Possible elongated soft palate??

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
My Bentley is almost 6 months (Feb 25th) and 2 times this week (one being last night) he has woken up in the middle of the night and I hear him trying to vomit. After he has finally vomited it's just white foam. Last night had me a little more concerned. He keep trying to vomit and then feel over (like he passed out) then I just stuck my finger in his mouth to clear the vomit. The other odd thing is I tried to stand him up and he wouldn't stand up then I noticed he peed all over himself and he finally stood up. After that he did sleep a few more hours and he woke up ate normally and his very sleepy.
Does this sound like a elongated soft palate? I have read about them, but this is the only symptom that he seems to have. Thoughts??

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I had suspicions that frank had an elongated soft palate so I had them check when he was under for his neuter but he was fine.

Regardless, I would definitely get your pup into the vet very soon. Sorry he's feeling under the weather :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This does sound concerning… like he has sleep apnea. We have heard of the white foam vomiting, which many members will give their pups a small snack at bedtime. It's almost like it's too much stomach acid, but if he's passing out that is serious… I will tag some members w/more insight on elongated palate.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This does sound concerning… like he has sleep apnea. We have heard of the white foam vomiting, which many members will give their pups a small snack at bedtime. It's almost like it's too much stomach acid, but if he's passing out that is serious… I will tag some members w/more insight on elongated palate.

Great advice. It could be an elongated palette, empty stomach, or maybe even getting sick. :( Try the snack before bed and see if that helps?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
At times throwing white foam can be normal for bulldogs-it can be anything from too much drinking , to small stomach upset -if its happen now again there is no need for concern
If its happens more often i would get him check at the vets just to be on a safe side

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This sounds like it could be a palate issue but if he pee'd and was having difficulty standing up after vomiting -- you should get him to a vet to check everything out.

Please let us know how he is and if it does happen again

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Vomiting foam is not a big thing if it happens only occasionally. The fact that he had peed and passed out is a concern and I would take him to a vet.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Almost like a cross between a seizure and palate issues. Keep a camera handy just in case it happens again

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has had soft palate surgery and I recognize the white foamy vomiting but he didn't have any problems during sleep. His vomiting and excessive panting would occur when we were out playing or in connection with long walks. I would take Bentley to the vet for a check up!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.