OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
He is miserable and mopey. We have him on a big pillow/bean bag thing on the floor in our smallest bedroom. He doesn't want to go outside to use the bathroom. Just had an accident without getting up. Any advice on how to make sure he goes out without him being too uncomfortable? I don't want his incision to get infected or anything from him using the bathroom on himself. The incision area is gnarly looking :*(.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is miserable and mopey. We have him on a big pillow/bean bag thing on the floor in our smallest bedroom. He doesn't want to go outside to use the bathroom. Just had an accident without getting up. Any advice on how to make sure he goes out without him being too uncomfortable? I don't want his incision to get infected or anything from him using the bathroom on himself. The incision area is gnarly looking :*(.

maybe get some puppy pads and let him use those for a day or two... he may just be out of it -- so soon after the procedure.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So glad to hear that George's surgery went well but sorry to hear he is miserable. I agree with Christine, maybe try some puppy pads for a couple of days and change them out often. Did the vet give you anything to keep his incision area clean at all?

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] They didn't give us anything and our instructions were to not put anything on the wound. When he had the accident earlier, husband picked him up for me to change out towels and blankets and I dabbed him off as carefully as I could. He has to go back tomorrow to have his IV taken out so I will ask them what they suggest or if they will clean him off. They also put him on Royal Canine Urinary SO food. Said this would be what he needed to keep his pH in his urine balanced. Anyone on this at the current moment or been on it? He was eating Fromm Beef Fritata.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Biogirl71 They didn't give us anything and our instructions were to not put anything on the wound. When he had the accident earlier, husband picked him up for me to change out towels and blankets and I dabbed him off as carefully as I could. He has to go back tomorrow to have his IV taken out so I will ask them what they suggest or if they will clean him off. They also put him on Royal Canine Urinary SO food. Said this would be what he needed to keep his pH in his urine balanced. Anyone on this at the current moment or been on it? He was eating Fromm Beef Fritata.

I think it was warm compress (check with the vet) that we had to place on Banks' belly when she had a surgery which helped keep the area clean and lessen some of the sting.

as for the food... look into The Honest Kitchen... call them and tell them the issue and they will help you with a diet.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Glad to hear the surgery went well! He will be mopey and sore for a few days, but soon enough you'll have try to keep him still...We had instruction from our vet to shower the wound area with warm Water once a day and that we did, 5 minutes every day. After that just dry it with a towl. We also had instructions to take him out to pee every 3 hours the first day, every 4 hours the next, then five.
Even if he doesn't pee you have to give him the opportunity. After the ansthesia clears off he might not want to pee inside, since he is house broken. He will not show you his happy face for a few days now and you just have to do what you have to do to take care of the wound and his needs even with him resisting.
The diet can be determined better after they've analysed the stones.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@BulldogMomma - How did your baby do overnight? Agree with all above, maybe puppy pads for now. The first few days he will be very mopey. It will get better with time, and the meds will def help with pain, he just needs to rest. We were also instructed to not do anything at all to the wound. So we did not clean or anything, and it healed up just perfectly.

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
We made it through the first night. He seemed to get colder than normal so I tried to keep him covered up as much as he would let me. He would snore and then shiver and then tense up. I slept on the LoveSac with him. We covered it with puppy pads and then layered towels and blankets. He did move around a lot and got on and off the LoveSac a few times. It is on the floor though so it's not a distance at all for him to move. I can tell he is still in pain and he tenses up if he moves and it hurts. He is eating fine, but is not wanting to drink much water. I keep making him eat ice cubes, which he does, but not without spitting them at me a few times. The vet says that he should start to drink more water, but if he isn't then bring him back in. I'm thinking he doesn't want to drink because it makes him pee and he's like "Hello lady this stuff makes me pee and it hurts when I pee". Vet also said if he has an accident again (which he will) to us a warm rag and gently dab the area and then gently dry the area but to try and only clean where and when necessary. Husband says if this and George doesn't help prepare us for children he doesn't know what will. Ha. So long story short, mom and dad are sleepy and achy, but George is doing much better. I am just so thankful they were caught in time.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We made it through the first night. He seemed to get colder than normal so I tried to keep him covered up as much as he would let me. He would snore and then shiver and then tense up. I slept on the LoveSac with him. We covered it with puppy pads and then layered towels and blankets. He did move around a lot and got on and off the LoveSac a few times. It is on the floor though so it's not a distance at all for him to move. I can tell he is still in pain and he tenses up if he moves and it hurts. He is eating fine, but is not wanting to drink much water. I keep making him eat ice cubes, which he does, but not without spitting them at me a few times. The vet says that he should start to drink more water, but if he isn't then bring him back in. I'm thinking he doesn't want to drink because it makes him pee and he's like "Hello lady this stuff makes me pee and it hurts when I pee". Vet also said if he has an accident again (which he will) to us a warm rag and gently dab the area and then gently dry the area but to try and only clean where and when necessary. Husband says if this and George doesn't help prepare us for children he doesn't know what will. Ha. So long story short, mom and dad are sleepy and achy, but George is doing much better. I am just so thankful they were caught in time.

first night is always the toughest.... good job on the sleeping with him. Did they give you pain pills for him?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Great news, just like 2bullymama said, first night is the hardest, and that is done! Yes, he had major surgery so he will be in pain, just like we would as humans, sore, etc. Keep on exact times with his meds to help him, do not worry at all about the eating/drinking... he will on his own when he's ready. Tyson didn't fully start drinking on his own like normal until almost a week later. We did add a little broth or coconut water to his food, to keep him hydrated & it worked well. Along with maybe small amounts of it on smaller bow. The best thing you can for him, you have... and that's be right there next to him, keeping him cozy. Everyday will get better from here on out. :) Trust me, when Tyson was sick then had surgery.. I didn't sleep for days straight. I lived off coffee, and looked like a bum on the street, covered in dog hair ;)

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] they gave us Rimadyl for pain and inflammation. He gets half of one in the morning and at night. Right now he is laying on the LoveSac on top of blankets and covered with 2 blankets but still shivery. Not sure if he is cold or in pain.. One of the blankets is down so I can't imagine he is that cold!

OP
BulldogMomma

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] I'm just thankful tomorrow is Friday and we had a 2 hour school delay this morning so I was able to get a tiny bit of sleep. Still looking a bit more like a Walking Dead zombie than a human 😂

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama they gave us Rimadyl for pain and inflammation. He gets half of one in the morning and at night. Right now he is laying on the LoveSac on top of blankets and covered with 2 blankets but still shivery. Not sure if he is cold or in pain.. One of the blankets is down so I can't imagine he is that cold!

I would check in with the vet if he is still shivering..... he may need to up the pain meds

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] they gave us Rimadyl for pain and inflammation. He gets half of one in the morning and at night. Right now he is laying on the LoveSac on top of blankets and covered with 2 blankets but still shivery. Not sure if he is cold or in pain.. One of the blankets is down so I can't imagine he is that cold!

Agree with Christine, call Vet and ask if you can give a whole one each time
or add 1/2 tablet in between am & pm, I think it's pain which will cause shivering.

And yes, add warmed broth to food and between meals (coconut water is great
& healthy food), I add 1/2 cup filtered water or broth occasionally every time as
dogs/cats do not drink enough on their own.

Keep updates coming, glad he's doing better!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How much does he weight? My Usko was on Rimadyl, but he got 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening and the vet said that for his weight 2 1/5 is max for one day. Usko weights about 65lbs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.