Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

Default Kidney Stone Surgery

On Friday, George peed twice in the house. He hasn't had an accident inside since he was a puppy. We thought maybe he was acting out because his grandparents were in town. He continued to have small accidents throughout the weekend and on Sunday we discovered blood and a small (size of a pin head) stone. I took him to the vet Monday with the stone in tow and after some xrays and urine testing we discovered he has a UTI, inflamed bladder and a mass in his bladder. The vet decided to have him come back today for observations and another xray. They then decided that he was going to need to have surgery tomorrow to remove the mass that they believe to be kidney stones too big for him to pass. I feel awful and am so upset about him having to go under because I know it is a hardship on bulldogs. What can I do to make him comfortable and make sure I do my part for everything to go smoothly? Has anyone had experience with this or have any words of encouragement to make me feel better?? I am a wreck and I want to do the best for him. He is only one and a half. Will be 2 in August.
    Follow George on Instagram-- @georgemichaelthebulldog

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kidney Stone Surgery

Poor baby! Glad you caught it before it got worse, great job!

I don't know much about this type of surgery but many members have had it done. Recently @RiiSi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

I just wish I had more information from people who have gone through this. I'm super stressed and feel like he can sense that I am nervous and uncomfortable.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry this happening to you. I've no experience on kidney stones, but my boy Usko just had a surgery to remove bladder stones about a 1 1/2 months ago. That was his second operation, the first one was when he about a year old. My Usko also has a problem with stitches, but I don't go in to that....

Try not to be stressed, for him, he will sence it. Believe me, I know it's not easy, but try. If the stones or a mass is in his bladder they will open it and flush them out. I don't want to sugar coat this, it's no picnic, but he will be OK. He will be sore for awhile and need a lot of rest. You will have to take him out every 3 hours the first day, then 4 hours and so on...even at night. He will be peeing blood for a few days. Usko stopped peeing blood after five days.
    But it's very good that you caught it early, before a possible blockage. Kidney or bladder stones are also painful when they're present, so it's important to remove them right away. It's also VERY important to know what type of stones they are. There are quite a few and the treatment, which basicly is diet, is different for all of them. My boy has a genetic defect and he is prone to develope urate stones, it's called hyperuricosuria.
    Hang in there, he'll be just great after a few weeks. If you have any question, just ask.

Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

I believe they are in his bladder. Not sure why I keep saying kidney. Probably because husband was in hospital beginning of the year with kidney stones. They found a mass in the bladder and that is what they are flushing out. I am nervous as all hell. Trust my vet and George loves her. I just want everything to be okay and do anything I can to make him comfortable. He sleeps in the bed with us. Post-Op where would be the best place for him? We have a LoveSac (giant bean bag) that he likes to sleep on. Should I just sleep with him on that after surgery?? I'm clueless about this and am turning into a wreck.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

It's better if he don't jump on furniture for awhile. The best place after a surgery is a crate, but if he doesn't have one or is not accustomed to it then on the floor in his own bed. You don't have to be with him in the bed, just near him will be enough, since he's use to it. After surgery their body temperature will be lower, so a blanket is good too. These guys are very resilient and he will be just fine before you know it.-dsc_0076-jpgThis is my guy about 2 weeks after his second surgery.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with this type of surgery or issue.... Riikka has responded and she has had expereince with her boy Usko. sending lots of prayers all goes well. please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@BulldogMomma I am so sorry about not responding. I have been without electric and it just came on a little ago. I had a Pomeranian, who had bladder stones. Her little bladder was full, and some of the stones were the size of moth balls! I know she was not a bullie-but you must have faith in your vet, and your baby will get through this fine. He probably should take it a little easy, until the stitches are out-and not much jumping and running. I am praying for you baby and you and sure all will go well.
    We all are scared to death, whenever our dogs are not well-and/or having surgery.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

Bladder stones are the reason why I got Miss Daisey (at 2 years of age). Her backyard breeder took her to the vet because she was peeing blood. When the vet informed her that she had 4 stones about 1 inch round, the breeder decided that she did not want to pay.... because she was not producing for her. So our vet talked the breeder into surrendering her to me and shortly after she had surgery to remove the stones.

Miss Daisey was not very active when we got her, because of the severity of the stones and because the breeder beat her because she could not produce. So Saturday and Sunday she more or less just laid on the couch after I lifted her. I tried to make her as comfortable with many blankets, and kept the activity in our house to a minimum (we had 4 other dogs at the time).

Her surgery went well, but I really had no concerns because I trust my vet 100%. For the next month or two, I did not let her jump on anything.... which was not really hard. You see she was beat so bad that she would only crawl across the floor and would not walk or jump. The whole situation was not bad at all, but I have been through many other major surgeries with dogs prior to this.

I kissed a Bulldog and I loved it.....there is nothing better in this world than a Senior Bulldog.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Any news on George yet?
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

We are going to pick him up now. Vet said he had two very large masses that had we not caught them when they did would probably have killed him. I am so thankful that he made it through okay. I have been a wreck and felt like I did something to cause this. I just hate thinking that he has no idea what is going on and that we just dropped him off and now boom he's getting cut open. She said that his scar was pretty large and that he was going to be pretty sore for the next few days. They are sending the stones off to the lab to see what the make up is. I have been a raging bitch since he got sick and just want to do absolutely everything I can for him.. I am worried because he is so young and active that I am going to have trouble making sure he stays calm and still. I have to go back to work Tomorrow and I am petrified to leave him. My husband will be home with him tomorrow and Friday during the week, but next week he is going back to Atlanta and George will be home alone most of the day... Is this a bad idea? Should I have him stay at the vet since it is so close to surgery?

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I think by next week it will be ok for him to be alone. Maybe you can go home at lunch time or sometime during your work day to check on him? Is George crate trained? It would be a good idea to have him rest in his crate while he recuperates. I am glad George did good through the surgery and that you caught it right away.
    My smooshy face boy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads