he hates his kennel

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
just give it time. you have to remember that puppies are used to sleeping with all their littermates and they have always had puppies to cuddle with and make them feel safe. now, in your home, they are alone and nervous in this crate. they are just crying because they are looking for the comfort and security that they had previously. they will eventually get over it and learn to love their crates. their crates are their own private safe place, but as of right now it is still new. you can put a tshirt that you have worn in the crate for them to sleep on, your smell will help to relax them. just fight the urge to come get them. you don't want to reinforce that behavior. and then when they get older and can hold their peepees all night, they can sleep in bed with you!!!!:up:

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
yea everyone is right...you have to be patient when we got sparkles she was only 10 weeks old and she cried and cried the first couple days. good luck.. keep us posted

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Wow, my girls must be abnormal! We got Gertie at 6 weeks and Ida was 12 weeks, and they both gave us no problem at all with sleeping in their crates.

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
last night he did some better. we moved him to the next room because at first he cried alot. I heard him severa times through the night ncrying but it only lasted a few minutes each time... he will be in it tonight too when we are at work, so maybe he will come around sooner than I thought :up:

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
Am i missing something...i have never crated dogs with the exception of last 2 days coz i didnt want my rottie outside in these cold temps and since hes not fixed i didnt want him taking Codas virginity...nevertheless i have never crated a dog unless for transportation...so do alot of you crate and if so other than apartment living why?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I found this older thread and thought I would comment even though you have probably gotten past this. Gator loved his crate from day one. Not a peep and he would go in on his own accord. Lucy the Basset on the other hand had fits for about the first week. Even now at 8 years old, she never goes in there on her own until bed time when I say "time for bed" and they go into their crates on their own. Just remember, don't open the door when they are whining or crying! Wait until they are quiet. If you do, they will think that if they whine or cry, the door will open.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Awww! He is just a baby so of course she will cry and whine for a while, but I think He will get use to it. Put his blankies in there with his and your scent in them as this will help. Mocha sleeps with me cause I just got to sad after 3 days and ever since She sleeps with us. But I think i should have been a little bit stronger and she would have gotten used to it.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1656]kiss1069[/MENTION] I never understood crating until recently either. We grew up with dogs but never thought to crate them ever. When we got Cutty he was crate trained and slept in it every night but when we got home and had a crate for him he told us he didnt want to go in and that was it. He has slept in our bed ever since, talk about suckers right? haha We returned the crate the next day and never looked back. BUT now after being on the forum I have realized they are important and even a nice safe den for the pups to go to. If I had a pup now I would probably try it at least.

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
AW! I'm so sad for your baby and yourself! The first couple of days are the worse- BUT they do get better! I didn't start Lola right away in the kennel as they are scared. They have been removed from their brothers and sisters and are in a whole new environment. The 1st week of Lola arriving to our house we put her in the bathroom. We baby gated the door so she couldn't get out then, I put a blanket, a pee pee pad, and removed everything and anything she could possibly pee on or chew. Then I started to slowly introduce her to her kennel. I'd leave the door open and put her blanket in there. She'd sniff around, go in and out, and eventually she'd sleep in it. She still doesn't 100% like her kennel but she that's where she sleeps every night. :) Good luck!

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I know that both my smaller dogs like being kenneled without a problem but i just dont do it...even the rottie runs into a kennel instead of being out in the cold but again the only reason id do it is if it was to keep them seperate or for transportation

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.