BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
On Friday, George peed twice in the house. He hasn't had an accident inside since he was a puppy. We thought maybe he was acting out because his grandparents were in town. He continued to have small accidents throughout the weekend and on Sunday we discovered blood and a small (size of a pin head) stone. I took him to the vet Monday with the stone in tow and after some xrays and urine testing we discovered he has a UTI, inflamed bladder and a mass in his bladder. The vet decided to have him come back today for observations and another xray. They then decided that he was going to need to have surgery tomorrow to remove the mass that they believe to be kidney stones too big for him to pass. I feel awful and am so upset about him having to go under because I know it is a hardship on bulldogs. What can I do to make him comfortable and make sure I do my part for everything to go smoothly? Has anyone had experience with this or have any words of encouragement to make me feel better?? I am a wreck and I want to do the best for him. He is only one and a half. Will be 2 in August.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor baby! Glad you caught it before it got worse, great job!

I don't know much about this type of surgery but many members have had it done. Recently [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
I just wish I had more information from people who have gone through this. I'm super stressed and feel like he can sense that I am nervous and uncomfortable.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry this happening to you. I've no experience on kidney stones, but my boy Usko just had a surgery to remove bladder stones about a 1 1/2 months ago. That was his second operation, the first one was when he about a year old. My Usko also has a problem with stitches, but I don't go in to that....

Try not to be stressed, for him, he will sence it. Believe me, I know it's not easy, but try. If the stones or a mass is in his bladder they will open it and flush them out. I don't want to sugar coat this, it's no picnic, but he will be OK. He will be sore for awhile and need a lot of rest. You will have to take him out every 3 hours the first day, then 4 hours and so on...even at night. He will be peeing blood for a few days. Usko stopped peeing blood after five days.
But it's very good that you caught it early, before a possible blockage. Kidney or bladder stones are also painful when they're present, so it's important to remove them right away. It's also VERY important to know what type of stones they are. There are quite a few and the treatment, which basicly is diet, is different for all of them. My boy has a genetic defect and he is prone to develope urate stones, it's called hyperuricosuria.
Hang in there, he'll be just great after a few weeks. If you have any question, just ask.

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
I believe they are in his bladder. Not sure why I keep saying kidney. Probably because husband was in hospital beginning of the year with kidney stones. They found a mass in the bladder and that is what they are flushing out. I am nervous as all hell. Trust my vet and George loves her. I just want everything to be okay and do anything I can to make him comfortable. He sleeps in the bed with us. Post-Op where would be the best place for him? We have a LoveSac (giant bean bag) that he likes to sleep on. Should I just sleep with him on that after surgery?? I'm clueless about this and am turning into a wreck.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's better if he don't jump on furniture for awhile. The best place after a surgery is a crate, but if he doesn't have one or is not accustomed to it then on the floor in his own bed. You don't have to be with him in the bed, just near him will be enough, since he's use to it. After surgery their body temperature will be lower, so a blanket is good too. These guys are very resilient and he will be just fine before you know it. DSC_0076.jpgThis is my guy about 2 weeks after his second surgery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this type of surgery or issue.... Riikka has responded and she has had expereince with her boy Usko. sending lots of prayers all goes well. please keep us posted

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@BulldogMomma I am so sorry about not responding. I have been without electric and it just came on a little ago. I had a Pomeranian, who had bladder stones. Her little bladder was full, and some of the stones were the size of moth balls! I know she was not a bullie-but you must have faith in your vet, and your baby will get through this fine. He probably should take it a little easy, until the stitches are out-and not much jumping and running. I am praying for you baby and you and sure all will go well.:pray:
We all are scared to death, whenever our dogs are not well-and/or having surgery.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Bladder stones are the reason why I got Miss Daisey (at 2 years of age). Her backyard breeder took her to the vet because she was peeing blood. When the vet informed her that she had 4 stones about 1 inch round, the breeder decided that she did not want to pay.... because she was not producing for her. So our vet talked the breeder into surrendering her to me and shortly after she had surgery to remove the stones.

Miss Daisey was not very active when we got her, because of the severity of the stones and because the breeder beat her because she could not produce. So Saturday and Sunday she more or less just laid on the couch after I lifted her. I tried to make her as comfortable with many blankets, and kept the activity in our house to a minimum (we had 4 other dogs at the time).

Her surgery went well, but I really had no concerns because I trust my vet 100%. For the next month or two, I did not let her jump on anything.... which was not really hard. You see she was beat so bad that she would only crawl across the floor and would not walk or jump. The whole situation was not bad at all, but I have been through many other major surgeries with dogs prior to this.

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
We are going to pick him up now. Vet said he had two very large masses that had we not caught them when they did would probably have killed him. I am so thankful that he made it through okay. I have been a wreck and felt like I did something to cause this. I just hate thinking that he has no idea what is going on and that we just dropped him off and now boom he's getting cut open. She said that his scar was pretty large and that he was going to be pretty sore for the next few days. They are sending the stones off to the lab to see what the make up is. I have been a raging bitch since he got sick and just want to do absolutely everything I can for him.. I am worried because he is so young and active that I am going to have trouble making sure he stays calm and still. I have to go back to work Tomorrow and I am petrified to leave him. My husband will be home with him tomorrow and Friday during the week, but next week he is going back to Atlanta and George will be home alone most of the day... Is this a bad idea? Should I have him stay at the vet since it is so close to surgery?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think by next week it will be ok for him to be alone. Maybe you can go home at lunch time or sometime during your work day to check on him? Is George crate trained? It would be a good idea to have him rest in his crate while he recuperates. I am glad George did good through the surgery and that you caught it right away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are going to pick him up now. Vet said he had two very large masses that had we not caught them when they did would probably have killed him. I am so thankful that he made it through okay. I have been a wreck and felt like I did something to cause this. I just hate thinking that he has no idea what is going on and that we just dropped him off and now boom he's getting cut open. She said that his scar was pretty large and that he was going to be pretty sore for the next few days. They are sending the stones off to the lab to see what the make up is. I have been a raging bitch since he got sick and just want to do absolutely everything I can for him.. I am worried because he is so young and active that I am going to have trouble making sure he stays calm and still. I have to go back to work Tomorrow and I am petrified to leave him. My husband will be home with him tomorrow and Friday during the week, but next week he is going back to Atlanta and George will be home alone most of the day... Is this a bad idea? Should I have him stay at the vet since it is so close to surgery?

Happy to hear all went well..... crate him or gate him off in a smaller area to prevent jumping or trying to get on furniture or steps. As long as he is crated when you are not home he should be fine and sleep most of the time.
Try to breathe and reelax.... George needs you calm so he knows not to be scared -- if you are scared or nervous he will be.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Glad to hear George pulled through like a champ! The pain meds they will have him on will keep him pretty drowsy & loopy, so do not let that alarm you. Tyson had to have abdominal surgery on Jan 5, his incision ran down more than half his stomach! I died when I saw it. The best thing to do is lay with him when you are home or keep him crated if not. We slept with Tyson on the floor for the first 2 nights post-op. The best advise I can give you is make sure you stay on his meds, and let him be. Meaning, let him relax, don't mess with him too much, because he will be grumpy from the pain. Get him a nice warm blanket, pillows, anything just to make him comfy. Once you are past the first 24/48 hr post op, he should be perfectly fine alone. Again, just crate him or enclose him in a small space, so he's not running around & risking the incision be opened.

We too felt incredibly responsible for Tyson, it was out fault for leaving socks where he could get to them. (He ate 3 socks by the way) and had to have the 3rd removed via exploratory surgery. He vomited the first 2. We know you are scared & stressed out... we have all been there, I promise. Its the most horrible feeling ever. But remember this, he can sense your nerves, so even if its hard, try your best to stay calm. Just let him get through tonight nice & relaxed, and I promise he'll be okay! We are about a month and 2 weeks post op on Tyson, and honestly it was a slow recovery for him bc he's older, but we definitely see improvement everyday, just watch he'll bounce back in no time. Prayers for quick healing, and for calmed nerves. He has a good mama to take care of him, ;)

PS - I still watch him all throughout the day via our house cameras, so crazy mamas unite here! Haha

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so glad to be reading this update and that George came through his surgery and he is coming home. He will be okay and he will heal quickly. The hardest part will be keeping him quiet and not jumping. The first couple of days he will be pretty sleepy from the pain medication so he will probably sleep a lot. The best place for him is in a crate if you have one, but if not can you gate him on his pillow in a safe area where he can rest, like the kitchen or other area?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.