at what age...

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
- When does a male eb typically start sleeping in? Chubbs used to be awake and ready for hubby's morning shift (~6:30am). But for the past 2 weeks, he's been sleeping in until 10ish.

- I know bullies can hold it for however many months old they are but Chubbs seems to be able to hold twice that. For instance, he hasn't been out since after dinner. That was 6.5 hours ago and he's fast asleep, snoring, having puppy dreams. I don't wanna wake a sleeping puppy. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I was wondering if Bella is totally unusual, as she holds it from 8PM to 7AM. She's 16 weeks old.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Nope not unusual. Some bullies can hold it longer than others. At 13 weeks my Harlea was already sleeping through the night from 9pm to 5:30am and not having any accidents at night.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Chubbs is 6 months... correct? Good guideline is Months of age plus 1.. so he can go at least 7 hours, but there are dogs that can just hold it longer than others.

Which i gotta tell ya, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous. :babysleep: I need my sleep! :shout:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No that's not unusual, my guys are on a schedule, but it's my schedule not theirs lol. I take them out at 6:30 am, then feed them, out again at 10:00 am, out again at 3:00pm, they eat at 6:00 pm, go out again around 7:00 because they usually have to go after they eat, and then out for their last walk at 11:00 pm. Blossom always whines when she needs to go out, and she will hear hubby getting ready for work in the morning and start whining, but on the weekends, it is generally later, because hubby sleeps in to about 8:00, and so she will too. We are generally in and out on Saturdays doing errands and grocery shopping and they can hold for 9 or 10 hours. They have been trained since they were 5 months old, and haven't had any accidents in the house. When I was working, they would go out at 6:30 am and I wouldn't be home until 5:00 pm and they held all day, but since I'm home, I take them out more often. If they are sleeping, I won't wake them up though, I'll let them sleep and take them out after they wake up. Every bully is different in how long they can hold their bladder. I don't like to let them hold more than 5 or 6 hours, because I heard it can increase the risk of UTI infections from holding too long, and since I'm home right now, I'm able to let them out more.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Chubbs is 6 months... correct? Good guideline is Months of age plus 1.. so he can go at least 7 hours, but there are dogs that can just hold it longer than others.

Which i gotta tell ya, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous. :babysleep: I need my sleep! :shout:

I feel your pain. In, literally, one night I went from taking Bella out every 2 hours to her holding it through the night. It turns out that when she was waking me every two hours, it was because she wanted to get on the couch with me. Every time she'd wake me up, I'd walk to the front door...then, one day, she stopped following me. I was like, "OK, you're going to hold it then." And she did. :)

Hopefully, Lamby will have a quick turnaround, too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.