Size of your Male English Bulldog

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is about 20 months old and weighs only 52lbs. Not sure about his measurements. Vet says he is healthy and to keep him on the muscular side which he is. He's still full of energy and loves running

7501c15381e9c197d88d1d0906053e6e.jpg

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
They are all so beautiful! I am a little jealous that everyone has such large pups at 8 months it seems most are 60lbs and up, but Boris is barely over 40... My Gf loves how tiny he is, but i was hoping for a big tub of meat! I still love him to death though :)

osiris20025

Feb 9, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
They are all so beautiful! I am a little jealous that everyone has such large pups at 8 months it seems most are 60lbs and up, but Boris is barely over 40... My Gf loves how tiny he is, but i was hoping for a big tub of meat! I still love him to death though :)

Yes they all look awesome! I have also notice some dogs are massive while others are way smaller same age. Is it because of how they were bred or the food or other things ?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Yes, larger pups are adorable, but there's nothing wrong with a smaller bullie. A thinner bulldog has less of a chance of developing the usual bulldog issues like hips dysplasia and patella injuries. Most vets prefer them on the thin side. I'm actually jealous of the smaller bullies because I absolutely believe that their size contributes to their health issues, including breathing.
So as long as your pup is healthy, I wouldn't worry.

Yes they all look awesome! I have also notice some dogs are massive while others are way smaller same age. Is it because of how they were bred or the food or other things ?

Both contribute to the size. Genetics obviously, but over-feeding plays the biggest role I think.

Generally when I see a large bulldog, they're overweight. You can see it's not muscle, it's just pure fat. But I've also seen some big boys that were pure muscle, just not as many.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo weighs 68lbs. Vet says he is too heavy, so Elmo is on a diet, hopefully to loose down to 62lbs.100_0614.jpg

OP
Henry2014

Henry2014

Feb 3, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Yes, larger pups are adorable, but there's nothing wrong with a smaller bullie. A thinner bulldog has less of a chance of developing the usual bulldog issues like hips dysplasia and patella injuries. Most vets prefer them on the thin side. I'm actually jealous of the smaller bullies because I absolutely believe that their size contributes to their health issues, including breathing.
So as long as your pup is healthy, I wouldn't worry.

Both contribute to the size. Genetics obviously, but over-feeding plays the biggest role I think.

Generally when I see a large bulldog, they're overweight. You can see it's not muscle, it's just pure fat. But I've also seen some big boys that were pure muscle, just not as many.

I agree nycbullymama, Genetics plays a big roll and so does diet. Sometimes owners forget (or don't know) that bullies have a slow metabolism and over feed without knowing it. Our 2 bullies were fed identical portion sizes until about 16weeks, but then Daphne stared to but on weight to quickly so her food was reduced by 25%, now she is doing great and is 5kg ish lighter than Henry, you can see the size difference of them both in this image. (they are brother & sister from the same litter)

IMG_8045.jpg

This is an image of our bullies Dad, a show winner and last years Cruft Champion.

captian kingrock.jpg

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Here's a pic of Tucker, we walk him 2-3 times a day, I must be honest, hubby gives him lots of treats, so because of that I don't !
7cb0715da6a6081ece63f1227dca8754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Henry2014

Henry2014

Feb 3, 2015
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Here's a pic of Tucker, we walk him 2-3 times a day, I must be honest, hubby gives him lots of treats, so because of that I don't !
7cb0715da6a6081ece63f1227dca8754.jpg

He looks great, looks like him and Henry could be brothers :D

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hello everyone,

I'm interested to know the age and size of your MALE English Bulldog. Why? Well…..

I think our Henry (8 months old) is turning in to a VERY big English bulldog. He is currently 30kg/66lbs, 17 1/2 inches to the "dip" in his back and 19inches to the top of his rear legs. He has come across various aged male bulldogs and he has been taller and heavy (apart from his head, which was not always bigger than some. I think he is turning in to great male for the breed and we will look to bread from him in the future.

I will let the images do the talking and would like to hear your thoughts, do we have any judges on here?

View attachment 83768

View attachment 83769

View attachment 83770

Goob's build is very similar to Henry's. Goob is almost 4 years old and he is between 65 and 70 pounds. He has slimmed down somewhat from these photos( -8 lbs. or so). He is very active, can run a mile if we let him, and his nostrils are also very wide open which means no breathing issues for us...YAY! I don't know much about the breed standards other than what I've seen on the internet. I know that Goob's head isn't show quality and I don't believe he is thick enough/short enough. Also...his snout protrudes a little more than the show dogs I've seen. AND> He doesn't have the temperment to show OR to breed...he can be a butt cheek sometimes around strangers. BUT he is my handsome guy!!!!
20131229_135823.jpg20140603_182216.jpgIMAG0624-1.jpg

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
[MENTION=13637]Henry2014[/MENTION] Yes I thought the same, even from the tail end!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty weighed 72 lbs when we got him. His vet says he likes them "lean and mean" and needed to lose about 5 lbs. We got him down to 66 lbs. Unfortunately with a change of food he went back up to 72. I am looking at other foods and as soon as he is all healed from his surgeries we will try again. I have to admit, apart from the cat, he fits right in with the rest of the family re weight!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Monty weighed 72 lbs when we got him. His vet says he likes them "lean and mean" and needed to lose about 5 lbs. We got him down to 66 lbs. Unfortunately with a change of food he went back up to 72. I am looking at other foods and as soon as he is all healed from his surgeries we will try again. I have to admit, apart from the cat, he fits right in with the rest of the family re weight!!

Haha. Monty - this post made me chuckle. Tyson needs to lose a few too, along with his parents.... join the club! We're fellow Houstonians!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Haha. Monty - this post made me chuckle. Tyson needs to lose a few too, along with his parents.... join the club! We're fellow Houstonians!

Do you take Tyson to Brittmore Animal Hospital?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I will be there on Monday when we have his stitches out. I love going there. You never know what breed you will see but it is always guaranteed to see at least a couple of bullies!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.