USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
It's a mixed bag in Minneapolis. Below are a few things I hear a regular basis

"What a homely looking dog"
"OMG CAN I PET HIM HE'S SO CUTE"
"Bet you paid big bucks for him"

The worst I've received

"Oh look a man made abomination that will cost you fortunes in vet bills" Then she tries to pet him?????? - I had quite a few words for this lady and i doubt she'll interact with us again :)

I've also been called a monster for not adopting from the local animal shelter *shrugs*

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
My peeve is when we have Tank out in his wagon and he gets called "lazy" or "spoiled". I swear I am going to make him his own handicapped plate for the wagon. My response to "that's cheating"on our walks is "actually, this is harder. you pull half your weight for two miles" !

He cannot go more than half a block due to bad knees and a irreparable shoulder. They ask if he got in there on his own and I just shake my head.

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
It's a mixed bag in Minneapolis. Below are a few things I hear a regular basis

"What a homely looking dog"
"OMG CAN I PET HIM HE'S SO CUTE"
"Bet you paid big bucks for him"

The worst I've received

"Oh look a man made abomination that will cost you fortunes in vet bills" Then she tries to pet him?????? - I had quite a few words for this lady and i doubt she'll interact with us again :)

I've also been called a monster for not adopting from the local animal shelter *shrugs*

When the ASPCA commercials come on TV with their sad eyed puppies I always have a small tinge of guilt. Then I remind myself no breed is exempt from ending up a shelter.
"Man made abomination"?! Whaaa?! I'm not sure what words would've came out of my mouth if someone said that about my babies!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
oooh.. i forgot about the "fat" comment Blue once got.

Some woman in the elevator looked at Blue, and said in a baby voice "You don't look like you've missed many meals" then laughed. He was 58lbs of amuscle. So I said, "neither do you" then of course "kidding kidding". She barely smiled..lol..

thanks. I think I can use this comeback comment next time. Excellent.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
The only negative comment I've gotten is that Mabel is "so ugly, she's beautiful." I find it offensive--would never say that to anyone about their child. I do what most adopters of these dogs do when asked about "How much?" and tell them she is a rescue. I've noticed when I take her to Petsmart or Petco that people will follow us around. Some get right down on the floor with her. Bulldogs are like magnets for kids.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
The only negative comment I've gotten is that Mabel is "so ugly, she's beautiful." I find it offensive--would never say that to anyone about their child. I do what most adopters of these dogs do when asked about "How much?" and tell them she is a rescue. I've noticed when I take her to Petsmart or Petco that people will follow us around. Some get right down on the floor with her. Bulldogs are like magnets for kids.

aaaaah, yes people do not know what they're missing.

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
We get the "how much did he cost you" all the time. It's so rude and it drives me crazy. My mother in law is the worst about it. When she found out George had to have surgery she asked how much that was going to run us and I promptly told her that I would sell my car to pay for whatever GMan needed. She scoffed and then made the comment "you'll never be ready for children at this rate"... I'm telling you if looks could kill..... We make it a point not to discuss our finances outside of our house so I find it super tacky for her to bring it up... I think she is just bitter because everytime she asks me when she is going to get a grand baby I respond with "um? You have one.." And point to George 😂😂

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's the question that always gets me, how much did you have to pay for that. :sneaky2:

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
A lady at the groomer yesterday tried to get me to disclose how much I paid for Belle. She kept making comments like, "aren't those really expensive" and "how did you afford her". I was polite but dodged the questions. In the future I'll just tell people that prices vary but their best bet is to find a reputable breeder and ask them.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
That's the question that always gets me, how much did you have to pay for that. :sneaky2:
Agreed. It's no one's business how much they cost.

One that gets me most people think she's a boy. They say, how old is he?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

This puzzles me because Bella is always in pink. She has a pink collar and a pink leash at all times. LOL!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle

Omg YES. I took Belle to Petsmart yesterday and I swear everyone referred to her as a boy. She had on a bright purple collar, leash, and she's obviously missing boy parts :whistle: UGH.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This puzzles me because Bella is always in pink. She has a pink collar and a pink leash at all times. LOL!
You are not alone lol Pork Chop wears a red harness and collar with a pink leash , people!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[/B]

Omg YES. I took Belle to Petsmart yesterday and I swear everyone referred to her as a boy. She had on a bright purple collar, leash, and she's obviously missing boy parts :whistle: UGH.
My mom said , what do people think that all bulldogs are boys? Lol Interesting bec this driver was checking Pork chop out and he said how old is he? I said its a she. He went on to say he has a female bulldog he wants to breed. I am like sorry can't help you. Even if I had a boy not going to let him hook up with someone on the street.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.