending hugs to y'all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It doesn't look like she quite got to the "quick" part which is good, it would be bleeding if so. I would soak it in some warm epsom, and just file it down to round where she would scratch herself or others. Just keep an eye on the swelling, could just be sore from it being recent. Doesn't look serious enough for a vet visit just yet to me.

agreed!

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Thanks everyone! I was a little scared because at the base is where the bleeding is coming from :/ I'll watch her and make sure there are no signs of infection, or increased swelling.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.