Tail amputation :-(

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hello everyone, I'm in need of help and some info. Has anyone had to have there bulldog tail amputated? If so how did the op go and how were they after it. My poor baby boy has to have his done next week and I'm stressing and worry so much about it. as I don't know much and I don't know anyone who has gone or going through the same to ask about it

many thank :-)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, my boy Finn had his tail amputation in January 2014. He had about 3/4 of his corkscrew tail removed b/c of recurrent tail infections. Finn had the surgery done by his regular vet and I was able to take him home the same day. He was on some heavy pain meds--a fentanyl patch, rimadyl and tramadol. I recall the first several nights post-op of sleeping on the floor w/him b/c he wasn't supposed to do any jumping or too much activity. I think he started becoming his old self again after 2 or 3 days. Luckily, he healed up pretty well and w/no complications.

Talk to your vet with your concerns and worries. Tail amputation is a fairly common surgery with EB's but i know i was a huge worry-wart about it too. Best of luck to you and Hugo. I know he will do just fine.

OP
N

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you so much for your message back. It has helped knowing someone has had the same. Hugo has a corkscrew tail and and keeps getting an infection of the tail pocket so that's why there removing to sort it all out. I'm so glad to hear you b/d has done so well it has give me lots of hope and I'm not to worry to much. Thank you :-)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you so much for your message back. It has helped knowing someone has had the same. Hugo has a corkscrew tail and and keeps getting an infection of the tail pocket so that's why there removing to sort it all out. I'm so glad to hear you b/d has done so well it has give me lots of hope and I'm not to worry to much. Thank you :-)

you're welcome! i know how worrisome this can be Nadine. Several other members on EBN have had the tail amputation done too so hopefully they will be able to give you their experiences too.

OP
N

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you that's helped so much. Feel a little bit at piece about it. I think I'm stressing so much as a had a bully puppy before Hugo and he tragically past away. So I'm very very protective over Hugo as he is my little (well big) miracle and is my child lol

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Let us know how the operation went [MENTION=13557]Nadine27[/MENTION], it's very hard to be a bulldog parent when they have to go in for surgery:( thinking of you, hoping everything goes perfect<3

OP
N

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you Petra I will let you all know how it goes. Only 2more days to wait till the big day and feel very very nervous

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I can imagine you're nervous:( but I'm positive things will go great:) Your vet is bulldog knowledgeable right? I don't want to stress you any more but it is very important that the vet knows about bulldogs and what type of anesthetics to use as there are different kinds.

I'm sure your vet told you also not to let him drink or eat anything at all before the operation? The amount of fasting hours can differ depending on what time of day the operation is... I'm just asking to be sure, rather ask one time to many right? :)

I'm sure everything will go well:hug:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you Petra I will let you all know how it goes. Only 2more days to wait till the big day and feel very very nervous

While I have no experience with the tail specifically, I do with surgery in general. Trust me when I say we have been there. Our babies are so sensitive when it comes to anesthesia, so naturally it freaks us out. Like Petra asked, is the vet performing the operation experienced with bulldogs?? Please make sure as this is very important in regards to their breathing after surgery. The fasting is also correct. Post-op the most important thing to do is just let Hugo relax & rest. Make sure you stay on top of his pain meds like clockwork & let him rest. We slept with Tyson on the floor for the first 2 nights post-op. He loved the snuggles... do not be alarmed or scared if he seems totally doped up or drowsy, this is normal from the pain meds. It will take him a minimum of at least 2 weeks to start to come around again & start eating/drinking normally again. Also, keep him as still as possible, no jumping, playing, etc.

Keep us updated pre & post op! We'll all be praying for a smooth & quick recovery for sweet Hugo!

Most Reactions