danton

Jan 22, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello all.

A little backround about my bully. I adopted/rehomed him when he was 9 months, he is now 1 year 3 months. I've enjoyed all of our time together and he really is a kind hearted dog.

Before I adopted Duke he was kept in a garage with A/C 24/7. Throughout the day he was tied to 30lb dumbells to keep him within a certain area. Duke started to gain strength and was able to move the 30lbs, then it went to 60, and finally 90, this is what I was told when I first met Duke and his owner. Once I learned about this I had to take him home with me that day, he deserved better. Due to his old owners dumbbell torture you can imagine he is quite a beast, and doesn't know his own power. This is an issue because he is still acting like a puppy, i.e jumping on guests, especially my 80 year old grandmother. I've tried the back turning technique, treat technique and everything in between, seems like nothing works. He is very stubborn, I believe this is due to the lack of training he had when he was a puppy. Now Duke has never shown aggression towards anyone or anything, he is a very kind hearted dog.

I had the last straw last week when we were outside and he ran out of the gate my friend had left open. I gave Duke a command to sit and he looked back at me, paused, and ran down the street about half a mile until he saw a jogger who was kind enough to grab him for me.

I've decided to give a vibrating collar a shot since my mother had used this on our old cocker spaniel. I received the collar yesterday and so far have only used it once for when he would not come in the house, one short vibration and he was running towards the door.

Does anyone have any experience or advice for using these collars? I've read many articles, but figured I would come here as well. Now for everyone saying I should look into a trainer, I've already done this and had minimal results.

I've attached a photo of the little guy as well. duke.jpg

Thanks in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: thank you so much for saving him from that horrid life! I have 9 yrs experience with the collar and believe they have a place and time if used correctly they are an excellent training tool. we got to a point that all we had to do was have the collar on her not even turned on and she listened to every command.

Although he is older, he is still trainable and will come around -- it is just going to take longer for him to settle in to the new boss.

what questions do you have -- I'd be happy to help

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank-you for rescuing your boy Duke. I'm not familiar with the vibrating collar; are these the same as a shock collar? I am one who would suggest a trainer vs. something mechanical/electronic to get our dogs to do what we ask, and sounds like you've tried but maybe you didn't find the right one? Lots of times, unfortunately, it takes a few trainers to find the right match. Maybe some friends or family can help with a referral, or your vet or groomer may know.

OP
D

danton

Jan 22, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Thank-you for rescuing your boy Duke. I'm not familiar with the vibrating collar; are these the same as a shock collar? I am one who would suggest a trainer vs. something mechanical/electronic to get our dogs to do what we ask, and sounds like you've tried but maybe you didn't find the right one? Lots of times, unfortunately, it takes a few trainers to find the right match. Maybe some friends or family can help with a referral, or your vet or groomer may know.

It's quite different from a "shock" collar as it does not cause any hard to the animal. All it does is briefly vibrate, just like a phone would.

OP
D

danton

Jan 22, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello and :welcome3: thank you so much for saving him from that horrid life! I have 9 yrs experience with the collar and believe they have a place and time if used correctly they are an excellent training tool. we got to a point that all we had to do was have the collar on her not even turned on and she listened to every command.

Although he is older, he is still trainable and will come around -- it is just going to take longer for him to settle in to the new boss.

what questions do you have -- I'd be happy to help

I've read two separate theories on this.. One says that your not suppose to talk or say any commands when you use the vibrating collar. The other would use the collar with a command, such as NO, or bad etc etc. What's your take on this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've read two separate theories on this.. One says that your not suppose to talk or say any commands when you use the vibrating collar. The other would use the collar with a command, such as NO, or bad etc etc. What's your take on this?

We started out with no commands, then added them after while... just do not use their name with the correction. always even without a collar just say the command without the name as you do not want them associating their name in a negative situation

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm so glad he lives with you and isn't tied up in a garage anymore! I don't have any experience with a vibrating collar. The only thing I would say is that he is still quite young. I think Ruckus has really started to listen better after the year and a half mark, maybe even a few months later. My dog is also very treat motivated so I always carry them. I have a similar situation with the jumping, but not as bad. I try to keep a harness on Ruckus if he jumps too much. He has head butted strangers on the face, hard, by accident when they mean over to let him. He just wants hugs and kisses and doesn't know his own weight. I think Duke just needs consistency. Firmly tell him no jump, make him sit and reward him. Also maybe think of getting a trainer for a few sessions? I'm just not a mechanical solution person, but it probably won't cause harm if it isn't a shock collar, I just wouldn't want to scare him since he's still really just a big pup.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
:smileywelcome:
How could someone do that to a dog? Thank you for rescuing him. You've already gotten great advice so what I say probably won't help, either way... I'm not much of a shock/e-collar type owner. I prefer exhausting the trainers and behaviorists, but we probably won't be able to do that since we don't have deep pockets. On another note, we're going thru something with Chubbs and I've changed my mind about the collar. Using the collar is definitely a 50-50 thing on here.

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
You're a saint for taking the dog!! We use that collar, we hired 4 trainers. The last trainer advised us to get the collar and trained us on how to use it. We only use it when people are coming over. Tucker is almost 2 and has bitten people before in all the excitement, we even had to go to court. The last trainer knew if he bit another person he'd probably be put down. So she taught us how to bring his excitement level down, esp if the collar is on. I had a very hard time with the whole idea, but didn't like the other option. We can just put the collar on and he will behave. We've had 20 people over and with voice command and treats he is a good boy. But we constantly have to keep our eye on him. I walk Tucker a lot too, to get some of his energy out... But sometimes I feel he's more hyper after the walk. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I'm a firm believer in shock collars. I used one on Weesie when we first got married. She only wore it for five years but now fully trained.
No on the shock collar. Duke will come around. The boys are 10 months old. Anything new scares them. We can put a box on the bar and they freak out. I just about believe if you put in your time with him he will come around. Stick with him.
PS he is a cutie.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I'm a firm believer in shock collars. I used one on Weesie when we first got married. She only wore it for five years but now fully trained.
No on the shock collar. Duke will come around. The boys are 10 months old. Anything new scares them. We can put a box on the bar and they freak out. I just about believe if you put in your time with him he will come around. Stick with him.
PS he is a cutie.

hahahaha you crack me up!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I have no experience with the collar but I do have a cousin that trains pitbull to pull weight and its approved competition. His pits look like Hanz and Franz, very muscular and they are very energetic. Just a thought, research competition weight pulling and see if there are any activities suggested that you could use with Duke for his level of energy? Also we took Canelo to a training class to teach him the basics. I loved working with his trainer, I learned so much watching her and learning how she got different dogs to focus. Have you thought about a training class?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.