binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Whenever your baby(ies) go under either for some kind of surgery or c-section, do you know approximately how much anesthesia they're given? If you do it, what do you base the amount on?

We finally heard from the breeder. Her thought was my second, as to why Chubbs has become different. When we got his cherry eyes fixed, he was just over 4 months. The thought is that he reacted badly to the anesthesia, had too much. :unsure:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never heard of that, but interesting ---- I will have to ask our vet about it next week when we go in for Lambeau's follow up

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I never heard of that, but interesting ---- I will have to ask our vet about it next week when we go in for Lambeau's follow up

Yea, the breeder said bullies should get half of what is suggested for their weight.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
The anesthesia is a gas called isofluorane, the dosage depends on how long they are under. To get an animal to sleep it requires a higher dosage (5%gas), while maintenance while procedures are going on are less (1-3%). As soon as the procedure is done, the gas is turned off, and the animal will wake up almost instantly. I suppose problems may arise if the dog is intubated vs nose cone, if the % remains high for too long, and it can cause nausea as well. Anxiety never helps either.

sent from my droid mini

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
as bulldogs grow up, their personalities change. Just because the rest of the litter doesn't have aggression issues, doesn't mean one wont.

I stay in touch with 3 owners who have puppies from Blues litter and none of them have his
problems- health or toy aggression.

I just don't buy the anesthesia excuse
Sounds like the breeder is reaching.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
as bulldogs grow up, their personalities change. Just because the rest of the litter doesn't have aggression issues, doesn't mean one wont.

I stay in touch with 3 owners who have puppies from Blues litter and none of them have his
problems- health or toy aggression.

I just don't buy the anesthesia excuse
Sounds like the breeder is reaching.

She could be, especially since the change happened about 1 month after the surgery. IDK. There's a veterinary behaviorist about an hour away. We've contacted them.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
The anesthesia is a gas called isofluorane, the dosage depends on how long they are under. To get an animal to sleep it requires a higher dosage (5%gas), while maintenance while procedures are going on are less (1-3%). As soon as the procedure is done, the gas is turned off, and the animal will wake up almost instantly. I suppose problems may arise if the dog is intubated vs nose cone, if the % remains high for too long, and it can cause nausea as well. Anxiety never helps either.

sent from my droid mini

Yea, I looked at the invoice to see what the anesthesia was, sevoflurane. Along with a metacam injection and cerenia injection.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, and I haven't heard of this, but I'll be following your posts on this as it will be Interesting to know what you find out and what the behaviourist says.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, and I haven't heard of this, but I'll be following your posts on this as it will be I the resting to know what you find out and what the behaviourist says.
Thanks chica. [emoji3]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.