Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Here's the story: (Long post...sorry)

I wasn't too pleased with Goob's previous vet here in Tennessee. We LOVED his vet in Cali but after seeing this vet in TN a couple times, I decided to make a switch. He has no health issues, and it was just for a heartworm test and rabies shot. This vet got great reviews online and, after calling MANY vets in the area, this place said that they see bulldogs everyday. Both vets at the practice are very comfortable working with EBs. SOLD! Some of the other places I called couldn't even think of one bulldog they had seen in the last few years:/.

Well, Goob isn't the best around strangers so we have a leather muzzle for vet visits. Yes, it makes him look intimidating and like Hannibal Lecter BUT it's just a precaution. At the previous vet, the techs. were treating him like a vicious killer. Didn't want to touch him, get near him and I'm thinking..."he has a muzzle, what's the problem????" That was the main reason for the switch.

This new place was GREAT...at first...The receptionists were "oo-ing" and "aww-ing" over Goob! They were telling me how cute he was, they loved his name, he was a great shape, they loved his markings, and things like that. I WAS A PROUD MOMMY!!!

When we got his heartworm test, the techs were not phased by his muzzle. They were sweet and loving on him the whole time. GREAT!!! But then....the Dr. came in and she was a little...stand offish. Didn't say hello to us, didn't ask our names, didn't talk to us much, didn't ask ANYTHING about Goob OR his health history. Just checked him out, gave him his shot, felt like she had to tell me how common allergies and skin issues are in bulldogs. As if I didn't know it before??? Anyways, the only comment she made to me kind of rubbed me the wrong way. She said, "Wow, I've never seen a bulldog like this before!" And because of his royal welcome with the other staff members, I was thinking that she was about to compliment my baby. I asked, "What do you mean?" And she said, "I've never met a bulldog that needed a muzzle before." Hmmm...ok??? That was her only comment. Gave Goob his shot, said "everything seems good." And we left the room. I asked my husband if she seemed rude to him and he said, "No not really, she was just serious."

Is it just me??? Am I being too sensitive or expecting too much? I was pleased that bulldog "client photos" were all over the walls but... I'm not sure what to think about this vet. There is another Dr. at the practice...Give this woman another chance or maybe schedule his next appointment with the other vet at the office? I don't know. Any thoughts?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, it sounds like this vet's bedside manner did not suit you and if I were you, I'd probably try the other vet. You and Goob are the customers/patients and if you don't feel good about the vet then it's your prerogative to make a switch. I like my vet b/c she asks how the bullies are doing and then listens to what i have to tell her. I feel comfortable with her and i like how she interacts w/the boys and with me. So listen to your instincts and try out the other vet. That's my opinion :)

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Going on my 3rd vet here in columbus... I finally found a vet who owns an English and a French bully. Although frank is not full bulldog he's definitely more bully than whatever else he's mixed with and has had alllll of the typical bulldog health issues plus more. I think its very important that you're comfortable and happy with who's treating your baby! Don't stop until you find the right fit. I might try the other vet at the practice. Also... I LOVE goobs name :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Henny… I'm sorry but the vet needs to talk to YOUR baby, and make both of you feel comfortable and relaxed. First impressions are everything, and if she's already nervous around Goob he's going to sense that and make the situation even worse. I've been thru several vets for my bullies, and let me tell you… you NEED someone that you feel comfortable talking to.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I would try the other Vet at the office before switching to a new office. We switched to a new office that has about 6 different Vets there and the first one we saw I just didn't get the right vibe from her but I really liked the the rest of the office staff. So on our second visit I requested a different Vet and I really really like her. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would ask for an appointment with a vet that has a personality and is familar with Bulldogs. Our vet office is awesome, I love 98% of the staff, but there are two Drs. (out of 6) in the practice you could not pay me to take my babies too...

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
We recently had to take fatso in for an emergency visit and follow up and had to see a new associate at our regular vet office..the dr was a young female as well and I left the office feeling the same way you did..she was afraid to touch him and took him out of the exam room to restrain him to take blood and cut his nails and give a shot..that was a first for us, the regular vet has always done everything right in front of us and fats has never misbehaved there..I guess she was intimidated by him..I said to my husband maybe she should just take care of puppies and kittens and bunnies lol but I will never see her again and at our next scheduled visit I am telling our regular vet how I feel

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I agree with you all. Thanks for the support. I'm going to try the other Dr. at the office and if I don't have a good feeling about him, then it's on to the next place:).

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Try the other vet at the office for sure. I'm on my third vet office and I tried multiple vets at the first place I tried. I finally found one I like. Keep searching until you're comfortable with someone. If Goob gets sick you'll feel much better with a vet you like and trust.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I'm very picky about vets. I have to feel comfortable with them and a good personality is extremely important. I would try the other vet in the practice and see if you like him/her better. This person is in charge of your baby's health...don't feel bad about finding someone else.

Members online

No members online now.