brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus has always been food aggressive so we deal with that and never let him think he is in control. Lately, I have noticed if he is on my lap, he will go after one of the other dogs if they come and sit near me. He seems to be guarding somethings that he wants to take possession of. Well of course I can't have this so last night I took all the toys and put them away. He guards some toys, not all, but I think I should just remove them all for right now. No toys back until he realizes that everyone plays or no one plays and I control when he plays. Also, when he tried to cuddle with me on the couch, I got up and moved away from him to let him know I controlled when he was allowed to sit with me. After moving about 4 times, he got the message and stopped following me. I am going to pay attention to anything else he seems to be guarding and try to make him understand I am top dog not him. Any other suggestions as to what I should be doing to get my nice baby back? I also feel bad that Frankie will not have any toys during this time, but I don't think I can teach Brutus a lesson without taking them away for a while.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
oh brutus!!! i still love you even though your being stubborn!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh dear… you know that [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can help you out on this one. I don't understand why they seem to regress, I swear just when you think things are going smoothly :( Sorry hun...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Brutus has always been food aggressive so we deal with that and never let him think he is in control. Lately, I have noticed if he is on my lap, he will go after one of the other dogs if they come and sit near me. He seems to be guarding somethings that he wants to take possession of. Well of course I can't have this so last night I took all the toys and put them away. He guards some toys, not all, but I think I should just remove them all for right now. No toys back until he realizes that everyone plays or no one plays and I control when he plays. Also, when he tried to cuddle with me on the couch, I got up and moved away from him to let him know I controlled when he was allowed to sit with me. After moving about 4 times, he got the message and stopped following me. I am going to pay attention to anything else he seems to be guarding and try to make him understand I am top dog not him. Any other suggestions as to what I should be doing to get my nice baby back? I also feel bad that Frankie will not have any toys during this time, but I don't think I can teach Brutus a lesson without taking them away for a while.

This will happen form time to time.... he is testing/pushing the envelope to see what he can go back to getting away with. keep doing what you are doing. If you want Frankie to have some play/toy time, place them both in their crates... Frankie gets a toy... your call if Brutus does or not, but whenever they are out together no toys/bones. As for the furniture and your lap, you may want (if not already) to not allow furniture/lap time without invitation. Make it that they can not be up unless you tell them it is OK.

We had to do this with Banks ALL the time as she would try to take ownership of the bed. So she never got in bed before any of us, she was last and had to sit, wait till called and then jump in.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK Thanks guys. I think I will do the invitation thing tonight when Frankie is safely snuggled into his chair. Then Brutus does not mind. It is only when he tries to approach me. I will let him on the couch but not on my lap yet. I think it will work because he is very smart and he does listen, he is just stubborn. I think I may spoil him a tad too much also :ashamed:

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a question [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], did Banks get growly at all? Brutus will actually growl and get a little nasty.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just a question @2BullyMama, did Banks get growly at all? Brutus will actually growl and get a little nasty.

Tyson growls & gets nasty when he's claiming me... against his own daddy. LOL Once my husband started tickling me on the bed, I started screaming (laughing of course, stop stop) -- Tyson full force started to attack him! It was insane... it happened within seconds, and I jumped up yelled, TYSONNN, STOP. He immediately stopped, then actually went to lick him where he had "tried" to bite him. He was red (teeth marks) but never broke skin. Its never happened again, bc we know now he reacts, but if he's hugging me or touching me from time to time, Tyson just curls up the lip & growls.... LOL Honestly... I know its not a good thing per say, but the fact that I know he will protect me at the drop of a dime gives me alot of security. Esp since I'm the one who mostly cares for him, and takes him out to places.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just a question @2BullyMama, did Banks get growly at all? Brutus will actually growl and get a little nasty.

HELL Yes... she was a very vocal beeoch! She would growl and grumble the whole time we were correcting her. So she would be ban from the space and ignored till we noticed she laid down or dropped her attitude. Then we would place her in a sit or down stay, before releasig her and inviting her back to the spot. Keep in mind, dogs have no concept of time, so length is not the point.... it is body language you need to watch

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well so much for that! Brutus just full on attacked Frankie for no good reason . I am so upset. I called the vet and have an appt to have him fully checked out but what do i do with him in the mean time?? I have him in his crate right now. That was the scariest thing I have ever seen.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well so much for that! Brutus just full on attacked Frankie for no good reason . I am so upset. I called the vet and have an appt to have him fully checked out but what do i do with him in the mean time?? I have him in his crate right now. That was the scariest thing I have ever seen.

How long has he been with you? Have you or anyone in the house gotten lazy with commands or boundaries

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have your hands full, but keep on him and keep letting him know you are the boss, and hopefully he will settle down a bit.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Brutus is ours from 8wks old. He has ths same rules as always. im afraid to let him out of his crate.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think he might have an ear infection because he is scratching his ear and he cried. I gave him a low dose aspirin and maybe that will help him be more comfy. He hasnt been indicating discomfort but he does get chronic ear infections. He does get really cranky when they are infected so fingers crossed this is an easy fix

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i jusy spoke to the vet and monday he will do a full work up and go from there. the vey said to give him his toys back because he was too stressed out over it. Now tonight they are laying on the couch together. So weird I really dont understand.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.