Piggybacking off Cali Doll

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I didn't want to take over [MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION] post.

We don't get the random growling and barking. Sometimes we know Chubbs has to go potty but most of the time we'll have just come back in. He'll have gone several times of each. Does he still have more?

Most of the time it's when he's either on the tether or in his crate for a nap/bedtime. When I'm home alone, I don't want Chubbs loose. I'm still iffy with him loose but don't want him in his crate all day. The only option is the tether. So it's either that or his crate and I'd feel like an abusive owner if we did that. What stinks is that because we don't have a time out area (he's claimed the bathroom) we put him in his crate. [emoji53] So now, unless he's exhausted... he doesn't like going in there which we completely understand. But what else are we to do? [emoji26]

Unfortunately, no we don't have a play area for him in our place. Only a gated off kitchen and living room he's allowed to roam (supervised by hubby) when I'm at work.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi,
So, you want to keep him tethered, so it's easier to tell when it's potty time?

If you take him out and he doesn't go potty, you can keep him tethered to you (or keep him somewhere where you can have an eye on him) and take him out again in an hour or so. Maybe that'll work.

Bella has learned that when she goes to the door, I take her out. Sometimes she'll go back to the door right after we come back in...because she wants to play outside. I don't want to discourage her from going to the door (because it's a good thing!) but man that's annoying.

To to be honest, I probably take out Bella too frequently. I get nervous after a few hours and I want to avoid accidents, so I don't think we go longer than 3 or maybe 4 hours when I'm home with her. She should be able to hold it for 5 hours at this point (4.5 months old).

So, does Chubbs hold it when you're gone all day? At first, I was leaving Bella in her crate when I went to work AND during the night. Like you, I felt awful. So, I started letting her sleep in the bed with me and I started taking her to daycare while I work.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just keep working on it, the steps you are taking are great training practices. Eventually it will all come together it just takes time and plenty of patience. Crate training is the best tool you can use to get your pup fully potty trained as well as plenty of praise when he does go outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He may just be vocal... Banks was vocal... she would grumble or bark just for the sake of hearing her own voice. We never were able to break her of that one :facepalm:

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
No, keeping him tethered is so that he's out of the crate yet I feel safe when I'm alone. Right now, I don't want him attached to me. Down the road? Of course! Just not yet.

Maybe that's why he goes back to the door. He just wants to play and/or run around outside. Hmmm. Yes, very annoying... especially living on the 3rd floor.

Same here, usually about 3 or 4 hours between potty breaks... and at 7 months he should be able to hold it for 7 hours. Right? At least that's what I gather. He's been pretty good about holding it. Although today he's had 2 accidents. Maybe too many ice cubes.

I work late afternoon-evening, PT, so I'm home with him ALOT. To be honest, I think he's sick of me. It's really bedtime I worry about. The last time we take him out is anywhere from 11pm-2am. It's my schedule that dictates the last potty break. Hubby wakes much earlier than me so he USUALLY takes Chubbs out. I don't find out if he's been out or not until 9ish, sometimes later (until hubby can reply to a text.) I got a whiteboard for this exact purpose but does hubby use it? Of course not! *rolling eyes*

Hi,
So, you want to keep him tethered, so it's easier to tell when it's potty time?

If you take him out and he doesn't go potty, you can keep him tethered to you (or keep him somewhere where you can have an eye on him) and take him out again in an hour or so. Maybe that'll work.

Bella has learned that when she goes to the door, I take her out. Sometimes she'll go back to the door right after we come back in...because she wants to play outside. I don't want to discourage her from going to the door (because it's a good thing!) but man that's annoying.

To to be honest, I probably take out Bella too frequently. I get nervous after a few hours and I want to avoid accidents, so I don't think we go longer than 3 or maybe 4 hours when I'm home with her. She should be able to hold it for 5 hours at this point (4.5 months old).

So, does Chubbs hold it when you're gone all day? At first, I was leaving Bella in her crate when I went to work AND during the night. Like you, I felt awful. So, I started letting her sleep in the bed with me and I started taking her to daycare while I work.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Just keep working on it, the steps you are taking are great training practices. Eventually it will all come together it just takes time and plenty of patience. Crate training is the best tool you can use to get your pup fully potty trained as well as plenty of praise when he does go outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, thanks! [emoji4]

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
He may just be vocal... Banks was vocal... she would grumble or bark just for the sake of hearing her own voice. We never were able to break her of that one :facepalm:
I hope he's not vocal! Thankfully, we usually have to wait about 15 minutes. After that he usually tires himself to sleep. Then has the cutest sounding dreams. Haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hope he's not vocal! Thankfully, we usually have to wait about 15 minutes. After that he usually tires himself to sleep. Then has the cutest sounding dreams. Haha

Banks grew out of it, but I can't remember how old she was

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.