AlphaMum

Feb 16, 2015
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
....so I've been feeling quite lucky to have a pup with such a great temperament! On the contrary, I just wanted to check in with other experienced bulldog owners to see if this is fairly normal for the EB breed. I was expecting my new puppy to be more 'troublesome' so to speak; ie: whining, lots of accidents, chewing, biting my hands, and running/jumping all about, rambunctious, etc. I did experience such a puppy when I had my crazy Olde English Bulldogge, Dozer, years ago.

When I picked up my 13 week old EB from the breeder, I was surprised that he was so calm and gentle....a bit rotund in the middle too. The breeder has a friend that helped her care for the pups and evidently she allowed them to free feed, and he loves to eat! First step I've done since we brought him home this past weekend, is to do scheduled measured feedings vs. 'eating whenever'. His half-sibling was super hyper and jumped around, often stepping on him, and he just walked around calmly like he had no care in the world about such shenanigans--as if he's a mature little fella! Lol

I am an over thinker and I read too much....so after I brought him home, I suddenly got worried: "omg...is there some underlying condition that causes him to be slower, and not run around real fast etc. Does he have a heart problem? Why does he not jump up real crazy-like, as I've seen so many puppies in my life do?" I contacted the breeder, and she reassured me that his parents were both very healthy, and he was too. She said he's just a good pup, who's always been a snuggler.

He has nothing going on that really seems like a health problem--but I still just wanted to see if anyone else has had a really calm and gentle pup that loves to just sit on your lap and lay with you, instead of play wild and nip-nip etc. He has done so well with housetraining, and only peed on the carpet once so far! I guess I'm basing my expectations on previous knowledge and previous experiences. It just feels like he should be more...:hmm:....wild?

Oh, also he's so quiet. Not really a whiner, and no barking whatsoever. He has snorted, and snored, and made lots of good sniffing noises though of course! :) He loves to lick us! I think he's rather submissive, with the exception of going up the steps to come back in the house after using the potty. haha! I've read that EB's aren't good at steps, especially when young. I'm worried about that though, because if he doesn't get climbing a few steps here soon, I'm going to strain my back when I pick him up to go in and out of the house! Also, he sleeps though the night 9:30pm to 6am.

Thanks for taking the time to read my puppy thoughts/concerns. :)

*EDIT: he was 16 weeks when I got him (4 days ago)*

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank was very calm for weeks! We don't know his history because his litter was part of a rescue so of course everyone said he was 'slow' or mentally challenged or suspected that there was something wrong with him. Even our puppy class instructor told us to ask our vet about it. Turns out it just took frank a little longer to come out of his shell! How long have you had your new pup? Maybe he's still adjusting to this big life change. I'm sure you'll see some puppy zoomies soon :)

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Bullys come in different sizes and shape and as well different temperaments. My Bella is such a hyper girl allways running around and wanting to play. My Dozer is just the opposite, slow in his movement and taking commands, just very layed back boy.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
he will come around. Be very thankful and appreciate this demeanor. Looks like he will grow to be a nice bully with minimal behavioral issues. Harvey was a very calm puppy. He like to chew on things however but that is ok. He is 8 mos. now and is very nice to all living things, people and other dogs included.

Whenever I talke him out and sees people, he will look at them always looking forward to be petted. I truly love this about him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have owned several bullies, and I will tell you that they ALL have different personalities. My Winston was extremely laid back and LOVED to snooze away, while my new one Walter is the opposite and LOVES to go crazy in the mornings. I think that your guy will change as he matures… as long as he is healthy I would NOT be concerned at all. Enjoy your laid back baby… Lol

OP
AlphaMum

AlphaMum

Feb 16, 2015
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all for relieving me! :whew:

Hi Madie4589, we've had him for 3 days. I saw a little zoomie this morning after he pooped he wanted to jump in the snow a little and eat it! (not the poop, the snow) :lol:

We love his little personality, and plan to keep enjoying every moment! It will be exciting to see how he evolves as he grows up. I really do feel lucky, because all my life I've been around crazy dogs, which is why I'm so astonished by him. He's like a little dignified man. :D I think he's definitely smart, because he's listening pretty well too. Follows us when called etc.

Taking Winston to the vet in a couple of hours. :doctor: [can you tell I think the emoticons are fun??]

Bella and Dozers Dad, harveyspecter,and ddnene, I appreciate you sharing your bulldog expertise. Have a great day!

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Get Winston a brother or sister. That will fire him up. Ralphie

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Give him time to settle in.... Lambeau was a cake walk the first week too.... now, almost two months later -- he is hell on wheels.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Give him time to settle in.... Lambeau was a cake walk the first week too.... now, almost two months later -- he is hell on wheels.

How DARE you talk about that little angel like that?!! Lol :angelheart: :lol:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How DARE you talk about that little angel like that?!! Lol :angelheart: :lol:

He is nuts at times.... so funny as Cheli runs up on the furniture to get away from him. He is like the energizer bunny right now

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is nuts at times.... so funny as Cheli runs up on the furniture to get away from him. He is like the energizer bunny right now

Obviously the nares surgery was a success… Lol Hey where is my daily video?!! Your pet sitter is slacking… Lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Obviously the nares surgery was a success… Lol Hey where is my daily video?!! Your pet sitter is slacking… Lol

:rofl: I was home with a headache on Friday and we were off yesterday so LeeAnn was off

Wait till you see today's picture :luv:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:rofl: I was home with a headache on Friday and we were off yesterday so LeeAnn was off

Wait till you see today's picture :luv:

OMG… I HAVE TO SEE IT!!! :w00t:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have owned several bullies, and I will tell you that they ALL have different personalities. My Winston was extremely laid back and LOVED to snooze away, while my new one Walter is the opposite and LOVES to go crazy in the mornings. I think that your guy will change as he matures… as long as he is healthy I would NOT be concerned at all. Enjoy your laid back baby… Lol

Agreed!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.