Would my bully hear an intruder?

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Last night I awoke out of a sound sleep with a start thinking I had heard someone trying to break into our house. I realized that everything was ok and that my mind was playing tricks on me, but by that time I was already wide awake with heart pounding adrenaline. Oh how I hate when that happens! It took me forever to relax enough to fall back to sleep. One thing I noticed while I was awake and in and out of bed was that my Archie stayed peacefully asleep on our bed. He seemed to not have a care in the world and that got me thinking. I've read that Bulldogs don't make great watchdogs, but I wondered, would Archie react if there was a disturbance in the house at night or would he sleep right through it? I'm not sure there's a definite answer to this one - I was just curious what others thought about it. ;)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo sleeps deep and typically my pug Lola is the alarm or our Amazon parrot Buddy. Both react first to outside noises first, Canelo reacts to Lola and Buddy. That's my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know the older Buster has gotten the more in tune with odd noises hes become. He'll bark viciously if he hears something not right in the dead of night. We had a Frenchy before and I swear he was the best watchdog ever.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Nope. You could rob everything in the house. They might open one eye but that's about it.

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Last night I awoke out of a sound sleep with a start thinking I had heard someone trying to break into our house. I realized that everything was ok and that my mind was playing tricks on me, but by that time I was already wide awake with heart pounding adrenaline. Oh how I hate when that happens! It took me forever to relax enough to fall back to sleep. One thing I noticed while I was awake and in and out of bed was that my Archie stayed peacefully asleep on our bed. He seemed to not have a care in the world and that got me thinking. I've read that Bulldogs don't make great watchdogs, but I wondered, would Archie react if there was a disturbance in the house at night or would he sleep right through it? I'm not sure there's a definite answer to this one - I was just curious what others thought about it. ;)

my friend once had a white female bulldog (angel) who was as placid as anything and so laid back it was unbelievable., infact we used to laugh & say she'd lick an intruder to death!! I used to dog sit a lot for her when she went on holiday this one time I decided to take her with me in the car to my now husbands house as we pulled up my now hubby came walking straight over to the car and opened the drivers side door and popped his head in at this point angel went ballistic barking like crazy in the passenger seat she''d never met my now hubby before that day and at that point she must of felt the need to protect & warn him she was there once she realised he wasn't a threat she did the typical kisses and cuddles things and there's never been a problem since!!Now I've known this dog since she was 8week old and never before or after had I seen her like that - so to answer your question I think yes he would do, his natural instinct to protect his home & humans would kick in - completely different situation I know but I think he would suprise you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Yep the same here, just a rollover and extra farts in the night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Good question! I've often wondered if intruders would be intimidated by just the appearance of an EB. If you don't know they're harmless, would they give off an imposing presence and deter an intruder?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have had Bulldogs who would sleep through anything. Winnie, however, is really a light sleeper and starts barking at the slightest noise in the night. Jack has been known to steal stuff he can reach off of the counter in the kitchen during the night. Winnie wakes up, jumps out of bed and runs in to share whatever he gets immediately. We don't hear anything. The only way we catch him is Winnie gives him away!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Good question! I've often wondered if intruders would be intimidated by just the appearance of an EB. If you don't know they're harmless, would they give off an imposing presence and deter an intruder?

I had a man that was intimidated by just looking at Canelo. We were traveling and stopped at a gas station. I had Canelo and my nephew out, we were walking Canelo who was smelling everything, totally focused. A man was going to everyone asking for a ride. I told my nephew if the man came over not to say a word. The man looked over at us, and a few seconds later did an about face and never approached. Here is my mental image of Canelo the guard dog, Ferdinand The Bull, lol!

8c2dc7f8174bf1230a2ad8529ce7c297.jpg

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I had a man that was intimidated by just looking at Canelo. We were traveling and stopped at a gas station. I had Canelo and my nephew out, we were walking Canelo who was smelling everything, totally focused. A man was going to everyone asking for a ride. I told my nephew if the man came over not to say a word. The man looked over at us, and a few seconds later did an about face and never approached. Here is my mental image of Canelo the guard dog, Ferdinand The Bull, lol!

LOL, I love it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks heard EVERYTHING.. and would growl until she actually saw something, then she'd take off after it/them. Cheli barks and then takes off now that Banks is not here.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Both Finn and Tate are very good watch dogs, Finn being the more "ferocious" of the two in the barking department. Sometimes as we're falling asleep he will bark like mad over a noise only he heard; at times I used to think maybe we had a ghost or spirits living with us. I think their barking is a great deterrent against intruders but if they were actually confronted with one (God forbid), i really don't think the intruder would be very intimidated b/c those two are quite playful. I just hope the barking would scare the crap out of people in the first place.

Jul 24, 2014
illinos
Bulldog(s) Names
sophia
Sophia barks at any sound that doesnt sound like it should be making that sound at that time. she really is an excellent alarm . I have 4 other dogs who sleep thru anything. If I think I hear something and sophie doesnt bark..then I can be sure that Im just imagining it. shes that good

10646789_10204606465472013_5824662597398337285_n.jpgyes im that good mama

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.