What happens when your Bulldog doesn't Play anymore ... :( ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My Maximus has stopped playing. He has lost interest in all bones and chewtoys and at the age of 5 seems to have turned into a "little ole man". I don't know what to do to reignite his interest in playing and toys. Right now he is bothered by Allergies and skin conditions, so perhaps he doesn't feel good. He is on Antibiotics and Antihistamines
and will be going to a Dermatologist in April. I just wish he appeared happier and more playful.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would suggest it would be a good time to have the vet do a good check-up on him including bloodwork… it could be arthritis, allergies, or that he's just getting old. Dogs have a HIGH pain tolerance, and sometimes subtle signs can mean anything… Good luck w/your baby, and please keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is he food motivated? if yes, try a treat dispenser -- we used that for Banks after Nitschke died and she was depressed and would not play

Kong Wobble is a good one.... you can place his meal in it and he will get a work out at the same time

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww maybe you can take Max to the park and throw his ball, or just to let him run around for 15 or 20 minutes. Do you have a leash free park where he could maybe play with some other dogs? There are also places like Petsmart where they have indoor play areas where dogs can play and socialize with each other.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Perhaps the antihistamine is making him sleepy.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well they do slow down around that age, but the antihistamines could also have something to do with it. BeBe and Lucy are 7 and 6 years old and don't want to play much, but will get a wild hair every once in awhile.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Maybe it's just a phase? Mine play sometimes everyday and then they can go days, weeks without any interest really. I think a vet checkup doesn't hurt though, it will also give you peace of mind:)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I think it has to do with the allergies, yes - they do slow down with time... but Tyson still likes to play and while we were battling with his allergies & yeast, he wanted nothing to do with anything or anyone. He just wanted to sleep. Once we got him on meds, and he felt better, he was back to himself :) But nothing compared to his younger days for sure.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Not sure what antihistamines they are on, but Benadryl is one, and that'll knock you out.. So maybe that is it.. My 10 yo gets fussy, and I think " This is a Bulldog!!! and 10!!! but still full of P and V" Never thought a porkchop would still be so active..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.