We have an escape artist!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We only crate Belle at night or when we leave the house. She's crate trained and seems content in it. We left for church this morning and my husband put her up. We were gone for about 3 hours and I left her with a new chew to keep her busy. As we walked back into the house this afternoon, I heard the jingle of her collar :unsure:. Sure enough, she came waddling down the stairs to greet us. We have NO idea how she got out of her crate. Fortunately she didn't bother anything. She did leave a small poop present in our bedroom floor but that was minor compared to what could have happened. How the heck did she get out?! The crate has two doors and both were latched. How can I keep her from escaping in the future?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You can get clips, like on the leash, or the kind they call "lobster claw" clips, and clip the doors with them. clips.jpgclips2.jpg

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have no advice for the escaping... But be careful leaving chews unsupervised if your girl is a swallower like my frank. I learned that lesson the hard way! Scared me to death when I walked in and he was choking.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I have no advice for the escaping... But be careful leaving chews unsupervised if your girl is a swallower like my frank. I learned that lesson the hard way! Scared me to death when I walked in and he was choking.

I agree about the chews! No rawhide chews allowed-they are very dangerous.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Thanks, I'll look into getting a way to lock it.

I don't feed rawhide at all...I hate it. This was a very large Elk antler...no possible way she could chew it up or swallow it. Trust me, I've assisted with enough obstruction surgeries that I'm very paranoid about what she gets.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i used to work at a dog daycare.... how some of them get out of crates is beyond amazing!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] "you've got to believe in magic..........."

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama "you've got to believe in magic..........."

Some of them had the magic in them... telling you, we would go to the crate and the door was still latched at both ends... just shake our heads

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Some of them had the magic in them... telling you, we would go to the crate and the door was still latched at both ends... just shake our heads

Hahaha! The dogs got out and the crates were latched (with them out)? That's insanity.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hahaha! The dogs got out and the crates were latched (with them out)? That's insanity.

yes, they would be walking up the hallway from the back room and we'd leash them and take them back... the crate was still locked. We suspected they somehow squeezed their body to make the ends (gate/side) separate enough that they fit through -- the dogs that did it most were labs and GSD

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I totally believe it! We are still scratching our heads trying to figure out how she got out. I'm just so thankful she didn't get into any trouble! From the drool marks on the couch it looks like she napped the whole time we were gone :rolleyes:

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Some of the crate door latches are loose enough that if she rubbed up against it the right way it may just have popped open for her wandering pleasure.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] was it emma who pushed her pen just over the stairs so she could have enough room to get out from the bottom? lol..

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
What a cutie Belle is. They can be quite the escape artists I tell ya. Looks like you'll need to add those locking clips to the crate. :up:

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] was it emma who pushed her pen just over the stairs so she could have enough room to get out from the bottom? lol..
:laugh: Yes it was her. Funny you remember, I just saw the pics again to other night. Cracked me up!

When I was working in an office I had the VueZone cameras and just happened to check in on her. There's a crate on the left and she was in the X-pen on the right. Here's what I saw when I peek in. :bigeyes:

All's good, both crates are there as is Emma.
image.jpg

Peeked in an hour later :eek:
image.jpg

She moved it 15 feet across the kitchen and over a runner rug and over the steps
image.jpg

And then she excaped out the bottom :detective:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.