leaving them at the groomers

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm not sure how much i acutually shared about Bullet and that i've only had him going on 4 weeks now, but i scheduled him a grooming visit at a petsmart that is half hour away from us since we were going to be in that area picking something up for hubby.

i called and made the appointment and got him there on time. figuring while he was being groomed i would shop around for a few things he NEEDED (ok, not needed but i wanted for him, hehe) and i also liked that i could see him being groomed as they have glass windows. i go to sign him in and ask the girl about how long his bath will take. she says up to 4 hours. :confused: i actually wasn't sure i heard her right so i did a "say what?" remark and she again said 4 hours. i was in a little shock. i didn't think to ask when i called in to set the appointment as i assumed it would be done at that time. can you tell i've never been to a petsmart groomer?!? lol needless to say, i was torn and ended up not leaving him. honestly, i felt like i was leaving my young child at a place i've rarely been and my gut just told me not to do it. on my way home i kept thinking "am i being a dork? don't people do this all the time? etc...".

i know he has been to a petsmart groomer before because the previous owner took him there. i mainly did this so he had something consistant right now. we have a small town local groomer where i live and she LOVES animals, i just don't think she has dealt with bulldogs so i just thought...this one time....i would take him to petsmart. not that i think my local groomer would do anything wrong really...i don't know, i feel like a heel now as i like to keep my money local and i was taking him out of town to do this.

i find myself trying very hard to handle him right and i don't think i need to be this crazy. :crazy: blah. lol

do many of you drop your bully off for several hours to be groomed? :confused:
lake n bullet.jpg
{my son, Lake & Bullet}

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I've never had Bear groomed and won't really unless he is in the kennel if/when we go on vacations. I have my dogs bathed the day I pick them up in that case.

I must say Lake and Bullet are super adorable. I love Bullet's colors!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
First of all What a fantastic picture of Lake and Bullet, very cute!! I only use Petsmart to do his nails because I like them dremmeled after being cut so they are nice and smooth he HATES to get his nails done and battles with them, but it only takes about 15 minutes. I bathe him and clean his ears here at home. I have a fantastic shampoo from the vet as well as a good ear cleaner from the vet. I would not worry about being consistant with Petsmart, his whole world has changed over the last 4 weeks and he is yours now. (lucky for both of you!!) I would go with what you want, not what he used to have.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I wouldnt be wanting to leave my boys at petsmart either, dont feel bad. I prefer to bathe my boys myself also since I have found that the money isnt worth it with my boys being fairly easy and all. Plus my baby shampoo and pantene conditioner make them smell better longer than the puppy stuff the groomers use. I have been tempted to use petsmart for their nails but havent even gotten that far yet. I get anxious if the vet takes them back without me, so I am an over paranoid mama like you. :) I agree do what you want, he is your baby now. And a VERY adorable one at that! I LOVE that pic!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I was throwing a baby shower and dropped my boys off at Petsmart for a spa day. It was the only time I had them groomed. They did great and came back looking and smelling good and I didn't have two big bullies running around the house for a couple hours. It was a win/win!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Love the pic! Two very handsome boys! I like Petsmart grooming. I've only used it for Arrow. He's too big and hairy to bathe in cold weather. In the summer we bathe him in the driveway, and the girls are always bathed at home. Maybe it would be quicker if you went on a week-day. They seem to be really busy on Sat. here.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I started leaving Bertie with my Cocker Spaniel at the groomers a few months ago. Dexter my cocker, loves the groomers and I figured it would be good for Bertie to be socialized with other people. She loves going there now! Dexter doesn't seem too happy about it, as it was his place to go and have everyone love on him...now he has to share the attention. I usually drop them off at 10:30 or 11am and pick them up at about 3:30pm. They are usually the last ones done, and then the groomer just lets them run around loose in the shop and play till I get there. I thought about Petco and Petsmart grooming, but it was almost double the price. They really love the groomer I go to, and I can leave a bigger tip cause its reasonably priced. I pay $45 to have my cocker washed, trimmed and dried and Bertie gets washed and dried and they both get their nails done too! They love this groomer and I feel why go somewhere else...I have had monthly appoints there since my cocker was a baby and he is going on 3 years old. We have a standing appointment for both now.

Last edited:
OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
I was throwing a baby shower and dropped my boys off at Petsmart for a spa day. It was the only time I had them groomed. They did great and came back looking and smelling good and I didn't have two big bullies running around the house for a couple hours. It was a win/win!

i don't blame you, sounds like a good solution. i think maybe i am just having bully withdraws as i haven't had him long and he has basically been by my side 24/7. i think i've ran to the grocery 3 times since i've had him and i find myself hurrying...even though he is home safe with the rest of the family. lol

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm sure i was over reacting a smidge. lol his new-ness maybe has me being more cautious right now. i will most likely take him to my local groomer who lives just a few blocks away or do it myself. i've often bathed my chocolate lab but then again he doesn't drink his bath water. Bullet's previous owner said he would gulp up his bath water and that he LOVES to play in the water. i invision a big wet mess. lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1717]Momma2Bullet[/MENTION], you invision a big wet mess???? Well I will tell you from my OWN experience your visions are correct!! I lay down about 4 old towels on my bathroom tiled floor, he does drink the water which I thought was gross, so I let a small steady stream come out of the spicket and he does just drink that now, after he shakes several times sending water all over the bathroom and myself, I get him out and it takes two more towels to dry him again while shaking his body, it is a total mess, but still worth it for me to do since he is on a special shampoo. My bathroom has to be scrubed from top to bottom, but I made a deal with my hubby who Hates to bathe Vegas and Vegas hates him to do it. I do it and it KILLS my back, but then hubby has to clean the tub, wipe everything down, and mop the bathroom when I am done. In the summer when it is about 110* here I will bathe him out on our concrete driveway with the water hose, That is the kind of bath I like giving! And Vegas looooves the hose.

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
[MENTION=1717]Momma2Bullet[/MENTION], you invision a big wet mess???? Well I will tell you from my OWN experience your visions are correct!! I lay down about 4 old towels on my bathroom tiled floor, he does drink the water which I thought was gross, so I let a small steady stream come out of the spicket and he does just drink that now, after he shakes several times sending water all over the bathroom and myself, I get him out and it takes two more towels to dry him again while shaking his body, it is a total mess, but still worth it for me to do since he is on a special shampoo. My bathroom has to be scrubed from top to bottom, but I made a deal with my hubby who Hates to bathe Vegas and Vegas hates him to do it. I do it and it KILLS my back, but then hubby has to clean the tub, wipe everything down, and mop the bathroom when I am done. In the summer when it is about 110* here I will bathe him out on our concrete driveway with the water hose, That is the kind of bath I like giving! And Vegas looooves the hose.

wow, my back hurts for you. lol i will atleast be a little prepared when i attempt it for myself in the next day or two. :crazy:

Most Reactions