we have a theory

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Our theory: hubby being home or around in general makes it worse. Things seem to be getting better very slowly but as soon as Chubbs hears the car locking outside, he does a 180°. I'm not allowed to be near hubby, yea like that's gonna happen. After getting the tether, we believe Chubbs has figured out that he doesn't go anywhere or get anything unless we allow it. Also that I will NEVER submit to him. It's stubborn bully against stubborn bully. Hubby calls it a stalemate.

Chubbs is jealous of both me and the cats. They get to roam as they please. Yet, he seems submissive to them. Yesterday while I was at work, hubby went to his parents and brought Chubbs with. My in-laws have Henry (10) and Rusty (6), both Goldens. Rusty is your stereotypical Golden. He's one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. The only time his behavior slightly changes is when Chubbs is present. He started showing teeth, giving a little growl and walking away (btw, so cool seeing the dog way of that). But yesterday, when I got home hubby said Chubbs had been very naughty. He just wouldn't leave Rusty alone. Chubbs followed Rusty everywhere and eventually he had enough. Rusty basically said f*** off so loudly that a millisecond later, Chubbs was laying down. Hubby left immediately after that. I'm not sure how safe I feel bringing Chubbs back over. It makes us all very sad.

The first picture was taken earlier today. Shortly before I took this, Chubbs kept walking around. The cats did their hissy thing so he finally submitted.
Second picture: he jumped onto the couch without permission. But it was such a funny, typical pose that I had to take the picture.

20150215_104437.jpg20150215_100451.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww his face in the picture sitting on the couch looks so pathetic. Poor Chubbs, he's just misunderstood.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sound to me like Chubbs was bugging the heck out of Rusty, and Rusty had enough, and put Chubbs in his place. That may be who can teach Chubbs that HE is not so alpha. It was good that Chubbs lay down, and didn't try to fight. maybe Rusty can be his trainer!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It sound to me like Chubbs was bugging the heck out of Rusty, and Rusty had enough, and put Chubbs in his place. That may be who can teach Chubbs that HE is not so alpha. It was good that Chubbs lay down, and didn't try to fight. maybe Rusty can be his trainer!

^^agreed! Rusty had enough and Rusty was letting Chubbs know he was out of line -- it was good. You do have to watch the dog correction, sometimes the corrected dog is not happy and I fight could break out -- but if Chubbs submitted that quickly, Rusty is a good way for him to learn.

Glad to hear there is some progress -- stay on him, you will get there!

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Aww his face in the picture sitting on the couch looks so pathetic. Poor Chubbs, he's just misunderstood.
Yup, he definitely is misunderstood. We sure don't get him. I have marks all over me and an er bill to prove it. [emoji53]

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Rusty teach Chubbs? Hmmm, I like it but how is that done? I don't want either getting hurt. The only thing we can't have Rusty teaching is about thunder. Omg, he is so scared of it.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
^^agreed! Rusty had enough and Rusty was letting Chubbs know he was out of line -- it was good. You do have to watch the dog correction, sometimes the corrected dog is not happy and I fight could break out -- but if Chubbs submitted that quickly, Rusty is a good way for him to learn.

Glad to hear there is some progress -- stay on him, you will get there!
Thanks! Now if only he'd stay nice when hubby's home. [emoji53]

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
i love the first picture with the cats sitting on standy by haha

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
i love the first picture with the cats sitting on standy by haha
Haha, yes well a few seconds prior he was trying to play with them but he was getting in their face too much. Seems to be his thing, always in someone's face. The cats are good though, he's never gotten hurt. BUT whenever they hear Chubbs growling and barking at me, Binx (black) comes running.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Rusty and Chubbs is a good thing. This doesn't have to be avoided. But, this should also supervised... because, just like Rusty finally decided to enforce his space, Chubbs could also decide to challenge that space. Don't be afraid that they'll get hurt. A Golden is not the super dominant type and from what you say about Rusty he seems the typical Golden. So, there's a big chance he'll give up his space before he'll go to the throat for it... but, before this escalates to going to the throat, someone should already be correcting Chubbs.

Regarding the biting... I just had an altercation with a dog last Thursday. His skin-mother is pregnant and was having pains so I went over to help her. The dog was being over-protective (sensing his mom's pain) and so he lunged at me and got my forearm between his teeth. The normal gut reaction would have been - I pull my arm out of the way... which would cause lacerations. But, after so many times this has happened to me, I've learned to keep my arm in his mouth and push it forward so he can't clamp on it while remaining calm. I came out with scratches but none broke the skin. I was able to pet the dog under his chin with my arm in his mouth while talking to him and my friend in a calm voice and my friend was able to stay calm as well (he's her first dog) until the dog calmed down and went back to my friend's side and allowed me to sit next to them.

And then... the very next day... my neighbor's yippity dog found a way into my fence! So... I have 2 English Bulldogs versus one terrier... and the terrier was trying to "hump" my dog to dominate... Not happening with Bullie being the queen of the yard as it is... and, if I wouldn't have ran outside to scoop out the terrier (who tried to bite me too) he would have been dog food. So, I did my "nuh uh!" command to my 2 dogs (which barely got them to stop, they were so agitated), and without thinking (I was running on pure instinct here) grabbed the terrier by the back of his neck - taking both collar and skin so he can't turn his head... he is about 20 lbs... and so he tried to shake away from my grip so I wrapped my other arm around his hip and pressed him to my belly. My dogs started to jump on me - I kept my "nuh, uh" until they realized, hey, I'm in control here... and so they finally stopped. I put the terrier in the kennel to calm him down until I can get a peek at his tag. So then I called his skin-dad and he said he can't pick him up until 5 in the afternoon! This was at 7AM... it was just too long to keep him in the kennel, so I took the terrier out of the kennel and worked on introducing him to my 3 dogs... and by 9AM, they were best buds with Bullie reigning over them and the terrier quit humping Bullie and when he tries to hump Angus and Gizmo Bullie snapped at him... I let them be because I can tell the terrier is heeding Bullie's corrections... and so around 5:30 the neighbor showed up to pick up the dogs and all 4 of them were sleeping together... cramped into Bullie's kennel (has no door).

Success.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Wow, that's crazy... but in a good way. Hopefully I'll be able to become that calm one day.

I'll have to see what my in-laws think about Rusty teaching Chubbs. My MIL is nervous to be around him now, after what he's done to me and Rusty. It'll be difficult to change her mind. :(

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Wow, that's crazy... but in a good way. Hopefully I'll be able to become that calm one day.

I'll have to see what my in-laws think about Rusty teaching Chubbs. My MIL is nervous to be around him now, after what he's done to me and Rusty. It'll be difficult to change her mind. :(

I hope things work out, but I'm not sure Chunbs was trying to be super alpha with Rusty from what I read, although I wasn't there so I can't know for sure, but Chubbs is still a puppy. Even now my Ruckus can be too much for some chill dogs. He just wants to play play play and it isn't an aggressive move he just doesn't understand why the other dog also doesn't want to at play play.

How much exercise does Chubbs get daily? A tired bulldog is a happy bulldog. Some need more stimulation and play than others. They're known to be a chill, lazy breed, but not always.

Chubbs is quite the cutie. He's sitting on your couch like, uh dis my spot yes?

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Thanks. Chubbs is definitely a puppy who likes to play! I will admit, he could get more exercise however with the negative temperatures and wild wind we're having... it's too dangerous for us to be outside for very long. Unless my downstairs neighbors aren't home or even myself, Chubbs can't run after balls, etc.

Yup, he definitely is a cutie and seems to like that spot but I don't want him on the couch just yet. I want him to learn that he needs to be welcomed onto the couch. Hope that makes sense.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.