Brutus is regressing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry, I always forget which was with you as the puppy...... anyway, Banks was like this with Nitschke (not Cheli) one day they were best buds and playing, chasing, sleeping together. Next day she would want to take his head off -- with her it was all about mood and dominance until we found out about her back issues then she settled in for a few years. My point, is it could be as you said, he is in pain of some type

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think so because these last two days I gave him low dose aspirin and he is fine. They are best buddies again. I am going to have the vet make the antibiotic wax mold for his ears and that will take care of the infection 100%.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So the vet came and checked Brutus over. He does have an ear infection and a slight fever. He is on antibiotic oral and drops for the ear. He did display signs of pain when the vet checked his belly around the liver area. So he also did blood work which he said will hopefully tell why he had belly pain. This should explain why he is crouchy. I have to keep track of his little outbursts and if after his medical issues clear up, it continues, he will try puppy prozac! I am sure it will go away when he is feeling better. He hasn't ever acted like this before so I am sure it is due to his pain. I just hope his belly/liver is ok. I will have blood results in 24-48 hrs.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Glad you figured it out, good call on the ear.

Puppy Prozac..lol. We have a script for Blue too but haven't got it filled yet. I'm procrastinating..

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know Brutus is high strung but he usually does great. He is friendly to other dogs and such but he could probably benefit from it just to calm him down a bit. Why does Blue have it?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He's scared of the city. Sensory overload. We go for walks three times a day so he can go potty, and it's very difficult on him. He never got used to it.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He's scared of the city. Sensory overload. We go for walks three times a day so he can go potty, and it's very difficult on him. He never got used to it.
Brutus is very similar. He is good with things in small doses. He can do short play dates, but we never bring him to the rescue events we do because we know it would be overwhelming to him. this summer we plan on taking Frankie on our overnight boat trips but Brutus would hate it. I feel bad leaving him home, but it really isn't fun for him. Maybe the prozac would help with this

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So the vet came and checked Brutus over. He does have an ear infection and a slight fever. He is on antibiotic oral and drops for the ear. He did display signs of pain when the vet checked his belly around the liver area. So he also did blood work which he said will hopefully tell why he had belly pain. This should explain why he is crouchy. I have to keep track of his little outbursts and if after his medical issues clear up, it continues, he will try puppy prozac! I am sure it will go away when he is feeling better. He hasn't ever acted like this before so I am sure it is due to his pain. I just hope his belly/liver is ok. I will have blood results in 24-48 hrs.

So hope he is healed up fast :pray:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Feel better soon Brutus!:mansfriend:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Brutus is very similar. He is good with things in small doses. He can do short play dates, but we never bring him to the rescue events we do because we know it would be overwhelming to him. this summer we plan on taking Frankie on our overnight boat trips but Brutus would hate it. I feel bad leaving him home, but it really isn't fun for him. Maybe the prozac would help with this

If you try it, let me know. I still can't decide what to do..

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So good news, the vet just emailed Brutus' blood work. Everything was within normal range for organ function. We are going to treat his ear infection and keep track of his behavior and hope it stops when his ears feel better. If not, I will consider the next step of medication.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
When we were having that problem with one of our bullmastiffs, our trainer/handler told us that she was no longer to be allowed up on the furniture with us. She said that when we did that, we sent her the message that she was the same level as us in the household. Keeping her on the floor when we were sitting on the sofa was hard (though we were happy to have the extra room :)) but it worked very well. It helped establish us in her mind as "top dog."

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] I have not been letting him sit on my lap and it is helping alot. He is also feeling some relief from the antibiotic and drops for his ears. When he tries to cuddle I get up and sit some where else. He is getting the hint and his behavior has been better. Hopefully the better he feels, the better he will act.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.