For those who had/have a puppy...

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
My boy, who by the way will have a name tonight one way or another:eek:, barks and growls like a big dog then attacks and starts biting. I'm sure it's the puppy in him but goodness, he play viscious, lol. None of my previous animals have ever barked and growled as much as him, it's rather cute :heart: Just curious if this is normal or if I have an oddball on my hands.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
LOL! Totally normal :) Belly is 12 weeks old and growls and barks at her big Boston brother and actually stalks him...it's so funny, she looks like a little lioness about to jump her prey. God bless our Boston ...he hasn't taken her head off yet... I'll be glad when she's out of the puppy stage! Biting.. I don't even want to go there... my hands look like I got stuck in a thorn bush... :(

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
he has a Boston sister, Gigi, and she is just too wild for him right now. He's only 7 wks old. I bet he could hold his own, but it makes me nervous so right now we limit their interaction til he's a tiny bit older:)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
He won't grow up biting, he is teething, just like a baby, freeze a cold wash clothe and let him chew on that, it will sooth his gums.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
he has a Boston sister, Gigi, and she is just too wild for him right now. He's only 7 wks old. I bet he could hold his own, but it makes me nervous so right now we limit their interaction til he's a tiny bit older:)

We keep ours apart too as much as we can. Gunner is almost 13 years old and isn't feelin the puppy love. I think they'll be ok when she is a little bigger and not trying to gnaw off his ears.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION], OUCH!!! No wonder Gunner is over it!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
lol! Yeah [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] she can't resist his springy bat like ears got him good yesterday. We got an actual doggy teething toy you freeze yesterday at the pet store. That's an awesome idea on the wash cloth!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Brodie definatley growls when playing with Lola...he sounds so fierce but we know better. It's all puppy stage, I would expect. When we 1st intoduced him and Lola we were worried that Lola would hurt him (she's big/rough and he was so small) but he held his own. I told her in the beginning you better watch it because one day he will be as big as you. She is so good with him and knows when she is playing to rough. Brodie also makes odd noises when picking him up or loving on him while he is sleeping...he kinda moans/groans. It's funny.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Ireland does not growl but she DID bite. I went and bought a spray bottle just for that and it has worked wonders, If I even go to pick it up she quits whatever bad thing she was doing or about to do... Chief was bad with my kids at biting their feet, a couple of swats with a newspaper on his bum stopped that...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy was the same with the biting and attacking ... he had to learn manners and it took some time but he's gradually learning what is and what is not acceptable behaviour!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i posted this in another thread about biting.

hahah! that's a bully. the biting thing is HARD to break, but you just need to be really consistent. when my two were babies and biting terrorists, i would grab them, put them on their backs and hold them down until they stopped struggling. this would take such a long time, but eventually they will submit. everytime he bites you, just put him on his back until he gives up. after a couple weeks he will realize that he just gets dominated everytime and it isn't worth it because the game stops. when you release him you can offer him a toy and if he actually bites it and chews it, make a BIG deal about how good he is. you know they love praise. treat him when he is chewing his toys too, little pieces of cheese or some tiny training treats are good. eventually he will see which behaviors lead to treats and happiness and which lead to him being dominated. lol.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.