he hates his kennel

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Last night was the first night we tried putting the pup in his kennel. I put a blanket in the front half and a puppy pad in the back, just like the breeder said she had done. He whined, screamed, and growled for several hours and since I had to work this morning, I had to get some sleep so I took him out and put him in a clothes basket with a blanket in it between randal and I.(since he peed on my bed 3 times already) After that he settled down and slept like a baby. I feel bad because today is his first day at home alone and I'm sure he has cried all day :*( How do I make him love his kennel and not scream all night?:confused:

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
It takes time.

Emmitt cried for hours the first night, maybe half an hour the second night, etc....It was only a couple of days before he was quiet.

I've heard if you feed them in the crate that helps, but if it was his first night, I think that's normal. I would just give it a little more time.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sorry, not much help on this. I got Stig when he was 5 months old, and although it was his first time in a kennel, he did ok. We only had to wait for him to go to sleep the first few nights, then we quietly snuck away after. He cried and whined a little, but only for a few days.

I read somewhere that some people put the kennel in their room for the first little while. At least, this way, the puppy will know you're close by, yet still be in his crate. Then once he's used to it, you can move the crate where you'd like it to be.

L

Lucy-licious

Time and perseverance is the key. Lucy cried and created less each night xx

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi hated hers at first too. But I kept putting her in it.
Like others have said it got less every time. During the day
I would put her in there when I went anywhere. Eventually
she got use to it. Now she will go in there on her own and
go to sleep. So I'd say time that is the main thing.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Patience, Patience, Consistent, Consistent....This to will pass!

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
i went to town today and put him in there and i figured he'd still be screaming when I came home but he wasn't making a peep:whew: so maybe this is a start, we will see how he does tonight.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester did OK as a new puppy - just by the way we had his pen set up. But the first time we actually put the crate together. .OH BOY..he didn't like it at all, but, we kept him in there and he cried. Now, he loves it, he'll go in his crate when he wants to get away from all of us annoying humans ;)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Belly screamed and cried a lot in the beginning.. we don't put her in there because she keeps getting pinched on something...I bought a super huge kennel .. she has a puppy corral with her bed, toys and some pee pads and doesn't make a peep. When she's big enough and I'm not afraid of her falling out of bed and breaking a limb, she'll just sleep with us. I never was any good with any of the dogs and getting them to sleep in their crate.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
It takes time, we were very lucky with Guinness. He cried the first few nights for 30 minutes at a time and then would stop and go to bed. What we learned was to wait till he feel asleep and was in a deep sleep before we moved him to his crate at night, it wasn't a fix all but helped a lot. He is at a point now after having him for a month that I will put him in his crate without any issue and not make a peep. We would put him in his crate for sometime everyday and went for a ride just to get him use to being in his crate. It takes time and most of all patience. My gf would be extremely upset upon hearing him cry and wanted to take him out of his crate but we didn't and it definately helped. Good luck with everything and consistency is key!!

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Cheez.......I guess I'm the only old fart around here who remembers wind up clocks. He (her) misses Momma. so.......the ticking of the clock reminds them of the beating of Mommas heart. Go to Walgreens and buy an old fashion alarm clock and put it in his cage wrapped in a blanket. This usually works.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You just need to be consistent and persistent. The moment you give in and let him out then he's won! Everytime you respond to the crying and temper tantrums by taking him out of his cage, you are teaching and reinforcing the idea that if he does this then he gets rewarded. Therefore, screaming the house down every time I go in the cage means I get lots of hugs and kisses ... yay, I'll just keep doing it and doing it and doing it!! Bullys ain't dumb!! :whistle:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
well lex is crate trained but he hates it always has. we were very presistant w him even got bo a kennel hoping that would help him but it never did. lex has been great we dont crate him when we leave and he either plays with his toys or sleeps in his spot on the couch. if we go somewhere were we have to crate him he does fine but just pouts the whole time lol

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is 7wks old and she also cries and cries and barks at night in the crate. She is in the crate during the day and doesnt make a peep but at night when its bedtime she whines.

Members online