well, it's official...

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Chubbs is scheduled for a neuter next Monday. Originally, we weren't gonna but we changed our minds. Has your baby been altered? If so, did they change?

On another note, we finally got an appointment with a behaviorist. Our veterinarian referred him. I've also heard he's the 'best in the area' from many people. I'm still waiting to hear back from a separate trainer that's based out of place 2 minutes away (the other place is 20 minutes away.) This appointment is a 30 minute evaluation (free, yay!) to figure out the best class/training for us.

Another topic change, Chubbs seems to need tons of exercise... like more than 30-45 minutes. My main reasoning is because once we get back he acts as if we never went out. If anything he has more energy. He has a vet appointment to get levels checked, make sure nothing's wrong.

Thank you C.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great news.... neutering will not impact much at first, in fact some have no change at all... all pups are different. So happy you have someone schedule to come in and help with Chubbs! keep us posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Great news.... neutering will not impact much at first, in fact some have no change at all... all pups are different. So happy you have someone schedule to come in and help with Chubbs! keep us posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed

Good. Unfortunately, we have to go to their business but we'll see what kind of training is needed. Either way, I will.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Another topic change, Chubbs seems to need tons of exercise... like more than 30-45 minutes. My main reasoning is because once we get back he acts as if we never went out. If anything he has more energy. He has a vet appointment to get levels checked, make sure nothing's wrong.

Some bullies are much more energetic than the breed standard. Ruckus is hard to tire out in the colder months. I can take him to the park for an hour or on a 45 minute walk and he's ready for some inside tug-o-war. Ruckus probably gets 4-5 walks per day varying on length and sometimes we mix in the park or a play date with a doggy friend. He is almost 2 and rarely has a lazy day.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo is neutered and I'm VERY happy with it. Canelo had an issue with a testicle not dropping and that was our decision maker. We have Chug the pug who has mated and had a litter. He still marks and it makes me nuts, so nuts he wears a belly band!!! He's been neutered but after mating and having the litter so he hasn't forgotten. Canelo is well behaved, doesn't mark and is a good boy. It's not what I wanted to do but it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wellie and Blue were both neutered 12/8 so a little less than two months ago. Blue was exactly two years old and Wellie was 16 months old.

I haven't noticed any difference in their personalities towards us. Neither marked before so nothing changed there.

What I have noticed, and this is making me very uncomfortable is, Blue went after a French Bulldog who's 9 months old a few nights ago. He's known him since our neighbor got him
and they never had problems. Next thing I know, I hear growling and Blue's lunging for him. No idea what set him off.

Then today, I took Wellie for his walk. There's a boxer here who's about a year old and who Wellie knows well. Today, the boxer went in for a sniff- Wellie snapped his neck and growled. He's never, ever done that before.
In fact, he doesn't care who smells him, or at least he never did.

Since nothing has changed, I'm thinking it because they're now neutered.

I'm guessing our situation isn't the norm, so don't let it dissuade you.. but just letting you know how my very social bulldogs, are not so very social anymore.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Some bullies are much more energetic than the breed standard. Ruckus is hard to tire out in the colder months. I can take him to the park for an hour or on a 45 minute walk and he's ready for some inside tug-o-war. Ruckus probably gets 4-5 walks per day varying on length and sometimes we mix in the park or a play date with a doggy friend. He is almost 2 and rarely has a lazy day.

Yes! This is what Chubbs sounds like. Glad it's just not us, I thought I was going crazy, lol. I wish we had a dog park within walking distance. The closest one is 20 minutes away and the dogs all have to be fixed. Play dates, hmmm. I wonder if people post/advertise that around here... guest I'll be looking at signs more, haha.
You said he's hard to tire out in the colder months. What's he like in the summer?

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Canelo is neutered and I'm VERY happy with it. Canelo had an issue with a testicle not dropping and that was our decision maker. We have Chug the pug who has mated and had a litter. He still marks and it makes me nuts, so nuts he wears a belly band!!! He's been neutered but after mating and having the litter so he hasn't forgotten. Canelo is well behaved, doesn't mark and is a good boy. It's not what I wanted to do but it works.

Chubbs has the same issue (1 testicle not dropping.) We've noticed something's starting to show in THAT area. Hopefully I'll get good news next week. He's never marked, at least not that I'm aware of. Fingers crossed he doesn't start. :begging:

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Wellie and Blue were both neutered 12/8 so a little less than two months ago. Blue was exactly two years old and Wellie was 16 months old.

I haven't noticed any difference in their personalities towards us. Neither marked before so nothing changed there.

What I have noticed, and this is making me very uncomfortable is, Blue went after a French Bulldog who's 9 months old a few nights ago. He's known him since our neighbor got him
and they never had problems. Next thing I know, I hear growling and Blue's lunging for him. No idea what set him off.

Then today, I took Wellie for his walk. There's a boxer here who's about a year old and who Wellie knows well. Today, the boxer went in for a sniff- Wellie snapped his neck and growled. He's never, ever done that before.
In fact, he doesn't care who smells him, or at least he never did.

Since nothing has changed, I'm thinking it because they're now neutered.

I'm guessing our situation isn't the norm, so don't let it dissuade you.. but just letting you know how my very social bulldogs, are not so very social anymore.

Is there a reason why you waited to neuter the boys?
Wait, let me get this straight: Blue went after a dog he's known for awhile??? If that's correct... that is strange and definitely nerve racking, hmmm.

Do you walk the boys separately? Whatcha mean Willie 'snapped his neck'? Do you mean Willie snapped AT the boxers neck while being sniffed?
Other than to get to know each other, I don't understand the sniffing dogs do. :hmm:

Chubbs is getting cut, that's 100% guaranteed. If he wasn't so misbehaved, we wouldn't have to go down the path we're now on. :nope:
Apologies for all the questions.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Is there a reason why you waited to neuter the boys?
Wait, let me get this straight: Blue went after a dog he's known for awhile??? If that's correct... that is strange and definitely nerve racking, hmmm.

Do you walk the boys separately? Whatcha mean Willie 'snapped his neck'? Do you mean Willie snapped AT the boxers neck while being sniffed?
Other than to get to know each other, I don't understand the sniffing dogs do. :hmm:

Chubbs is getting cut, that's 100% guaranteed. If he wasn't so misbehaved, we wouldn't have to go down the path we're now on. :nope:
Apologies for all the questions.

I neutered them for social reasons. Most dogs don't seem to like intact males. Since we live in a very populated area, and every one seems to have a dog, I thought it was best
to neuter them.

Yes, Blue went after a dog he knows.

I walk them separately during the day because it's just me and I can't take two bulldogs out at once.
At night, it's me and Chris so they get walked together.

Wellie was sniffing a big chunk of snow/ice. The boxer came in for a sniff. Wellie snapped his neck, as in turned around very fast and growled. Yes, the boxer and Wellie know each other.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Yes! This is what Chubbs sounds like. Glad it's just not us, I thought I was going crazy, lol. I wish we had a dog park within walking distance. The closest one is 20 minutes away and the dogs all have to be fixed. Play dates, hmmm. I wonder if people post/advertise that around here... guest I'll be looking at signs more, haha.
You said he's hard to tire out in the colder months. What's he like in the summer?

(On a side note, Ruckus isn't neutered. I'm not sure if I'll ever have it done. He's such a sweet guy and isn't aggressive ever. If another dog growls or barks at him he puts his ears back and runs away. I'm afraid his personality will change and I'm a worrywart about putting him under anesthesia.)

In the summer he's a little easier because he wants to rest his tummy on the cool floor after being outside in the heat. Indoors, however, he will go like the energizer puppy. So he still has lots of energy in the summer it just comes in spurts and in winter it's a continuous string. I've learned to keep a lot of toys and various chews on hand. I hide his toys every now and then and pull out some old ones he hasn't seen in awhile which helps keep him occupied. I also have a stockpile of marrow bones, antlers, and cow ears (they stiiiink but he looooves them) on hand for bribery purposes. For example, I was working from home this afternoon and Ruckus just wanted to go go go. I took him on a walk and played tug o war and chased him around (his favorite game) and I had to go the bribery route to get him to lay down. One great thing about him is that he does sleep when I'm gone almost exclusively. If he's home alone there is most certainly snoring going on.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I thought long and hard about getting my frank neutered. I heard so many different opinions about neutering changing a dogs personality. I'm still not certain, and I'm sure all dogs are different so I can only tell you what I've seen since frank was neutered a month ago. Previously, he would get excited, so much so that we were worried he'd hurt himself. It didn't get to that point often as we would catch it early and work to calm him down, but he would fling himself around the house with no regard to his body! Typical bully not realizing how big he is. Crashing into me, my boyfriend, the coffee table, doors. It was puppy zoomies x100! During these episodes he would also attempt to hump my leg. Only me, never my boyfriend. We would stop this behavior, crate him, and remove ourselves from the situation immediatly. Nothing really seemed to be working. We were also excersizing him regularly, he would sometimes play fetch for 30-45 mins, and he always gets a 30 min walk in once or twice a day. Fast forward to frank's neuter. We are now about 4 weeks out and I do notice a difference. He still get the zoomies but nowhere near as stimulated/excited as before. He has not attempted to hump me at all! Possibly the best of all though, he's become my 40lb lap dog. Before the neuter, he would never sit still long enough to snuggle with me. He's been SO sweet lately and snuggling every chance he can get. I really wanted him to just chill with me while I read a book or watch tv, and he's finally been doing that! I am so happy :)

I don't know if he is just maturing/mellowing out (he's 8 months old) or if the neuter really did help. We didn't get him neutered hoping for a change, but I gladly welcome the non-humping/cuddle bug frank we have now.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I take my Bully Boris in on Thursday to have his marbles removed and I'm terrified he'll hate me for it, but he's been mounting everything he can get his legs around and not doing so well with other dogs. It's not that he has issues with the dogs, but I can't seem to find a dog that isnt aggressive towards him when we walk in the city. I've heard from many people that it doesn't change them at all, but each dog is different.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] [MENTION=13617]Enjoimangos[/MENTION] it's almost been a week since Chubbs' snipper-a-roo. So far there doesn't seem to be any change, in attitude or energy. He's even on a mild sedative which doesn't seem to much. Maybe I need to give it some more time. *shrug*

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.