Is My Bulldog Bored ? How to get him to play .....

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My Bulldog, Maximus, appears bored these days. He's 4-years old, and just sits around staring off into space when he's not sleeping. I'm worried that he is bored and may need some incentive to play. I don't know what type of toys to get him. The toys he has he doesn't play with, not even his big Nylabone.
He looks so sad sometimes, I'm really worried about him. Any suggestions ... ? Thanks.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Does Maximus like to play with balls? most bullies i know love balls! Does he like to run around? lately, I've been playing hide and seek w/my two. Usually I will take one of the toys they like and run away from them, hide in another room, in a closet, under the bed, etc...and then call their name out. They'll come running in, all excited wondering where i am, then i jump out. It's really not as corny as i make it sound (well, okay, maybe it is). We do this maybe 3-4 times at night and it tires them out.

Another suggestion is to take Maximus out for a drive somewhere different to combat boredom. If the weather's not too bad, take him for a walk in this place. Even the drive is good for our bullies--stimulates the mind with all the sights and sounds. Those are just some thoughts!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
My Bulldog, Maximus, appears bored these days. He's 4-years old, and just sits around staring off into space when he's not sleeping. I'm worried that he is bored and may need some incentive to play. I don't know what type of toys to get him. The toys he has he doesn't play with, not even his big Nylabone.
He looks so sad sometimes, I'm really worried about him. Any suggestions ... ? Thanks.

Give him a change of scenery, ie, a drive to a pet friendly store, Petsmart/Petco where he will meet dog friendly people who are always anxious to greet bulldogs. I think Maximus will enjoy the attention. Good Luck.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Did he like to play before? Provided he's ok and not in pain, perhaps he'll like a game Castor enjoys: I will show a toy to him, then tell him to sit and stay, while I will go into another room and 'hide' it (not advanced, just place it on the floor in another room). Then I'll go back to him, and tell him to look for the toy. It always works even if Castor is not particularly interested in the toy in itself.

Castor used to have nylabones for indoor play and we have a frisbee and a jollyball for outdoors play. Recently, we've got him a few stuffed toys with squeakers, and he goes wild when we bring them out. As they are not available at all times, they are very interesting!

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Does Maximus like to play with balls? most bullies i know love balls! Does he like to run around? lately, I've been playing hide and seek w/my two. Usually I will take one of the toys they like and run away from them, hide in another room, in a closet, under the bed, etc...and then call their name out. They'll come running in, all excited wondering where i am, then i jump out. It's really not as corny as i make it sound (well, okay, maybe it is). We do this maybe 3-4 times at night and it tires them out.

Another suggestion is to take Maximus out for a drive somewhere different to combat boredom. If the weather's not too bad, take him for a walk in this place. Even the drive is good for our bullies--stimulates the mind with all the sights and sounds. Those are just some thoughts!
That sounds like fun, even for us... haha.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Henny on the hide and seek...

Also I would suggest getting a variety of different toys… Wally loves his varsity ball, tug-of-war toys and stuffies… I also bought some of the those puzzle toys. Even my boxer Roxie (she's 10 years young… Lol) gets excited over these. I will post some links for you...
The Varsity Ball -- Large Dog Toys Big Dog Toys Indestructible Dog Toy Tough Dog Toys
Dog Puzzle Toys for Sale Online | PetSolutions

I got my dogs the star one (green/yellow) and they LOVE that thing… Lol

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I agree w/Henny on the hide and seek...

Also I would suggest getting a variety of different toys… Wally loves his varsity ball, tug-of-war toys and stuffies… I also bought some of the those puzzle toys. Even my boxer Roxie (she's 10 years young… Lol) gets excited over these. I will post some links for you...
The Varsity Ball -- Large Dog Toys Big Dog Toys Indestructible Dog Toy Tough Dog Toys
Dog Puzzle Toys for Sale Online | PetSolutions

I got my dogs the star one (green/yellow) and they LOVE that thing… Lol

I'm curious... does your EB play with the standard Varsity Ball or the Junior Varsity Ball?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.