longer or shorter walks?

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
During the colder weather what's better: longer, fewer walks or more, shorter walks?

The only thing that makes Chubbs tired is playing with his uncles (2 golden retrievers.)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, generally most bullies are very sensitive or intolerant to severe temperatures hot or cold, but having said that every bully is different in what and how much exercise they can tolerate and how much stamina they have. I have two EB's, one male and one female, my male does not do well in the heat or the extreme cold temperatures, and he doesn't like to walk very much. He mostly likes to go for his potty breaks and then runs back towards the house. When we try and go for longer walks with him, meaning a 15 min walk, he will flop or lay down, put all 4 legs to the sides and will literally refuse to walk any further. My female is the opposite, she loves to walk and loves to go on long walks, she would walk for an hour if we let her, but we don't. Bullies definetely don't do well when it is hot or humid, and they shouldn't go on long walks during the day when the sun is at it's hottest. They should be walked early in the mornings and in the evenings when it is cooler, and only for about 15 mins. During the day when its hot, they should only go out for a potty break, and then right back inside to the air conditioning. Also a bully should never be left outside unattended on a warm day, and not for long periods even when you are with them. They can become overheated very quickly.

In the winter when it is cold outside, the same rules should be followed. Although they won't overheat in the cold, they can get hyperthermia, and the extreme cold of the snow can cause pain to their paws, and even frostbite. It's best to take them on more frequent walks for shorter durations. Golden Retreivers are a bigger dog, with a thicker coat, and they are breed for being outside, they can tolerate being out in the cold, and they can exercise for long periods of time, they actually thrive on running and playing hard. Bullies aren't built for this, and because of their breathing problems, they don't do well with extreme temperatures, long walks, or playing hard for too long.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] thx! We don't know what Chubbs will be like in the summer since we got him this past September. He seems to love the snow, 'prancing' around, haha. Whenever we go on walks, it's like he's in charge (I'm working on the training.) There's one apartment building that takes awhile to pass. He's like your boy, puts on the brakes.
Another time Chubbs puts the breaks on is when we're leaving the house. He does not like going down stairs, at all.

As for the Goldens, the 10 year old doesn't exactly play. He's more of a lazy bully, lol. The 6 y.o. on the other hand, likes to play with Chubbs. And he has absolutely no problem letting Chubbs know when he's being annoying.

Hubby & I thought Chubbs didn't need longer walks (since we did our research) but because of his energy, people have told us he does need them. Idk. [emoji53]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Like I said, every bully is different, and if Chubbs likes to walk and play hard, and he has the energy, he may be able to tolerate it. You can take him to the park, let him run and play, but supervise and watch him closely. Start with 10 or 15 minutes, supervise him, and watch him closely to see if he seems overtired, if he's panting or breathing hard, and stop him if he shows any of these signs. If he's okay let him play for another 5 minutes and then stop him. Even if he isn't showing any signs, 15 to 20 minutes should be the maximum he's outside in the cold, as he could become too cold, get hyperthermia, he may sweat too much from playing and then get cold, or he may get wet from the snow and get cold, which may cause him to get sick, or his paws may get too cold or irritated from the cold and he could frost bite on his paws as well.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] thx again. Here he is just standing in the snow, such a weirdo haha.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421911234923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421911234923.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 99

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I walk my boy for about an hour to three hours in one round, since the weather got cold. His walks would entirely depend on my mood; is it too cold for me? is too wet? am i in the mood to walk 3-6 km in one round? am i in the mood to put on layers of clothing and walk for hours? etc. It's up to me because Bifi can walk for hours in winter and not get tired at all. After our walks, be it long or short, we play fetch or give him his yoga ball if i want to tire him quickly :). If i don't tire him outside i won't get to do anything in the house lol.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
We're the same way (mood, too cold, layers)! What's a yoga ball? Do you mean an actual yoga ball people use?
I walk my boy for about an hour to three hours in one round, since the weather got cold. His walks would entirely depend on my mood; is it too cold for me? is too wet? am i in the mood to walk 3-6 km in one round? am i in the mood to put on layers of clothing and walk for hours? etc. It's up to me because Bifi can walk for hours in winter and not get tired at all. After our walks, be it long or short, we play fetch or give him his yoga ball if i want to tire him quickly :). If i don't tire him outside i won't get to do anything in the house lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
luckily, we have a 3/4 arce fenced in yard so walks are few and far between for us

Most Reactions