Very smelly tail on my bulldog pup

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
I had to take my pup to the vets to day as he kept itching his bottom. I then found out he has a very infected pocket above his anus. It's very deep and very smelly. Iv been given creams and wipes to use for 7days. I'm just wondering if it does not clear what would they do. I'm all new to it all and have found out he has a very tight corkscrew tail. Is there anything that can be done for these. :pray:

WifeofPA

May 26, 2014
Spokane WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
Clean, clean, and clean and when you think it's clean enough do it one more time. This is a common issue with EB's and requires constant attention. If infections are persistent and unable to be resolved many owners look into tail amputation for the health and comfort of their fur babies. There is a lot of helpful info in the forums regarding tail pocket care. All my best to you and Hugo :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie also has a tail pocket that needs attention and a really tight screw tail. She's my 4th bulldog and I'd never even heard of a tail pocket, so obviously my others didn't have one! Winnie didn't get an infection, but her bottom was smelly when I took her in for her checkup. I have been using Malacetic Wet Wipes to clean her tail pocket twice a day. Then I put a little A+D Diaper Rash Cream (for treatment, not the ointment for prevention) in a syringe and squirt it up into the pocket after I clean it. The vet recommended the A+D over Desitin because it is more drying. She said I should but stock in that company:ohmy:. At first I was really dismayed at having to do this every day, especially because Winnie screamed like I was trying to kill her every time. Her tail is very tight and it's hard to get in there to wipe. But I started giving her little treats of cheese before and after the wipe, and before and after the squirt of A+D. Now that she is used to it, she doesn't even fuss at all! I have realized that Winnie is a big drama queen--she also screams bloody murder when she gets her nails trimmed and I know she's not being hurt.

I've been cleaning her tail pocket twice a day every day for a month and have had no further problems. And it gets to be routine and is not as bad as I thought it would be. It is, in fact, a thing to look forward to in our day. If we haven't "wiped Winnie's bottom" by 8:00 p.m., my other dog Jack comes to remind me. He likes to "help" because he gets cheese too!

I know people here have had tails removed successfully. My vet says it is a big surgery and should only be done as a last resort because it can be risky. There's a lot of good information on this site about tail pockets. Good luck!
(chewy.com carries the wipes I use at the cheapest price I have found--about $17 for 100 wipes)

OP
N

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you so much for your help I'm all new to it all. Me and my partner had a bulldog pup before but sadly lost my beautiful boy. Then we got Hugo so I'm very protective of Hugo. at 5months old he had to have eye surgery and now this with his tail is having me panic something wrong with my boy.hes my everything and where I'm from bulldog are very rare and not seen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is common and cleaning is so very important.... once, sometimes twice a day. Others, unfortunately,had to have the tail removed to eliminate the problem.

hope he feels better real soon

OP
N

Nadine27

Jan 19, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
We are cleaning twice a day with wipes from the vets and cream. We have got to go back in 10days to see how it's getting on. If it's not getting better the vet has told me we have to look at a few options

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.