Does your family like your bulldog?

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We picked up Belle last Wednesday and we are SO in love with her. I've been a bit disappointed by our family's reaction though. They have known for a long time about our love of bulldogs so I don't know why they act surprised that we finally got one. My sister thinks she is adorable, but my Mom flat out said that she's cute in a very ugly way. :unsure: My husband's parents just asked how we are going to deal with so much drool and gas and acted disgusted (funny considering they own two little yappers who poop and pee everywhere) No one has met her in person yet...that will happen next month when they come to visit. I'm hoping in person she will be able to charm them, but if not, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I know that bulldogs aren't for everyone, but I was at least expecting more support I guess. Does your family understand your love for bulldogs? How do you handle someone who doesn't?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My dad loves dogs, but my mom isn't a dog person. She tries to care, but they aren't her thing. LOL! She absolutely doesn't get the appeal of dog ownership.

Neither of my parents have met Bella, so I'm not sure how that'll go.

My friends are all dog lovers.

As as far as how to deal...eh, for non-dog people, I'll just keep them separated. It's not a big deal to me. Despite being a dog-lover, I do understand people who aren't into dogs.

ETA: When I told my mom about Bella, she searched Bulldog pictures and said that they're not cute. But, she thinks Bella is cute. I know that Bulldogs don't have a traditional doggy look, but that's what I love. Not everyone will think they're beautiful.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Olivia, I know how you feel, I wanted a bulldog for over 10 years, and I finally got my guys 3 years ago. I am absolutely in love with the EB breed and with my babies. My hubby, son, daughter and grandson feel the same way, and just love them. My Dad is a dog lover, but he doesn't see them very often as he lives up North, and an almost 3 hour drive away. He's had 2 dogs but he likes the Retriever breed, that can run forever, swim, and aren't sensitive to heat and cold, but he is an animal lover so always has a soft heart for any animal. My mom and sister aren't animal lovers and they don't think dogs belong in the house, that they should be outside. :(. My mom calls my guys ugly beasts and hates the dog hair.
She doesn't understand how I can be so obsessed with dogs and she says I'm crazy because I love my dogs so much.
It does hurt my feelings, but I don't let it bother me, it's my home, and I truly love and enjoy my dogs. Like Cali Doll said not everyone will think they are beautiful, or understand what we know and love. I get some people who make comments like " they're ugly dogs", " they're so ugly, they're cute, " they have a face only a mother could love", or " why would you ever choose a dog that can't go outside or play long, they are so lazy", but I get other people who go gaga when they see them and want to pet them and love on them. I have one lady in my complex who loves my dogs so much, she lays on the ground and lets them lick and slime her, she shares food with them and always has a big smile when she sees them.
I look at it this way, we are the lucky ones that we get to have these beautiful animals in our life and we know the beauty and love of an EB. Just enjoy your baby, and maybe when your family meet Bella, she will win them over.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I don't really care what other's think. What matters is that I love mine and I love EB. Any dogs for that matter ! :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have gone thru this w/some of our extended family… honestly I could care LESS what they think. My grandmother thought it was "cruel" that I gave my diabetic cat insulin shots… Lol Some people do not like animals period, so I don't expect them to understand… IMO it's a character flaw.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do not concern yourself with them liking or disliking.... as long as you and hubby love her.. end of story. also, if they come to you home, let them know, she owns the house as much as you and she will not be gated or told not to do something she normally does.

We have parties and on the invite we specifically state 'We have to Bulldogs that own the house and are very kid and people friendly'.... I believe there have been some that do not attend because of it, but ya know what -- party was still great !

The one thing we do have, and was a plan coming into our new home -- the guest bedroom is off limits to the pups. This way if anyone stays over that one room is doggie free :)

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
My immediate and extended family is obsessed with frank. My mom asks for pictures and videos of him almost every day. My boyfriends family loves him too. Even his one aunt who is very much NOT a dog person admitted he was awfully cute and sweet. My parents didn't fall in love with him until they met him though, I really think your family will be equally as charmed when they actually get to see her in person and see how sweet she is :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Everyone likes Castor, even though we don't come from dog-loving families. They may have wondered about us getting a dog in the first place and then choosing a breed with known health issues, but they all like him and respect our decision. I would say the only family member who didn't immediately take a liking to him was my brother's dog but now she too tolerates her young cousin!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is a good thing to show them.... :giggle:

1920530_636258596428607_1142467137_n.jpg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I don't care what anyone thinks especially my faimly. My bully lives here you don't so there is the door if you don't like it.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I'm really hoping that they come around once they meet her. I've already warned my mom that she's allowed on the couch or pretty much wherever she wants. I won't be crating her just because the company doesn't like her...it's her house. My grandparents are totally NOT dog people so it will be interesting :p We are going to have a house full for my son's 5th birthday.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
At first , it took my mom awhile getting used to. When my mom cam over Pork Chop(f) barked at her and my mom got scared of her. As time went on Pork Chop(f) got used to my mom. My dad was different, she adapted well and my dad liked her right away. In the public, I get comments like "she's ugly and cute" only a face a mother can love" etc.. I love this girl, she's my first dog in almost 45 years of my life . I have no regrets getting a rescue she's living life like a queen.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It may take a while, I remember when I first got Tyson my mom said "why did you get that breed, why not a cute little toy dog" I said, bc I don't want a cute little toy dog, I want a bully. Flash forward to present, she loves Ty-Ty so much, she always checks on him, calls him her grand-dog. Hah, they'll come around, I mean how could you resist that face?! And you know what, like the other said, if they don't - its their loss. As long as you love that baby, and she has a good home, that's all that matters!

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
My family loves Guinness, but they all say they couldn't deal with all the drooling and having to clean his nose rope/wrinkles daily. But I guess that is why there are only special people who can be bully parents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My family loves Wheezie and Abbott..their grandparents watch them everyday while my husband and I work..My nephew loves Wheezie she's his protector when he's with us.
cf884e6e9f4fbbb764f0de6301f34678.jpg
c9f41ff4f3395257d35858d239a5170c.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online