Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny, Angel, and Jackson
    Likes (Received)

Default Jackson's hair feels awful!

I've been battling Jackson's terrible coarse hair since we got him, and I give up! We changed to Fromm's puppy in the pink bag and Penny's hair feels amazing, and Angel has always felt like a fake dog she's so soft, but not Jackson! We do NuVet Plus with breakfast, yogurt with lunch and dinner, and cottage cheese as a bedtime snack. We only give all natural treats, but usually they get turkey bacon, I usually premake and freeze a pack or two of turkey bacon, breakfast for us, treats for them! Anyway, we bathe them all with earthbath puppy shampoo every two or 3 weeks. We use baby wipes to clean them up everyday at least once a day, and MalAcetic wipes about every two or three days. He doesn't have any skin problems, no itchiness or anything. I think he may have a slight allergy to grass, but as long as I wipe him off after he comes inside from rolling around everywhere he's fine.
    Should I change shampoos, or add a supplement? Both? I searched the forum for dog shampoos and saw a lot of people use a shampoo with oatmeal and tea tree oil, should I try that? I've even went so far as to try my Wen ultra super duper dry hair treatment it made his hair shiny! But, it still felt like crap.....

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jackson's hair feels awful!

Maybe his fur is a bit rough naturally? My bulldogs have very different fur, Boeboe is soft like velvet while Joey and Bennie has got rougher longer hairs that sticks to everything. They are still kind of soft but the hairs are totally different from Boeboe. It sounds like yours are still puppies? The hair might change over time. If he doesn't have any medical issues such as rashes or redness I wouldn't worry to much about it. I think someone here said that rinsing them with a mix of water and Apple Cider Vinegar after bath keeps them soft... but I don't remember the ratio
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brandi, I agree with Petra's advice above, every bully is different, and since you're already using great food and products, this may just be his normal hair. You can try adding an Omega supplement such Salmon Oil or Coconut Oil to see if that helps. I rinse our guys with equal parts white vinegar and warm water after shampooing, this keeps their coat soft, and also helps to keep them smelling nice in between their baths. You don't need to use apple cider vinegar for bathing, as it is more expensive than white vinegar. ACV has health benefits when added to the drinking water or to the kibble.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Ruckus's fur isn't as super soft on his back as some bulldogs I've met. I also feel like Ruckus has thicker fur than the velvety soft coats. I give him fish oil supplements with his food and alternate between a medicated duoxo shampoo and a moisturizing oatmeal shampoo. Both of these things have helped, but I don't think Ruckus will ever have that baby fine fur.

Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pugsley
    Likes (Received)

My Pugsley has really coarse hair too. I think its just him. Even his siblings had softer hair than him. I use some of the same products you do. I don't think there's anything else to do.

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Frank has coarse hair along the middle of his back and the softer hair on the sides. I'm expecting his full adult coat to be pretty coarse. Like others have suggested, maybe that's just how Jackson's natural coat is. Sounds like you're talking great care of his coat regardless

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Brandi, I agree with Petra's advice above, every bully is different, and since you're already using great food and products, this may just be his normal hair. You can try adding an Omega supplement such Salmon Oil or Coconut Oil to see if that helps. I rinse our guys with equal parts white vinegar and warm water after shampooing, this keeps their coat soft, and also helps to keep them smelling nice in between their baths. You don't need to use apple cider vinegar for bathing, as it is more expensive than white vinegar. ACV has health benefits when added to the drinking water or to the kibble.
    I'll try the vinegar when bath time comes around again. My thinking was if Penny had a sleak, shinny, coat then Jackson should, too -they're litter mates- I was going to try fish oil or coconut oil, from what I've read they're both very similar, is that right? I actually had a dream that I went to buy coconut oil and it was in a tanning lotion bottle. Haha! Oh my brain, it's missing summer apparently!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Some bullies just have coarse hair and there is nothing you can do about it. Our BeBe has coarse hair, more so than the others.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

agree with the others.... he may just have course hair. Our Nitschke did, his was course, where as Banks was very soft that we called her velour head at times
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I ordered new oatmel and aloe shampoo from pet flow to try with their next bath along with rinsing with vinegar, and I'm going to try giving them all fish oil, too. It can't hurt, unless one turns out to be allergic, agh! I noticed today while giving him a very good scratch that the coarser areas seem to be shedding off. Fingers crossed it comes back softer!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

I noticed about 2 months ago how my Bentley,s coat had gone really course & dull. I started using Salmon oil on his food twice aday.After a month his hair turned as soft as silk & really glossy.I shall continue with the Salmon oil for long term now.I also give him natural yogurt fat free on his food every morning.Try this & see if you can notice the difference.

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley014 View Post
    I noticed about 2 months ago how my Bentley,s coat had gone really course & dull. I started using Salmon oil on his food twice aday.After a month his hair turned as soft as silk & really glossy.I shall continue with the Salmon oil for long term now.I also give him natural yogurt fat free on his food every morning.Try this & see if you can notice the difference.
    Hum, I've never heard of using salmon oil before. Did you try regular fish oil to compare results?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads