Gunner is getting neutered tomorrow...

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
So my Gunner is going in to get neutered tomorrow and I wanted to know if anyone can offer some information on what I can expect after the procedure. Also Gunner sleeps upstairs in our bedroom in a pen with a dog bed, but he doesn't go up and down the stairs... We carry him up and down. We live in an older house with very steep uncarpeted stairs that are varnished so they are very slick. Would it be ok to keep carrying him up and down for the few days after the procedure or should I try to relocate him downstairs for a few days?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
So my Gunner is going in to get neutered tomorrow and I wanted to know if anyone can offer some information on what I can expect after the procedure. Also Gunner sleeps upstairs in our bedroom in a pen with a dog bed, but he doesn't go up and down the stairs... We carry him up and down. We live in an older house with very steep uncarpeted stairs that are varnished so they are very slick. Would it be ok to keep carrying him up and down for the few days after the procedure or should I try to relocate him downstairs for a few days?

I'm no expert but when Goob was neutered I slept downstairs with him on the floor for about a week. I imagine that if you hold him the right way, he might be ok being carried but I would wait a few days. I would be worried about hurting the incision area by accident.

Goob never seemed to be in pain after his procedure. We just had to keep him calm because he wanted to play. We kept him in a carpeted area so he wasn't slipping and sliding as well. They sent us home with a "cone of shame" but we never put it on him because it was physically impossible for Goob to lick that area haha. Hope all goes well with little Gunner. He is super cute!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Good luck, Gunner! He will be fine, being carried, as long as his butt is supported, and he is not hanging, stretched out. If you find that he can't lick his surgical area, he won't need the cone(I hate the cone!!)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgHi, first I want to wish Gunner good luck for his surgery tomorrow and a quick recovery. I agree with Goob14 (sorry I don't know your real name) and Lynn's comments above. He will be fine and the recovery for neuter surgery is very quick, I found the hardest part after Dozer's neuter surgery was keeping him quiet and not letting him jump and play. He wanted to jump up and down off the ouch and he wanted to play. I kept him crated for the first couple of days except for potty breaks and eating, mostly because we also have Blossom and we disn't want them playing rough with each other, plus he was on pain meds and was quite sleepy. We also didn't use the cone, and it wasn't a problem, he didn't even try to lick the surgical area, not that he would have been able to reach it. Lol. You could carry him up the stairs as long as you are careful as Lynn said, or it may be easier to place his crate in the living room until he heals.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good luck... sending lots of positive thoughts. Hoep all went well

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
It's been a few years since the boys had their neuter, but I also recall the recovery period to be pretty uneventful and short. You mainly don't want Gunner to be jumping up/down and staying fairly "inactive" for a day or two. If it were me, I'd probably want to just bunk down on the first floor with him those 1st couple of days post-neuter.

I know he will be just fine!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.