Pee/poo ruining lawn

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
My guys been peeing/pooing outside like a good bully pup should be. Picking up poop isn't too bad when it's mounted on top of some snow, but when weather is nicer the poop sticks to the grass causing a mess and ultimately will ruin our lawn. As its closing into spring/summer, what are some of your suggestions to mitigate a wrecked lawn while having your EB still pee/poo outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've had dogs for 30 years, usually 2 boxers and one bully at a time and my yard has never been ruined by pee and poop. Occasionally we've had a brown spot or two and lost a little grass in those heavy traffic areas (from the traffic). I would suggest just watering the most frequently peed upon areas if they get brown so as to dilute the pee:).

I've also found that if you wait a day or two to pick up the poop, the sun will dry it out and it picks up much cleaner.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Donna has given you some great advice already. You can't totally keep your lawn from turning brown from the pee, but you can minimize it by what Donna suggested dilute it with water after he pees. Also adding apple cider vinegar to either Norman's drinking water or his kibble each day will reduce or eliminate the browning of the lawn. Does he have to pee in the backyard? Or can you take him off your property, maybe up the street or across the street to do his duties? I've never had a problem with the poop sticking to the grass, unless it's been mushy from a food allergy or food change, or one of them not feeling well. Their poop is usually soft but firm and is very easy to pick up with a poop bag, the poop is well formed and picks up in one piece.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I've had dogs for 30 years, usually 2 boxers and one bully at a time and my yard has never been ruined by pee and poop. Occasionally we've had a brown spot or two and lost a little grass in those heavy traffic areas (from the traffic). I would suggest just watering the most frequently peed upon areas if they get brown so as to dilute the pee:).

I've also found that if you wait a day or two to pick up the poop, the sun will dry it out and it picks up much cleaner.
Sorry to piggyback but I'm glad this was asked. We live in a condo, more like a brick apartment building with 12 units. There are more buildings on each side. Along with a small patch of grass but we don't want to ruin it. There's a small area of woods at the back of the parking lot, but Chubbs isn't allowed off leash yet. In the association laws, it says we must clean up after our dogs (even though some don't.) Do you have any suggestions for the spring/summer? Thx.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel pees in the exact same spot--right at the bottom of our deck. The grass is non-existent there. We're considering some sort of drainage system and pea gravel. She doesn't like grass, so we're kind of lucky she doesn't use the rest of the yard.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Sorry to piggyback but I'm glad this was asked. We live in a condo, more like a brick apartment building with 12 units. There are more buildings on each side. Along with a small patch of grass but we don't want to ruin it. There's a small area of woods at the back of the parking lot, but Chubbs isn't allowed off leash yet. In the association laws, it says we must clean up after our dogs (even though some don't.) Do you have any suggestions for the spring/summer? Thx.

Well, if the association says you have to pick up the poop, I guess you can't wait a day till it dries out. And it's impossible to clean up pee. I don't know of any other way besides rinsing with a hose after cleaning up. Maybe someone else will have some ideas. Or check with a nursery--there could be a product that would help.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh, sorry Monica. I didn't see your post. I never thought of the vinegar, but that would help. I've never added vinegar to my guys' water. Good idea!

OP
slowly

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Thanks for your suggestions. The vinegar idea is interesting! Norman's poop is generally solid but once in awhile gets mushy which makes it harder to pick up. We have a relatively large lawn and norman loves to take his time & wander before/after he pees/poops. [emoji19]

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
My guys been peeing/pooing outside like a good bully pup should be. Picking up poop isn't too bad when it's mounted on top of some snow, but when weather is nicer the poop sticks to the grass causing a mess and ultimately will ruin our lawn. As its closing into spring/summer, what are some of your suggestions to mitigate a wrecked lawn while having your EB still pee/poo outside.

I went to to pick up dog food this morning at the pet store. I happened to notice that there were several products that guarantee to stop you lawn from yellowing because of dog pee. It looks they are supplements--there were treats and pills. Thought of you. Check it out next time you're at the pet store.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.