Least Favorite EB comments in public

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
After having my little bulldog family out in public, I've came to notice, there are a lot of comments about them that are like nails on a chalkboard! What are some of your least favorite comments you've heard about your babies? Here are mine:
"WOW, them's high dollar dogs! How much'd you pay for'em?" *insert cost of each dog here* "You're stupid! You could've bought *insert frivolous crap here* for that much!"
"When are you going to have their tails docked?" *insert my very confused look here*
"They're so ugly they're cute"
"You must be loaded! What do you do for a livin'?"
"Your dog's deaf? *pulls hand away like Penny has a major disease*"
"GOD! Your dog is fat! *pulls feverishly at Penny's neck rolls*"
^I was MAD about this! Not only was said person holding my 16 lb dog by the rib cage with one hand, he was jerking her neck like she couldn't feel it. He heard what all I had to say that night. It wasn't pretty. After all that, he told me about kicking his cattle dogs so hard they pooped themselves. Needless to say, he isn't allowed to touch my dogs, and after I was through, we probably won't speak again!
I have to say most of my interactions with the public are really positive for my doggies. Even though each time we meet someone new, I never know what sort of questions or comments to expect.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I haven't had anyone come outright and ask how much they cost.
Also, I've only had the "you're so ugly you're cute" comment once, and another time some idiot woman in the car next to ours made a loud comment how ugly Blue was. His head was out the car window. I went nuts but the light changed, and we all drove off.

What I did get recently, just a few days ago actually, is a speech about all the health issues Bulldogs have (because.. uh.. I don't know.. :rolleyes: .) Then she proceeded to say how since they can't breed naturally, we shouldn't be intervening. In other words, she was pretty much saying to let them die out. I was surprised considering she has dogs of her own.

But, she's a "neighbor", and I wasn't going to get into a screaming match with her outside, not worth it.
This was when "kill them with kindness" kicked in and I just smiled and nodded, told her how cute her tiny dogs were, wished her a good day and went on my merry way.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have never had a negative encounter thank goodness. I usually have people taking pictures of the boys and petting them. It does bother me that some people think Frankie looks scary, but I would rather they ask me before they touch him anyway. Ellie, [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION], when I just smile and nod is when everyone who knows me knows it's time to take cover because "stuff" is going to go down. Me quiet is never ever a good thing. lol

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I've definitely gotten the "he's so ugly he's cute" comment more than once, and the "omg, he's so fat comment". I know this isn't a "bad" comment per say, but the thing that aggravates me the most (which I get ALLLOOOTTT) is "are you going to breed? Sell me a puppy" - or "would you be willing to sell him" - one time, a UPS man stopped and asked me if I was willing to sell him - he said "everything has a price".........excuse me, but WTF.... no, I'm not selling my baby... and if everything has a price, do you have kids? How much do you want for one of your children? Because in my eyes, he may have four legs, but he's my child. I hate hate hate people who use bullies just to breed & make money. Ugh. Vent over.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I have never had a negative encounter thank goodness. I usually have people taking pictures of the boys and petting them. It does bother me that some people think Frankie looks scary, but I would rather they ask me before they touch him anyway. Ellie, @nycbullymama, when I just smile and nod is when everyone who knows me knows it's time to take cover because "stuff" is going to go down. Me quiet is never ever a good thing. lol

I don't really have any bad encounters either. Just those few in the two years we've had Blue. I don't think my "neighbor" (she lives in my building) really understood how offensive she was being. She was just speaking her mind, no filter..lol.. I have that problem too :eek: .

Rosalie, now I know if you're ever quiet, I need to run the other way..lol..

@TyTysmom

Your UPS guy is a total idiot. But yeah, better to not say anything if you want to continue getting your packagaes..lol..

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I don't really have any bad encounters either. Just those few in the two years we've had Blue. I don't think my "neighbor" (she lives in my building) really understood how offensive she was being. She was just speaking her mind, no filter..lol.. I have that problem too :eek: .

Rosalie, now I know if you're ever quiet, I need to run the other way..lol..

@TyTysmom

Your UPS guy is a total idiot. But yeah, better to not say anything if you want to continue getting your packagaes..lol..
lol, I have learned to control myself, mostly :no:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@nycbullymama - haha. well.... i made the comment about his kids having a price, i have trouble with my words when someone insults me or my family (its the NY in me, haha). so far, all my packages are safe... but probably bc he doesnt know where i live, LOL - we were on a walk and away from the house.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Gee, You all make me wish I lived in the city! None of my dogs get to go out "in public", as there is no public! Sometimes I take Maude to the feed store, but she waits in the car. There are no sidewalks here-and if a car zooms by-they don't even slow down. When I had my horses, we'd have to jump into the ditch if a car was coming. If I go to town, I am afraid to take any dog with me-I am afraid someone would steal out of the car. The majority of people here only steal dogs to sell! This used to be a nice area-now it is over run w drugs. The new slogan for Tn. should be "Tennessee ain't what it used to be!" That's my story n' I'm stickin' to it!!!:p

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
This thread is very timely! All of my questions/comments have been positive, except for just an hour ago: Someone outside asked me how much she costs... I hate that!!! I am never prepared for busy-body questions like that. I need to be better prepared.

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
The paparazzi follow us everywhere we go, too! Lol! We take our babies with us on at least 2 trips a week to Lowe's, Home Depot, Petsmart, too see "dad" at work, and my husband usually takes one with him everyday to work-he's a Diesel Performance mechanic-So the whole Bully Dog thing really fits the shop. We're trying to socialize or babies as much now while they're babies as possible, and they love the attention!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This thread is very timely! All of my questions/comments have been positive, except for just an hour ago: Someone outside asked me how much she costs... I hate that!!! I am never prepared for busy-body questions like that. I need to be better prepared. @Cali Doll Either tell them "Nunya'" or she costs "my love for her lifetime". @CrazyDogMomThe paparazzi follow us everywhere we go, too! Lol! We take our babies with us on at least 2 trips a week to Lowe's, Home Depot, Petsmart, too see "dad" at work, and my husband usually takes one with him everyday to work-he's a Diesel Performance mechanic-So the whole Bully Dog thing really fits the shop. We're trying to socialize or babies as much now while they're babies as possible, and they love the attention! Yeah, show off my "relatives!"

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
"He's fat!" i get that often enough but that just goes to show that those people don't really know much of the breed. So i would then try to explain that no he isn't fat. As a matter of fact if you look...--then the person will turn around and walk away lol. That happens pretty often. Another thing i hate is when they pull their dog away and say "my dog doesn't know if your dog is growling or breathing" Oh When he growls you'll know! And the most thing i hate people who thinks they know better say: "the breed is so unhealthy people shouldn't have them!" "They're breathing is so bad owning one is animal cruelty!" "They should stop breeding them because of the many health issues". I get those frequently than "he's fat" comments. When we ride the train, go to the park, there would always be a comment like that. English Bulldog is really not popular here. there was once a woman who shielded her son against the bushes and walked sideways, arms spread while my boy and i were walking by. Told her not to worry he already had his breakfast lol.

Being asked how much we paid for him is not something i mind. I rarely get that question and depends who asks, i sometimes tell them the truth.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Oh my favorite is "only a face a mother could love"...WTF does that mean?!?!? Or "They are eating good" and mine aren't even chunky. drives me nuts.
I have had very negative encounters with mine. Lots of people think they are mean because their teeth show. Too bad those people will never know the love of a bulldog! I'm very lucky :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online