Cocking leg,what age ?

Bentley014

Oct 26, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
At what age do male Bulldogs start cocking their leg when taking a pee ? Bentley is nearly 7 months old & still squats when taking a pee. :unsure:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wellie is 17 months old and lifts when he feels like it. Blue is 2 years old and still squats. He only lifts to mark.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Mine will squat sometimes, and other times lift their legs. Depends on what they're marking or what they're in the "mood" to do, i guess! I remember Tate started lifting his leg when he was 6 or 8 months old though. They're both almost 4yo now.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Interestingly enough this is a learned behaviorā€¦ our Winston NEVER lifted his leg, but he was always w/females. My female Roxie will actually go around and "mark" areas because of her boyfriend Charlieā€¦ she would see him do it, and then SHE started doing it to (as a squat). Go figureā€¦ Lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was and is 5, this is the very first year I have EVER seen him lift his leg. I ask our vet years ago why he didn't, our Vet said he was just lazy. I thought he just couldn't. Low and behold this past summer I actually witnessed in the first time ever, him to lift a leg. It was on a new bush my husband had just planted. I witnessed this several times. Now he's right back to squatting.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Interestingly enough this is a learned behaviorā€¦ our Winston NEVER lifted his leg, but he was always w/females. My female Roxie will actually go around and "mark" areas because of her boyfriend Charlieā€¦ she would see him do it, and then SHE started doing it to (as a squat). Go figureā€¦ Lol

is it really? well, then I think Tate must've learned this from Finn b/c i clearly remember that Finn lifted his leg before Tate did, so big brother must've copied the little one.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
is it really? well, then I think Tate must've learned this from Finn b/c i clearly remember that Finn lifted his leg before Tate did, so big brother must've copied the little one.

That is what my friend told me and she has worked w/dogs for years. I just figured all males just KNEW how to do itā€¦ Lol :blink:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I was told by my vet (previous dog--years ago) that if you get your dog neutered early enough, he'll never lift his leg. My neutered Lhasa Apso never lifted his leg.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance did it all on his own at 8 months with out being shown by another dog. I think he is confused because twice I have seen him cock his leg and try to take a dump, both times failing and walking though it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some never do.... both my boys never did/do

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor started lifting his leg when he was five months old or so. Interesting that it should be a learned behaviour - he must have watched the dogs we meet on our walks!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.