Ruckus the bull-dog chased away a foster!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So, I volunteer with the local dog rescue that pulls from high kill shelters in the South. I don't have a permanent foster, but they needed coverage for a little mixed dog somewhere between 2-4 years old for a few weeks until his adoption was finalized.

Well, Ruckus has never met a dog he didn't like and is fine with dogs in our house and being at other homes with dogs, so why not? Help a dog in need. Sure.

I picked him up last night and had my boyfriend bring Ruckus outside to meet him. They got along and both seemed excited. Well when we got inside Ruckus would not leave this little guy alone to acclimate. He was obsessively sniffing him and wouldn't calm down for a minute. The dog peed and pooed everywhere because he was scared of Ruckus.

When the foster finally relaxed a little and wanted to play then Ruckus just wanted to hump him! In Ruckus's defense, the little dog wanted to hump Ruckus too, but Ruckus got so worked up I had to pass the dog off to another foster family.

I've never seen Ruckus that hyped. I'm confused. Ruckus was never at any point mean to the other dog, just overwhelming, but I'm still surprised.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i will tag some members with rescue/foster experience that may be able to provide insight.

i am thinking you may have needed to keep them separated where they could see each other but not get to each other, till they were more comfortable

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does take awhile for some to get used to another dog in the house. You may just need to keep them separated at times, when they get too excited. Plus the other pup may have all kinds of smells on him from the kennel he was in. I don't know if he had a bath right before he can to your house, but next time give them a bath as soon as they get to your house and see it that helps.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We always keep the dogs separate for a day or so with contact through a baby gate. Then graduate to supervised potty trips together and then being together all the time.

Good luck with the next one! :)

Most Reactions