Picky eater maybe?????

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Every day with Ruby lately is a constant battle to get her to eat we switched her food to wainwrights dry as she'd taken a disliking to her old food (which I wasn't entirely bothered about as I was wanting to change her to a different brand) at first she scoffed the biscuits down then one morning she we put her breakfast down and she turned her nose up at it although ate her lunch & tea same again the next day, then one day she'd just eat her lunch so I decided to to try her with abit of wet food on top same thing happened again, then I thought maybe she's gone off the biscuits all together and tried her on just wet food which is where we are now yesterday she ate the wet food breakfast,dinner & tea now this morning she sniffed it and walked away, I've tried changing flavours it works for a while then she's not intressed. Again ......any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would add some warm water to the kibble to see if that peaks her interest… Also I don't free feed. My dogs eat twice a day (between 530-630 am and 5pm at night) they know if they don't eat it up in about 10 min besides treats that is all they are getting for the day. Needless to say every single bite is scarfed down… Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
An old country vet I worked for years ago used to tell me, that if the dogs are not sick-and all is well-they would not starve themselves to death. He said to put the food down-give them 10/15 minutes to eat,if they don't eat, pick it up. He said when they get hungry enough, they'll eat. He was rough=edged, but he was usually right!

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] @ddnene - we do have set meal times with but I've got to admit we don't tend to take it up we do leave it down for a couple of hours if she doesn't eat it - ive tried wetting her kibble but she won't entertain it wet. I think maybe she's been abit to spoilt

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Wow, what's that like?? Bella eats everything....EVERYTHING!

I hope you can find out what's up. I think if I left an unmeasured/unlimited amount of food down for Bella, she'd eat herself into unconsiousness.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Wow, what's that like?? Bella eats everything....EVERYTHING!

I hope you can find out what's up. I think if I left an unmeasured/unlimited amount of food down for Bella, she'd eat herself into unconsiousness.

Haha thanks Cali dol sounds like Bella luv's her food lol -Ruby used to be a great eater too it's only when she hit 8months she's become picky it's so so frustrating - I know she's being pick cause the hubby just put ham in her tea and she picked out the ham and left her dog food

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I agree with what everyone else has said. If she is 8 months old, maybe she only needs to eat twice a day. I feed Winnie and Jack when we get up in the morning and between 5:00 and 6:00 in the evening. I agree that you should take up her food when she doesn't eat it all in 10 minutes. Maybe she could be holding out for more ham!:yes: Winnie is 7 months old and she's been eating only twice a day for several months now. She really scarfs down her food in a minute and would eat until she popped if she didn't run out of food. This is just me, but I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of trying to get her to eat. You know how parents can get into a power struggle with their kids over trying to get them to eat? Well, this may be way out sounding, but I can see a bully doing a variation of the same thing! Like I said, that's just me, but it's food for thought.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ruby seems to be just eating to her hunger cues, which is a good thing. I wouldn't worry too much about it either, unless of course she begins losing weight or isn't putting on wt. as she grows.
Something I do is put a little extra "topper" on the boys' kibble; i rotate around so it can be anything from a spoonful of canned mackerel, to ground beef, to chicken livers. Just a little bit and then I stir a little warm water and stir it all up so the flavors distribute. Also, i will occasionally sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top. Tate is not picky at all but Finn can be so these little toppers have helped him enjoy his food more.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I agree with what everyone else has said. If she is 8 months old, maybe she only needs to eat twice a day. I feed Winnie and Jack when we get up in the morning and between 5:00 and 6:00 in the evening. I agree that you should take up her food when she doesn't eat it all in 10 minutes. Maybe she could be holding out for more ham!:yes: Winnie is 7 months old and she's been eating only twice a day for several months now.

Once again, we're on the same page. Bella is eating 2 meals a day (with snacks between) right now at 4 mos old. Her breeder said it's OK.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I agree with what everyone else has said. If she is 8 months old, maybe she only needs to eat twice a day. I feed Winnie and Jack when we get up in the morning and between 5:00 and 6:00 in the evening. I agree that you should take up her food when she doesn't eat it all in 10 minutes. Maybe she could be holding out for more ham!:yes: Winnie is 7 months old and she's been eating only twice a day for several months now. She really scarfs down her food in a minute and would eat until she popped if she didn't run out of food. This is just me, but I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of trying to get her to eat. You know how parents can get into a power struggle with their kids over trying to get them to eat? Well, this may be way out sounding, but I can see a bully doing a variation of the same thing! Like I said, that's just me, but it's food for thought.[/

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks for the advice guys - will give the lifting food thing a try, I've never had to do this with my other dogs they would eat a whole bag of food in one sitting if I let them all picky eating is new to me I've always had greedy dogs that would scoff there food down in the blink of an eye :-)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advice guys - will give the lifting food thing a try, I've never had to do this with my other dogs they would eat a whole bag of food in one sitting if I let them all picky eating is new to me I've always had greedy dogs that would scoff there food down in the blink of an eye :-)

Our girl Banks would eat everything and anything within seconds.. her whole 9 yrs of life she was like that, but our boy -- good lord at times I would pull my hair out trying to get him to eat. This was all pre-EBN so I was on my own trying to get it to work,, I did all the tricks, water, take it up, hand feeding,,, etc. Then our vet said, he just isn't hungry... stick to your schedule give him 15-20 mins to eat, if he doesn't then feed him on the next schedule... dogs will not starve themselves. That worked.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Our girl Banks would eat everything and anything within seconds.. her whole 9 yrs of life she was like that, but our boy -- good lord at times I would pull my hair out trying to get him to eat. This was all pre-EBN so I was on my own trying to get it to work,, I did all the tricks, water, take it up, hand feeding,,, etc. Then our vet said, he just isn't hungry... stick to your schedule give him 15-20 mins to eat, if he doesn't then feed him on the next schedule... dogs will not starve themselves. That worked.

2bullymama I can't tell you how frustrated I've been lately trying to get her to eat, I have tried hand feeding, water, toppers, both dry & wet foods not intressed we do have set meal times for her but I've got to admit we don't take it up after 20minutes if she doesn't eat it we tend to leave it down for quite a while...did feeding on the next schedule work with your boy?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
2bullymama I can't tell you how frustrated I've been lately trying to get her to eat, I have tried hand feeding, water, toppers, both dry & wet foods not intressed we do have set meal times for her but I've got to admit we don't take it up after 20minutes if she doesn't eat it we tend to leave it down for quite a while...did feeding on the next schedule work with your boy?

yes.. it was usually breakfast that he did not want... when dinner time hit, he would eat

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
yes.. it was usually breakfast that he did not want... when dinner time hit, he would eat

Thank-you il give it a try - you worry about them not eating don't - did you give him more at lunch time to compensate for him not eating at breakfast?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online