Fruit

ellie67

Dec 15, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Hi i have read that quite a few owners feed their bulldogs fruit as snacks at what age and what fruits do you recommend ? Thank you .

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have been giving Harlea watermelon, cantaloupe, bananas, apple slices, blueberries and the occasional strawberry slice among other things since she was about 3 months old. Be sure to stay away from grapes and raisins.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have been giving Harlea watermelon, cantaloupe, bananas, apple slices, blueberries and the occasional strawberry slice among other things since she was about 3 months old. Be sure to stay away from grapes and raisins.

agreed! Pretty much anything but grapes and raisins. Everything in moderation as you do not want to give too much

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with others above, no grapes or raisins, but pretty much anything else goes. I started giving my guys fruits and vegetables when they were about 5 months old. I usually give them their fruits as a snack or a treat in the mornings, and they also get their plain yogurt at this time as well. I mix it up sometimes they get blueberries, sometimes strawberries, or cut up apples, and I give them a 1/2 of a banana twice a week, as bananas are high in sugar. In the summer they like watermelon. In the evenings they get vegetables on top of their kibble, usually whatever we are eating that night, I just make some extra so there is enough for them as well. They like cooked carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and frozen mixed veggies. When you are first starting to give them these extras, make sure to introduce each new food one at a time and for a week before starting the next food. That way if they have an intolerance or an allergic reaction to one of the foods, you will know right away which one caused it. Signs of allergic reactions are hives, scratching, diarrhea, or swelling of eyes.

Dog Approved People Food

By Nicole Pajer

We try to keep our dogs on their canine diets but sometimes we just canā€™t resist slipping them an occasional human morsel. If youā€™d like to reward your pet with a table scrap, make sure that you choose people foods that are safe for canine tummies.
Here are a few ā€œdog-approvedā€ people foods:

1. Peanut butter. A favorite treat of many canines. Not only is it a good source of protein, but it also contains heart healthy fats, vitamin B, niacin, and vitamin E. Stuff peanut butter into a Kong to keep your dog busy for hours. Choose raw, unsalted peanut butter.

2. Cooked chicken. Can be slipped into the bowl along with your dogā€™s regular food to add a spice and extra protein to its diet. This also makes a good meal replacement if youā€™re in a pinch and out of dog food.

3. Cheese. A great treat for a dog as long as she isnā€™t lactose intolerant, which a small percentage are. Make sure to monitor your dogā€™s reaction. Opt for low or reduced fat varieties and donā€™t overfeed, as many cheeses can be high in fat. Cottage cheese is typically a good choice.

4. Baby carrots. Good for a dogā€™s teeth, carrots are low calorie and high in fiber and beta carotene/vitamin A.

5. Yogurt. High in calcium and protein. But make sure to only choose yogurts that do not contain artificial sweeteners or added sugars. Yogurts with active bacteria can act as a probiotic and are good for your dogā€™s digestive system.

6. Salmon. A good source of omega 3 fatty acids, which are responsible for keeping your dogā€™s coat healthy and shiny, as well as supporting your dogā€™s immune system. Feed your dog cooked salmon, add salmon oil to her food bowl, or slip him some of your unwanted fish skins.

7. Pumpkin. Good source of fiber as well as beta-carotene/vitamin A. It can help keep the GI tract moving and can aid with digestive issues.

8. Eggs. Scrambling up an egg for your pup is a great way to give her diet a protein boost. Eggs are also a source of easily digestible riboflavin and selenium, making them a healthy snack.

9. Green Beans.Make a great treat for your dog since they are filling and low in calories. Select beans that have no added salt.

10. Apple Slices. Help to clean residue off a dogā€™s teeth, which helps to freshen her breath. Apples are a good source of fiber as well as vitamin A and C. Make sure to take out the seeds and the core before feeding to your dog, as these can be choking hazards.

11. Oatmeal. A great source of soluble fiber, which can be especially beneficial to senior dogs with bowel irregularity issues. It is also a great alternate grain for dogs allergic to wheat. Make sure to cook oatmeal before serving it to your dog. Do not add any sugar or flavor additives.

These are just a few of the human foods that you can toss your dogā€™s way. Remember to try them in small amounts. If your dog experiences any sort of reaction, immediately consult a veterinarian. Before giving your dog any people food, do your research to make sure itā€™s safe. Never feed your dog toxic human items such as: chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins, yeast dough, artificial sweeteners, macadamia nuts, avocadoes, alcohol, or coffee. Consult your veterinarian with any questions on what is safe and what is harmful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foods That are Safe for Dogs

Fruit

Be sure to wash all fruits and remove rinds, inedible skins, seeds, and pits before feeding to pets.

Apple

Apricot

Banana

Blueberries

Cantaloupe

Mango

Orange

Pear

Pineapple

Raspberries

Strawberries

Watermelon

Steer clear of: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney damage for cats and dogs, so avoid feeding these entirely. Citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and grapefruit as well as persimmons can cause an upset stomach.

Vegetables

Consider steaming or boiling cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, as they are much easier to digest when they are cooked.

Asparagus

Bell peppers (red, green, yellow)

Broccoli

Cabbage

Carrots

Cauliflower

Celery

Cucumber

Green beans

Lettuce

Pumpkin

Spinach

Sweet potato

Steer clear of: Never feed your pet onions or garlic as they are toxic in all forms: cooked, raw, and even onion powder. These cause damage to the red blood cells, ultimately causing them to burst. Rhubarb and wild mushrooms also contain toxins. We suggest avoiding corn as it is a common allergen among pets.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
just remember in moderation and individually at first that way you can see if it brings up allergies I now know my boy does not like apples and reacts to fowl and bacon but loves his carrots and most fruit mostly strawberries .

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I've said it before, but Bella eats everything. I mean, she even greedily licks the coconut oil straight off the spoon. Thankfully, I haven't found a food she's allergic to. She eats carrots and cheese frequently as her treats. I might try to add some of these other goodies to her meal plan.

OP
ellie67

ellie67

Dec 15, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Thank you all i will start him off on one at a time.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I agree with others above, no grapes or raisins, but pretty much anything else goes. I started giving my guys fruits and vegetables when they were about 5 months old. I usually give them their fruits as a snack or a treat in the mornings, and they also get their plain yogurt at this time as well. I mix it up sometimes they get blueberries, sometimes strawberries, or cut up apples, and I give them a 1/2 of a banana twice a week, as bananas are high in sugar. In the summer they like watermelon. In the evenings they get vegetables on top of their kibble, usually whatever we are eating that night, I just make some extra so there is enough for them as well. They like cooked carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and frozen mixed veggies. When you are first starting to give them these extras, make sure to introduce each new food one at a time and for a week before starting the next food. That way if they have an intolerance or an allergic reaction to one of the foods, you will know right away which one caused it. Signs of allergic reactions are hives, scratching, diarrhea, or swelling of eyes.

Dog Approved People Food

By Nicole Pajer

We try to keep our dogs on their canine diets but sometimes we just canā€™t resist slipping them an occasional human morsel. If youā€™d like to reward your pet with a table scrap, make sure that you choose people foods that are safe for canine tummies.
Here are a few ā€œdog-approvedā€ people foods:

1. Peanut butter. A favorite treat of many canines. Not only is it a good source of protein, but it also contains heart healthy fats, vitamin B, niacin, and vitamin E. Stuff peanut butter into a Kong to keep your dog busy for hours. Choose raw, unsalted peanut butter.

2. Cooked chicken. Can be slipped into the bowl along with your dogā€™s regular food to add a spice and extra protein to its diet. This also makes a good meal replacement if youā€™re in a pinch and out of dog food.

3. Cheese. A great treat for a dog as long as she isnā€™t lactose intolerant, which a small percentage are. Make sure to monitor your dogā€™s reaction. Opt for low or reduced fat varieties and donā€™t overfeed, as many cheeses can be high in fat. Cottage cheese is typically a good choice.

4. Baby carrots. Good for a dogā€™s teeth, carrots are low calorie and high in fiber and beta carotene/vitamin A.

5. Yogurt. High in calcium and protein. But make sure to only choose yogurts that do not contain artificial sweeteners or added sugars. Yogurts with active bacteria can act as a probiotic and are good for your dogā€™s digestive system.

6. Salmon. A good source of omega 3 fatty acids, which are responsible for keeping your dogā€™s coat healthy and shiny, as well as supporting your dogā€™s immune system. Feed your dog cooked salmon, add salmon oil to her food bowl, or slip him some of your unwanted fish skins.

7. Pumpkin. Good source of fiber as well as beta-carotene/vitamin A. It can help keep the GI tract moving and can aid with digestive issues.

8. Eggs. Scrambling up an egg for your pup is a great way to give her diet a protein boost. Eggs are also a source of easily digestible riboflavin and selenium, making them a healthy snack.

9. Green Beans.Make a great treat for your dog since they are filling and low in calories. Select beans that have no added salt.

10. Apple Slices. Help to clean residue off a dogā€™s teeth, which helps to freshen her breath. Apples are a good source of fiber as well as vitamin A and C. Make sure to take out the seeds and the core before feeding to your dog, as these can be choking hazards.

11. Oatmeal. A great source of soluble fiber, which can be especially beneficial to senior dogs with bowel irregularity issues. It is also a great alternate grain for dogs allergic to wheat. Make sure to cook oatmeal before serving it to your dog. Do not add any sugar or flavor additives.

These are just a few of the human foods that you can toss your dogā€™s way. Remember to try them in small amounts. If your dog experiences any sort of reaction, immediately consult a veterinarian. Before giving your dog any people food, do your research to make sure itā€™s safe. Never feed your dog toxic human items such as: chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins, yeast dough, artificial sweeteners, macadamia nuts, avocadoes, alcohol, or coffee. Consult your veterinarian with any questions on what is safe and what is harmful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foods That are Safe for Dogs

Fruit

Be sure to wash all fruits and remove rinds, inedible skins, seeds, and pits before feeding to pets.

Apple

Apricot

Banana

Blueberries

Cantaloupe

Mango

Orange

Pear

Pineapple

Raspberries

Strawberries

Watermelon

Steer clear of: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney damage for cats and dogs, so avoid feeding these entirely. Citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and grapefruit as well as persimmons can cause an upset stomach.

Vegetables

Consider steaming or boiling cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, as they are much easier to digest when they are cooked.

Asparagus

Bell peppers (red, green, yellow)

Broccoli

Cabbage

Carrots

Cauliflower

Celery

Cucumber

Green beans

Lettuce

Pumpkin

Spinach

Sweet potato

Steer clear of: Never feed your pet onions or garlic as they are toxic in all forms: cooked, raw, and even onion powder. These cause damage to the red blood cells, ultimately causing them to burst. Rhubarb and wild mushrooms also contain toxins. We suggest avoiding corn as it is a common allergen among pets.

great and very sound advice here.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Thanks to Vikinggirl for sharing these tips! When Buttercup first joined our family she wasn't interested in fruits and veggies, but ever since we got a handle on her allergies it seems her sense of smell has improved and she can't get enough! So far she absolutely adores green beans, apples, and black beans(!). Is it ok to leave the peel on the apple? I have been removing it because I wasn't sure if she can digest it. Also, do people give the baby carrots whole or should I shred them? Buttercup's chewing is rather inconsistent, but she does ok with apple chunks.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.