Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: he hates his kennel

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: he hates his kennel

You just need to be consistent and persistent. The moment you give in and let him out then he's won! Everytime you respond to the crying and temper tantrums by taking him out of his cage, you are teaching and reinforcing the idea that if he does this then he gets rewarded. Therefore, screaming the house down every time I go in the cage means I get lots of hugs and kisses ... yay, I'll just keep doing it and doing it and doing it!! Bullys ain't dumb!!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

well lex is crate trained but he hates it always has. we were very presistant w him even got bo a kennel hoping that would help him but it never did. lex has been great we dont crate him when we leave and he either plays with his toys or sleeps in his spot on the couch. if we go somewhere were we have to crate him he does fine but just pouts the whole time lol

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Bella is 7wks old and she also cries and cries and barks at night in the crate. She is in the crate during the day and doesnt make a peep but at night when its bedtime she whines.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

just give it time. you have to remember that puppies are used to sleeping with all their littermates and they have always had puppies to cuddle with and make them feel safe. now, in your home, they are alone and nervous in this crate. they are just crying because they are looking for the comfort and security that they had previously. they will eventually get over it and learn to love their crates. their crates are their own private safe place, but as of right now it is still new. you can put a tshirt that you have worn in the crate for them to sleep on, your smell will help to relax them. just fight the urge to come get them. you don't want to reinforce that behavior. and then when they get older and can hold their peepees all night, they can sleep in bed with you!!!!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

we want him to sleep with us for sure when he's older. thanks for all the reassurance, i was just so frustrated last night

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)

yea everyone is right...you have to be patient when we got sparkles she was only 10 weeks old and she cried and cried the first couple days. good luck.. keep us posted
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

Wow, my girls must be abnormal! We got Gertie at 6 weeks and Ida was 12 weeks, and they both gave us no problem at all with sleeping in their crates.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

last night he did some better. we moved him to the next room because at first he cried alot. I heard him severa times through the night ncrying but it only lasted a few minutes each time... he will be in it tonight too when we are at work, so maybe he will come around sooner than I thought

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member kiss1069's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Coda
    Likes (Received)

Am i missing something...i have never crated dogs with the exception of last 2 days coz i didnt want my rottie outside in these cold temps and since hes not fixed i didnt want him taking Codas virginity...nevertheless i have never crated a dog unless for transportation...so do alot of you crate and if so other than apartment living why?

"So Let It Be Written"

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I found this older thread and thought I would comment even though you have probably gotten past this. Gator loved his crate from day one. Not a peep and he would go in on his own accord. Lucy the Basset on the other hand had fits for about the first week. Even now at 8 years old, she never goes in there on her own until bed time when I say "time for bed" and they go into their crates on their own. Just remember, don't open the door when they are whining or crying! Wait until they are quiet. If you do, they will think that if they whine or cry, the door will open.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

Awww! He is just a baby so of course she will cry and whine for a while, but I think He will get use to it. Put his blankies in there with his and your scent in them as this will help. Mocha sleeps with me cause I just got to sad after 3 days and ever since She sleeps with us. But I think i should have been a little bit stronger and she would have gotten used to it.
    LisaMarie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

this is an old thread. he is ok with his kennel now, still tries to not go in, we have to make him but he doesnt cry anymore. hes 4 months old now.
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads