My Pup is eating wood chips and sticks

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
Bentley has had diarrhea the last day or so. Last night in the middle of the night I noticed he was having issues going. This morning I noticed it was really runny and a little bloody and then I noticed a stick came out. About 30 minutes later he went again and this time it was a wood chip. I'm thinking the blood is due to the sticks and wood chip. He is sleeping now. Do you think it is something I should worry about at the moment or just see if he gets better?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Bentley has had diarrhea the last day or so. Last night in the middle of the night I noticed he was having issues going. This morning I noticed it was really runny and a little bloody and then I noticed a stick came out. About 30 minutes later he went again and this time it was a wood chip. I'm thinking the blood is due to the sticks and wood chip. He is sleeping now. Do you think it is something I should worry about at the moment or just see if he gets better?

Sorry about your Bentley... those bullies eat anything!! Bc of the blood, I would definitely have him looked at. Being that he got the stick out is good, but no telling if there is something else still there, or if the stick may have caused any damage. Its better to be safe (I would ask for xray & ultrasound) and just make sure there's no bleeding - poor baby. I hope all is okay.... you gotta keep a careful eye on them because they are quick to swallow things they shouldn't. Please keep us posted!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Jeep a close eye on him when he is out, they will eat anything. The wood can cut his intestines and also make an obstruction, so try to keep him from eating that. We always have to follow our pups around and take things out of their mouths.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Both of our pups started eating wood from the day we brought them home. Lola has had poops that were more wood then poop, although we have had no bleeding. I often worry about it but unless we lock her up in a rubber room I'm not sure how to stop it. Hopefully it just gave a little scratch on the way through and heals up quickly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree -- get a smaple and hve the vet check him out to make sure there is not internal damage....

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Just try to take them away when you can. Both my boys like sticks so it can make yard time a little stressful taking them away constantly. I just try to make sure if any fall I get them first. Now wood chips are another story. If they are store bought they can be treated with chemicals and are dangerous. I just don't use them at all. No mulch either.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I would take Bentley to the vet to make sure he does not have any more sticks or wood in him, the wood and sticks could cause a lot of problems if some are still in him. Praying Bentley will be ok.

OP
Christina Stevens

Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
Thanks all. After I posted this the blood stopped in his stool, but he still had very bad diarrhea. He is eating fine and everything. This morning the blood in his stool started again. I'm taking him to the Vet first thing this morning. He is going about 2 times an hour now. Seems like he is trying to pass something but just not working. Please keep him in your prayers.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks all. After I posted this the blood stopped in his stool, but he still had very bad diarrhea. He is eating fine and everything. This morning the blood in his stool started again. I'm taking him to the Vet first thing this morning. He is going about 2 times an hour now. Seems like he is trying to pass something but just not working. Please keep him in your prayers.

Sending lots & lots of prayers for Mr. Bentley, hope everything goes well & he'll be back to himself soon! Keep us posted! :pray:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hoping that Bentley will be okay-please let us know and we are sending prayers:pray:for good news.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you're going through this with Bentley. I agree with advice from members above, I would have him checked out at the vet. I understand what you are going through, and also the worry you have at Bentley eating wood and sticks.
My male Bulldozer doesn't eat much from the outside other than stray napkins, or food wraps, but inside the house is another story, he loves textiles, he has swallowed 4 socks, a dish cloth, paper towel and Kleenex. He's always been able to pass these by either pooping them out or throwing them up. I can't give him any blankets, pillows, soft or stuffed toys as he will eat them. Blossom doesn't eat stuff in the house, but she eats everything she can find outside. I'm always having to watch where she walks and be a lookout for objects that she will eat, or I constantly have to take things out of her mouth. She also likes to eat wood chips and sticks, and she loves loves pinecones of all things. She also eats leaves, flowers, berries from trees, grass, and ABC gum. Last year she started eating cigarette butts which are really hard to deter her from because they are everywhere. These guys are so quick and they are truly Bully Goats.

Bentley014

Oct 26, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hope Bentley is ok after his visit to the vets. My Bentley has always eaten sticks & wood in the garden from day one its hard to keep a eye on them in the garden all the time especially in the dark.He always pooped them out but never any sign of blood.
Hope your Bentley is ok.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

how is your boy doing?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.