Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
That's great!!
How did your trainer address the aggression issue? We've had three trainers to date and nothing's worked.

Blue's also an angel around the trainer.. but only for a little while. His true colors come out eventually when it comes to toys..

Our issue was a little different as we had problems with our dogs fighting each other. They didn't have aggression towards us... BUT the rescued male did bite me once when I moved his bed... he also used to bark me into corners and stare me out. He was extremely dominant towards me and with my husband being away for 3 week periods I decided it was best for everyone to re-home him. I couldn't sort out 4 bulldogs getting into fights every other hour:( However, when my husband was home it worked better as he's more of a leader:ashamed:

Here's some things we did to sort our situation out:

We walked the dogs together as a pack, they were not allowed to walk in front of us and they were not allowed to pull or be excited. Sometimes we waited for probably 20 minutes by the gate before going outside for them to calm down. Felt like hours...

They were not allowed to do basically anything without permission, they had to sit for food and were not allowed to touch the food without me giving a sign that they could. Then after a minute of eating I had to direct them away from the bowl and stand between them and the food and once again give them permission to eat. Then I would do that a few times while they ate so they know the food is mine to do what I want with, and they can only eat cos I allow it. I wouldn't recommend you doing that though if he's got bad food aggression...

It was the same with toys, direct away and give back and go on and on like that. But our dogs didn't have food or toy aggression, these exercises where to teach them who the leader is so they don't have to fight each other for the position. And it did work, it got a little better but then my husband got sent away with work and it didn't work out with only me:(

So basically there were no more roaming the house and do what they wanted. Not allowed on couches or beds, not allowed to run in and out as they wanted, no treats without deserving it by doing a trick and no toys laying around to chew when ever they wanted. It's not fun but if you hang in there and you and the rest of the family is committed you will win:)

Maybe if you can fit a mussel on him so you can feel more confident, it helps a lot when you know you don't have to be scared of getting bitten.

I don't know if any of these things apply to toy and food aggression but I'm sure the trainer will have solutions, after all it is a pretty common issue.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
@binxrexchubbs I just wanted you to know that I wish you the best of luck with Chubbs, and the route you are taking with the behaviorist/trainer. I know how upset and sad you must be about this situation, as I would be, also. I will be praying that things go well, and the problem can be figured out, and you all will be able to solve this.
[emoji14]ray2:[emoji14]ray:
Thank you! [emoji3]

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I think it's great you're getting help from a behaviorist. We rescued a male and female bulldog in 2010, they were not in a rescue but in a home where they were neglected and I think possibly abused as the male bulldog had issues that pointed at it.

We got help from a trainer and it helped SO much, unfortunately we had to rehome the male (Frasier) as he fought like madness with our male bulldog Bennie. But the way our trainer handled the dogs was amazing, it was like a switch in their heads and they all behaved like angels around him. Of course as soon as he left they went back to being little brats but with the training techniques we got we could sort out most of the problems we had. According to our trainer aggression is the easiest issue to address so I think if you have the will you'll succeed:)

Those dogs are very lucky you rescued them! I hate when people do that.

I really hope we don't have to re-home Chubbs, but if the trainer doesn't work we may have to... it may be best for him and me (safety). I'm also nervous he'll listen to the trainer but then come home and completely ignore me. What I've realized is that I need to become stronger, both mentally and physically. We tried one technique while feeding him this morning. My dad found the video, César Milan. We tried it and it worked! I had to wear shoes though, which was a REALLY good idea. If I hadn't, id be in the hospital. But at least it worked! :yes:

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Our issue was a little different as we had problems with our dogs fighting each other. They didn't have aggression towards us... BUT the rescued male did bite me once when I moved his bed... he also used to bark me into corners and stare me out. He was extremely dominant towards me and with my husband being away for 3 week periods I decided it was best for everyone to re-home him. I couldn't sort out 4 bulldogs getting into fights every other hour:( However, when my husband was home it worked better as he's more of a leader:ashamed:

Here's some things we did to sort our situation out:

We walked the dogs together as a pack, they were not allowed to walk in front of us and they were not allowed to pull or be excited. Sometimes we waited for probably 20 minutes by the gate before going outside for them to calm down. Felt like hours...

They were not allowed to do basically anything without permission, they had to sit for food and were not allowed to touch the food without me giving a sign that they could. Then after a minute of eating I had to direct them away from the bowl and stand between them and the food and once again give them permission to eat. Then I would do that a few times while they ate so they know the food is mine to do what I want with, and they can only eat cos I allow it. I wouldn't recommend you doing that though if he's got bad food aggression...

It was the same with toys, direct away and give back and go on and on like that. But our dogs didn't have food or toy aggression, these exercises where to teach them who the leader is so they don't have to fight each other for the position. And it did work, it got a little better but then my husband got sent away with work and it didn't work out with only me:(

So basically there were no more roaming the house and do what they wanted. Not allowed on couches or beds, not allowed to run in and out as they wanted, no treats without deserving it by doing a trick and no toys laying around to chew when ever they wanted. It's not fun but if you hang in there and you and the rest of the family is committed you will win:)

Maybe if you can fit a mussel on him so you can feel more confident, it helps a lot when you know you don't have to be scared of getting bitten.

I don't know if any of these things apply to toy and food aggression but I'm sure the trainer will have solutions, after all it is a pretty common issue.

EVERYTHING you listed above, is EXACTLY what we want to accomplish. Yes, they all apply... toy and food. We've tried different muzzles and they either don't fit or he got it off easily. :(
My hubby is also more of a leader. I'm just such a quiet, laid back person. But as hubby just said, if I can handle/train him (he's such an ogre, haha)... I should eventually be able to do the same with Chubbs. I'm definitely looking forward to our sessions. :yes:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Those dogs are very lucky you rescued them! I hate when people do that.

I really hope we don't have to re-home Chubbs, but if the trainer doesn't work we may have to... it may be best for him and me (safety). I'm also nervous he'll listen to the trainer but then come home and completely ignore me. What I've realized is that I need to become stronger, both mentally and physically. We tried one technique while feeding him this morning. My dad found the video, César Milan. We tried it and it worked! I had to wear shoes though, which was a REALLY good idea. If I hadn't, id be in the hospital. But at least it worked! :yes:

Do not feel bad if it gets to much for you, you and Chubbs deserve to feel comfortable in your home and sometimes things just don't work out no matter how much we try or want it to. We gave Frasier to our trainer, he fell in love with him and Frasier needed a firm hand, someone that he could respect but at the same time not feel fearful of. I think Frasier was scarred from his previous life:( If you are scared it will make things difficult, so you need to do what ever you have to do to feel safe while training Chubbs. I was terrified of Frasier, I'm a small person and Frasier is quite a big boy (66 pounds). When he started to dominate me when my husband wasn't home I couldn't handle it anymore, and since he and our other male fought at the plain sight of each other the situation was out of hand.

I didn't feel scared as long as the trainer was with us, I trusted him completely and it made me calm and confident. I hope your trainer can do the same for you. I remember how frustrated I got sometimes and that feeling isn't allowed. Whenever you feel anything but calm and confident it's time to take a break.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Where did you get Chubbs from? Have you asked the breeder if anyone else has reported aggression issues with their pups? Although I can't see that conversation going over well. It just seems so odd to me that a 7 month old puppy has such aggression issues. I really do hope it all works out for you, but if you do give him up please contact a rescue that will make sure he's safe and help him with his behavior.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Do not feel bad if it gets to much for you, you and Chubbs deserve to feel comfortable in your home and sometimes things just don't work out no matter how much we try or want it to...

...I didn't feel scared as long as the trainer was with us, I trusted him completely and it made me calm and confident. I hope your trainer can do the same for you. I remember how frustrated I got sometimes and that feeling isn't allowed. Whenever you feel anything but calm and confident it's time to take a break.

Apologies for the delay in response. That's great that you found Frasier a good home! Maybe the trainer uses him as a role model for new 'clients'. And hopefully you feel more comfortable when hubby isn't home. It's awful when people mistreat any animal. I don't know how they can do that.

Surprisingly, I'm starting to feel more comfortable around Chubbs. However, I still do not want to go ANYWHERE near his mouth. *shaking head* [emoji53]

Hubby and I have been putting into practice the Ceasar Milan techniques. And the work fabulously, of course they would, haha. Chubbs is a smart cookie, he's learning real fast. Still needs practice but at least he's learning... as am I. It is hard to be calm so I do my absolute best to think of something that makes me feel confident. I'm definitely excited for our first lesson.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Where did you get Chubbs from? Have you asked the breeder if anyone else has reported aggression issues with their pups? Although I can't see that conversation going over well. It just seems so odd to me that a 7 month old puppy has such aggression issues. I really do hope it all works out for you, but if you do give him up please contact a rescue that will make sure he's safe and help him with his behavior.

I flew to Missouri to pick up our baby. We have tried numerous times and ways to get a hold of the breeder but nothing is working. Phone, text, email, I've even tried facebook! I 100% agree with you that it's odd for a 7 month old to have such aggressive behavior towards certain items. We and our parents are completely baffled. We hope it works out as well. We don't want to give him away. We both love him dearly! [emoji173] [emoji177] [emoji178] [emoji179] [emoji7] We are responsible so IF it comes to that, we of course will look for rescue.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Apologies for the delay in response. That's great that you found Frasier a good home! Maybe the trainer uses him as a role model for new 'clients'. And hopefully you feel more comfortable when hubby isn't home. It's awful when people mistreat any animal. I don't know how they can do that.

Surprisingly, I'm starting to feel more comfortable around Chubbs. However, I still do not want to go ANYWHERE near his mouth. *shaking head* [emoji53]

Hubby and I have been putting into practice the Ceasar Milan techniques. And the work fabulously, of course they would, haha. Chubbs is a smart cookie, he's learning real fast. Still needs practice but at least he's learning... as am I. It is hard to be calm so I do my absolute best to think of something that makes me feel confident. I'm definitely excited for our first lesson.

Chubbs is still so young, I really think he will get over it with some help:) I don't know if anyone mentioned this before... did this issue come up quickly? Sometimes aggression can come from pain, it can be almost anything, hurting hips, broken tooth, muscle pain... anything really:unsure:, but if he's calm and happy when not around food or toys it's probably not pain related... Looking forward to hear about his progress with the training lessons:)

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Chubbs is still so young, I really think he will get over it with some help:) I don't know if anyone mentioned this before... did this issue come up quickly? Sometimes aggression can come from pain, it can be almost anything, hurting hips, broken tooth, muscle pain... anything really:unsure:, but if he's calm and happy when not around food or toys it's probably not pain related... Looking forward to hear about his progress with the training lessons:)

Yes, it kinda came out of nowhere. We thought he might've been hurt as well but the vet said he was okay. And it's a 180. One minute he's Bruce Banner the next he's Hulk. He's very excited to see other people and dogs. It takes him awhile to calm down, I'm talking hours! We figure is just the puppy phase. However when it comes to food, toys, etc... Chubbs is just not the same dog. [emoji22] [emoji174]

Members online

No members online now.