Old English bull dog

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
:excited: :D Is there much difference between old English bullys & English bullys in nature different in looks :)

OP
Violet

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Does anyone have a old English bully :) would love some advise chat

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I have had Olde English, Frenchie and now two EB Knuckleheads. The two are only 10 months old. So far I cannot tell much difference in the Olde and EB's. The Frenchie was Totally different. The Frenchie would eat your *** alive. The EB is a smaller OEB with less brute strength. The OEB Hated Kids. If a kid came over we would have to put him up. All the neighbors knew that if the OEB got loose (which never happened) to run inside and call us. So far so good with the EB. Time will tell. Hope this helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i tagged two members that I could think of off the top of my head that have OEB. OEB tend to not have as many health issues as the EB and they are taller.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
weight and height muscle mass are the basic differences reaching over 100 lbs quite often

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have always thought Tank was more Olde English. He is a dream health wise. He breathes well (better than my little English gal that we had) even in more extreme situations temp or exertion wise. His temperament is amazing. He puts up with my young daughters playing "vet" on him and is very good with all the foster dogs and our dane puppy. He is a ton of dog in a smaller body though! He weighs about 60 pounds right now and is very very strong (he can take me for a walk!).

Body wise, he doesn't have as smooshed of a snout as most Bulldogs and he is a little taller and longer in the body. Check out my album for pics of him (he's the brown and white one :))

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
OEB have less breathing problems because their snouts are longer. They can be bigger but not always. Brutus my fawn guy is OEB.

OP
Violet

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
OEB have less breathing problems because their snouts are longer. They can be bigger but not always. Brutus my fawn guy is OEB.
How adorable is he :yes: he looks so big too

OP
Violet

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
I have had Olde English, Frenchie and now two EB Knuckleheads. The two are only 10 months old. So far I cannot tell much difference in the Olde and EB's. The Frenchie was Totally different. The Frenchie would eat your *** alive. The EB is a smaller OEB with less brute strength. The OEB Hated Kids. If a kid came over we would have to put him up. All the neighbors knew that if the OEB got loose (which never happened) to run inside and call us. So far so good with the EB. Time will tell. Hope this helps.
My OEB does have a bit of a temper with certain people though did worry us a little he's 7 months now he's getting so big & he has got a good side to him but we're going to try puppy classes see if that changes him a little thankyou for replying :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I got tagged for this thread but I don't have an Olde English. I have an Amitola English that has AKC papers as purebred English. Unlike Olde English, Amitola is not a mixed breed - it is offspring selection of purebred EBs. Basically, they take a litter of purebred EB puppies, pick the puppy that displays their desired characteristic (narrower chest, wider butt, not too smooshed nose, perfect EB personality, etc.) and only breed those.

Olde English, on the other hand, is a mixed breed. They take an EB and mix it with American Bulldog, Bullmastiff, and Pit Bull to maintain the strength and temperament of the English bulldog but get rid of much of its health issues. As this breed is not currently accepted by any of the main Kennel Clubs - it is tricky to get a purebred OEB. To guarantee that your dog is a true OEB, you'll have to get the paper from the OEB Kennel Club.

So, if you got the OEB from a reputable breeder with the paper, you have a dog with the EB temperament - highly intelligent and independent (many people think they are stubborn and dumb because they're not easy to train because they have a mind of their own), friendly, and tolerant of other pets and kids. They are strong and active dogs and can be protective and alert. They may still have EB health issues but generally, this dog should be relatively healthier.

Unfortunately, a lot of OEBs out there are not standard ones and instead of displaying the EB temperament, they would display more of the other mixes - so they would be more like pit bulls or bullmastiffs, etc. So, it really depends on where you get the OEB from and its specific lineage. I've had interaction with purebred OEBs and man, they are an impressive breed (the dogs I've met are close to 80 lbs of muscular stocky dog). I've encountered lots of declared-as-OEBs at the shelter and they have such varied looks and temperament I can't relate them to the OEBs of the club.

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
My friend used to have an old English I don't think there's that much of a noticeable difference il see if I can find a pic of her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I have an Olde English boy and a Frenglish girl..He is taller and not as stocky as an English.They are suppose to have less health issues but I think that's a matter of opinion.We love our boy but he acts out more than her and pouts a lot.lol.He has had 3 eye surgeries and now partially torn knee ligaments so our vet thinks.He has way less energy than her too :) Here's His pic
6cdaa75c248c19d166647ddbc0ed0484.jpg
e13ed42b136ef4016f93022eee9033be.jpg

OP
Violet

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Are thankyou would be much apprieciated love to see that please :yes:

OP
Violet

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Thankyou for that info very interesting he is very clever & does have different depemperament which worried us a bit were putting him in training as he is a bit aggressive sometimes which is a bit of a worry for us just with certain men our trainer says he is so clever knows exactly what he's doing picks stuff up straight away he's 7 months now 21kg already he is big boy his face is just like on your pic so cuddly just hope we can calm him down cos when he's good he's fab ��

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.