How many trainers?

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
On average, how many have you taken your baby(ies) to a trainer/behaviorist for something?

Currently we're just finishing puppy class at petsmart. Most of you know Chubbs has RG and I've somehow been able to record it. A petsmart employee who works about 45 minutes away has declared Chubbs a red zone case and wants to work with us. She would come to our home and the fee begins when she arrives. $100/hour. The style of training 'that is to be determined. *I will have to meet Chubbs and observe him to decide the best path to take.' The price kinda seems reasonable, especially since she's coming to us. Just in case she doesn't work out, I've applied to who people say is 'the best' local trainer. He offers a free first evaluation. According to his site, he has 15+ years experience with dogs deemed as dangerous.

So, if you don't mind sharing or sending me a pm with a ballpark price of your trainers ie. $50-100, $100-200, less than x but more than y, etc. Just very curious what is reasonable. If not, perfectly understandable. [emoji3]

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We've done one puppy class that was 700 plus it's required a private lesson first which was another 200.

Then we had a trainer from the Andrea Arden. Bought the 3 lesson package for 425. Otherwise, it would of been 150 per hour after the initial consultation of 175.

The person we're using now charged 1,500 for 12 lessons. But, it's a lifetime contract. Meaning he's there for current behavioral issues, and any future problems should they arise. Sounded good in theory, in practice though, no idea how it would work.
I kinda regret doing it now.

I would ask for two things (from the person from Petsmart)- what kind of training does she have, and references from her private clients.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have used PetSmart in the past for training… we live out in the boonies. I found a great trainer actually thru FB, and for the puppy classes she charged us $120 for one hour classes lasting 6 weeks. She does offer private training, which I think I'm going to need to address some of Wally's issues… I'm just waiting till he turns a year old. I would say go on social media and get feedback from people that have used a trainer… Leah gets dogs from the shelter and trains them to be PTSD dogs for soldiers here in our area. She's been working w/dogs for over 20 years so she has a LOT of experience…

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Well, without knowing how Chubbs is or what RG is, declaring a pup "red zone" sounds odd to me.
We've been to puppy, obedient and different fun & games classes in one training center and the prices were maybe about 80 dollars per course, 5x1 hour. I may have to move to the states and become a trainer...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well, without knowing how Chubbs is or what RG is, declaring a pup "red zone" sounds odd to me.
We've been to puppy, obedient and different fun & games classes in one training center and the prices were maybe about 80 dollars per course, 5x1 hour. I may have to move to the states and become a trainer...

Holy COW… if you do bring the boys and come to TN!!! Wally can be your first client… LOL :w00t:

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Wow the rates of trainers there are astounding! And here i am thinking 10 Euro per hour is expensive (11.55$)! Here you pay about 150-300 Euro (173-364 $)a month for obedience schools. And pay about 15-35 Euro (17-40$) per hour if you want a private trainer. There's even an obedience school here for 35 Euro a month and you can go as often as you need or want to. And 25 per visit if you don't want to pay the monthly rate. Training dogs there is a very lucrative business!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Holy COW… if you do bring the boys and come to TN!!! Wally can be your first client… LOL :w00t:

no no no!! NY first!! lol (Blue still has toy aggression that turned into bed aggression. But we nipped the bed aggression in the arse fast!)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

If you did, you'd make a ton of money here. Dog training seems to be a huge moneymaker for many people these days.
Even dog walkers charge $20 for a half hour walk here. You see them out with 3 dogs at a time. I'm starting to consider it!

Last edited:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@nycbullymama what do you mean by bed aggression?

Our bullies are only allowed on the bed when we're on it (they sleep with us). Well Blue decided the bed was his and he would lay on it whenever he wanted. Trying to get him off lead to growling and nipping. He longer does it, and he knows what "down" means. But it's an ongoing battle with him. He loves to test us.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] thanks..was just curious bc I've been having some behavior issues with my boys and the bed..they sleep with me also but there have been some jealousy issues over who is in what spot and they will start fighting in the bed..mostly my younger boy wants to be closer to me and will attack the older one for his spot..also about a week age he climbed up and peed on the bed for no reason when I was laying in bed with fatso..I was furious but he doesn't show aggression ever in any other way..he's very gentle

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@nycbullymama thanks..was just curious bc I've been having some behavior issues with my boys and the bed..they sleep with me also but there have been some jealousy issues over who is in what spot and they will start fighting in the bed..mostly my younger boy wants to be closer to me and will attack the older one for his spot..also about a week age he climbed up and peed on the bed for no reason when I was laying in bed with fatso..I was furious but he doesn't show aggression ever in any other way..he's very gentle

Blue sleeps leaned up against me too. He gets very upset if Wellie gets to "his" spot first and tries to push his way in. To avoid this, I just roll Wellie away. He doesn't care so it's a none-issue for us. If they fought over a spot, I would just kick them both off the bed. They'll learn very fast that fights lead to no bed at all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Now mind you this was 9 yrs ago, but with Banks we did the 'Petsmart' classes with her and then we sent her to boot camp for a week which was $500.00. Then we did the in home with vibration collar that was another 150$ plus $200.00 for the collar, but included as much follow up sessions as needed till we were comfortable with the collar and how/when to use it. over all, it was a full year of training and $$$ to get Banks in line and listensing to our commands... she was a tough nut to crack! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.