Thread: Gunner is getting neutered tomorrow...

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunner
    Likes (Received)

Default Gunner is getting neutered tomorrow...

So my Gunner is going in to get neutered tomorrow and I wanted to know if anyone can offer some information on what I can expect after the procedure. Also Gunner sleeps upstairs in our bedroom in a pen with a dog bed, but he doesn't go up and down the stairs... We carry him up and down. We live in an older house with very steep uncarpeted stairs that are varnished so they are very slick. Would it be ok to keep carrying him up and down for the few days after the procedure or should I try to relocate him downstairs for a few days?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gunner is getting neutered tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by SMammers816 View Post
    So my Gunner is going in to get neutered tomorrow and I wanted to know if anyone can offer some information on what I can expect after the procedure. Also Gunner sleeps upstairs in our bedroom in a pen with a dog bed, but he doesn't go up and down the stairs... We carry him up and down. We live in an older house with very steep uncarpeted stairs that are varnished so they are very slick. Would it be ok to keep carrying him up and down for the few days after the procedure or should I try to relocate him downstairs for a few days?
    I'm no expert but when Goob was neutered I slept downstairs with him on the floor for about a week. I imagine that if you hold him the right way, he might be ok being carried but I would wait a few days. I would be worried about hurting the incision area by accident.

Goob never seemed to be in pain after his procedure. We just had to keep him calm because he wanted to play. We kept him in a carpeted area so he wasn't slipping and sliding as well. They sent us home with a "cone of shame" but we never put it on him because it was physically impossible for Goob to lick that area haha. Hope all goes well with little Gunner. He is super cute!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Good luck, Gunner! He will be fine, being carried, as long as his butt is supported, and he is not hanging, stretched out. If you find that he can't lick his surgical area, he won't need the cone(I hate the cone!!)
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpgHi, first I want to wish Gunner good luck for his surgery tomorrow and a quick recovery. I agree with Goob14 (sorry I don't know your real name) and Lynn's comments above. He will be fine and the recovery for neuter surgery is very quick, I found the hardest part after Dozer's neuter surgery was keeping him quiet and not letting him jump and play. He wanted to jump up and down off the ouch and he wanted to play. I kept him crated for the first couple of days except for potty breaks and eating, mostly because we also have Blossom and we disn't want them playing rough with each other, plus he was on pain meds and was quite sleepy. We also didn't use the cone, and it wasn't a problem, he didn't even try to lick the surgical area, not that he would have been able to reach it. Lol. You could carry him up the stairs as long as you are careful as Lynn said, or it may be easier to place his crate in the living room until he heals.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Good luck... sending lots of positive thoughts. Hoep all went well
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It's been a few years since the boys had their neuter, but I also recall the recovery period to be pretty uneventful and short. You mainly don't want Gunner to be jumping up/down and staying fairly "inactive" for a day or two. If it were me, I'd probably want to just bunk down on the first floor with him those 1st couple of days post-neuter.

I know he will be just fine!

Remove Ads