Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kidney Stone Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogMomma View Post
    We are going to pick him up now. Vet said he had two very large masses that had we not caught them when they did would probably have killed him. I am so thankful that he made it through okay. I have been a wreck and felt like I did something to cause this. I just hate thinking that he has no idea what is going on and that we just dropped him off and now boom he's getting cut open. She said that his scar was pretty large and that he was going to be pretty sore for the next few days. They are sending the stones off to the lab to see what the make up is. I have been a raging bitch since he got sick and just want to do absolutely everything I can for him.. I am worried because he is so young and active that I am going to have trouble making sure he stays calm and still. I have to go back to work Tomorrow and I am petrified to leave him. My husband will be home with him tomorrow and Friday during the week, but next week he is going back to Atlanta and George will be home alone most of the day... Is this a bad idea? Should I have him stay at the vet since it is so close to surgery?
    Happy to hear all went well..... crate him or gate him off in a smaller area to prevent jumping or trying to get on furniture or steps. As long as he is crated when you are not home he should be fine and sleep most of the time.
    Try to breathe and reelax.... George needs you calm so he knows not to be scared -- if you are scared or nervous he will be.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

We are going to pick him up now. Vet said he had two very large masses that had we not caught them when they did would probably have killed him. I am so thankful that he made it through okay. I have been a wreck and felt like I did something to cause this. I just hate thinking that he has no idea what is going on and that we just dropped him off and now boom he's getting cut open. She said that his scar was pretty large and that he was going to be pretty sore for the next few days. They are sending the stones off to the lab to see what the make up is. I have been a raging bitch since he got sick and just want to do absolutely everything I can for him.. I am worried because he is so young and active that I am going to have trouble making sure he stays calm and still. I have to go back to work Tomorrow and I am petrified to leave him. My husband will be home with him tomorrow and Friday during the week, but next week he is going back to Atlanta and George will be home alone most of the day... Is this a bad idea? Should I have him stay at the vet since it is so close to surgery?
    Glad to hear George pulled through like a champ! The pain meds they will have him on will keep him pretty drowsy & loopy, so do not let that alarm you. Tyson had to have abdominal surgery on Jan 5, his incision ran down more than half his stomach! I died when I saw it. The best thing to do is lay with him when you are home or keep him crated if not. We slept with Tyson on the floor for the first 2 nights post-op. The best advise I can give you is make sure you stay on his meds, and let him be. Meaning, let him relax, don't mess with him too much, because he will be grumpy from the pain. Get him a nice warm blanket, pillows, anything just to make him comfy. Once you are past the first 24/48 hr post op, he should be perfectly fine alone. Again, just crate him or enclose him in a small space, so he's not running around & risking the incision be opened.

We too felt incredibly responsible for Tyson, it was out fault for leaving socks where he could get to them. (He ate 3 socks by the way) and had to have the 3rd removed via exploratory surgery. He vomited the first 2. We know you are scared & stressed out... we have all been there, I promise. Its the most horrible feeling ever. But remember this, he can sense your nerves, so even if its hard, try your best to stay calm. Just let him get through tonight nice & relaxed, and I promise he'll be okay! We are about a month and 2 weeks post op on Tyson, and honestly it was a slow recovery for him bc he's older, but we definitely see improvement everyday, just watch he'll bounce back in no time. Prayers for quick healing, and for calmed nerves. He has a good mama to take care of him,

PS - I still watch him all throughout the day via our house cameras, so crazy mamas unite here! Haha

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad to be reading this update and that George came through his surgery and he is coming home. He will be okay and he will heal quickly. The hardest part will be keeping him quiet and not jumping. The first couple of days he will be pretty sleepy from the pain medication so he will probably sleep a lot. The best place for him is in a crate if you have one, but if not can you gate him on his pillow in a safe area where he can rest, like the kitchen or other area?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

He is miserable and mopey. We have him on a big pillow/bean bag thing on the floor in our smallest bedroom. He doesn't want to go outside to use the bathroom. Just had an accident without getting up. Any advice on how to make sure he goes out without him being too uncomfortable? I don't want his incision to get infected or anything from him using the bathroom on himself. The incision area is gnarly looking .
    Follow George on Instagram-- @georgemichaelthebulldog

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

He is miserable and mopey. We have him on a big pillow/bean bag thing on the floor in our smallest bedroom. He doesn't want to go outside to use the bathroom. Just had an accident without getting up. Any advice on how to make sure he goes out without him being too uncomfortable? I don't want his incision to get infected or anything from him using the bathroom on himself. The incision area is gnarly looking .
    maybe get some puppy pads and let him use those for a day or two... he may just be out of it -- so soon after the procedure.
    e.

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear that George's surgery went well but sorry to hear he is miserable. I agree with Christine, maybe try some puppy pads for a couple of days and change them out often. Did the vet give you anything to keep his incision area clean at all?
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

@Biogirl71 They didn't give us anything and our instructions were to not put anything on the wound. When he had the accident earlier, husband picked him up for me to change out towels and blankets and I dabbed him off as carefully as I could. He has to go back tomorrow to have his IV taken out so I will ask them what they suggest or if they will clean him off. They also put him on Royal Canine Urinary SO food. Said this would be what he needed to keep his pH in his urine balanced. Anyone on this at the current moment or been on it? He was eating Fromm Beef Fritata.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Biogirl71 They didn't give us anything and our instructions were to not put anything on the wound. When he had the accident earlier, husband picked him up for me to change out towels and blankets and I dabbed him off as carefully as I could. He has to go back tomorrow to have his IV taken out so I will ask them what they suggest or if they will clean him off. They also put him on Royal Canine Urinary SO food. Said this would be what he needed to keep his pH in his urine balanced. Anyone on this at the current moment or been on it? He was eating Fromm Beef Fritata.

I think it was warm compress (check with the vet) that we had to place on Banks' belly when she had a surgery which helped keep the area clean and lessen some of the sting.

as for the food... look into The Honest Kitchen... call them and tell them the issue and they will help you with a diet.
    e.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear the surgery went well! He will be mopey and sore for a few days, but soon enough you'll have try to keep him still...We had instruction from our vet to shower the wound area with warm Water once a day and that we did, 5 minutes every day. After that just dry it with a towl. We also had instructions to take him out to pee every 3 hours the first day, every 4 hours the next, then five.
    Even if he doesn't pee you have to give him the opportunity. After the ansthesia clears off he might not want to pee inside, since he is house broken. He will not show you his happy face for a few days now and you just have to do what you have to do to take care of the wound and his needs even with him resisting.
    The diet can be determined better after they've analysed the stones.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

@BulldogMomma - How did your baby do overnight? Agree with all above, maybe puppy pads for now. The first few days he will be very mopey. It will get better with time, and the meds will def help with pain, he just needs to rest. We were also instructed to not do anything at all to the wound. So we did not clean or anything, and it healed up just perfectly.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Real Name
    Elizabeth
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King George
    Likes (Received)

We made it through the first night. He seemed to get colder than normal so I tried to keep him covered up as much as he would let me. He would snore and then shiver and then tense up. I slept on the LoveSac with him. We covered it with puppy pads and then layered towels and blankets. He did move around a lot and got on and off the LoveSac a few times. It is on the floor though so it's not a distance at all for him to move. I can tell he is still in pain and he tenses up if he moves and it hurts. He is eating fine, but is not wanting to drink much water. I keep making him eat ice cubes, which he does, but not without spitting them at me a few times. The vet says that he should start to drink more water, but if he isn't then bring him back in. I'm thinking he doesn't want to drink because it makes him pee and he's like "Hello lady this stuff makes me pee and it hurts when I pee". Vet also said if he has an accident again (which he will) to us a warm rag and gently dab the area and then gently dry the area but to try and only clean where and when necessary. Husband says if this and George doesn't help prepare us for children he doesn't know what will. Ha. So long story short, mom and dad are sleepy and achy, but George is doing much better. I am just so thankful they were caught in time.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We made it through the first night. He seemed to get colder than normal so I tried to keep him covered up as much as he would let me. He would snore and then shiver and then tense up. I slept on the LoveSac with him. We covered it with puppy pads and then layered towels and blankets. He did move around a lot and got on and off the LoveSac a few times. It is on the floor though so it's not a distance at all for him to move. I can tell he is still in pain and he tenses up if he moves and it hurts. He is eating fine, but is not wanting to drink much water. I keep making him eat ice cubes, which he does, but not without spitting them at me a few times. The vet says that he should start to drink more water, but if he isn't then bring him back in. I'm thinking he doesn't want to drink because it makes him pee and he's like "Hello lady this stuff makes me pee and it hurts when I pee". Vet also said if he has an accident again (which he will) to us a warm rag and gently dab the area and then gently dry the area but to try and only clean where and when necessary. Husband says if this and George doesn't help prepare us for children he doesn't know what will. Ha. So long story short, mom and dad are sleepy and achy, but George is doing much better. I am just so thankful they were caught in time.
    first night is always the toughest.... good job on the sleeping with him. Did they give you pain pills for him?
    e.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads