Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So, a couple of things about Bella:

She walks now! It looks like my pup will be a walking partner. When I first got Bella, she would only walk far enough to pee/poop. I'd have to carry her away from home so that she would walk back home. Crazy! Then, I got her to walk more and walk politely...but, she would go ballistic when she saw a person or dog. **Pull, pull, pull, cough, choke** The Petsmart trainer advised me to get the Easy Walk harness. Best. Buy. Ever! Bella walks much better. She still pulls for people and dogs, but there's no more choking and she's more controllable. Today we went for a very long walk and she even jogged with me a little! I almost cried. She was like the perfect dog.

Since my "My dog is a genius" thread, Bella has had four potty accidents in the house and I can link each accident back to something. (She pooped after I gave her yogurt for the first time--no more yogurt; she peed on her dog bed, which she has done in the past--no more doggie bed; she peed on the thick/plush mat in front of the basement door--it's too grass-like...no more access to the mat; she peed on the floor after I give her late-night water--no more late-night water.)

I've traded biting for licks. Bella still bites, but I think she bites less. And I've noticed she often stops herself from biting and she'll lick me instead. It's so sweet! I call it "kisses". I can deal with excessive licking if that means I don't have to be bitten every day. Also, she's getting some big girl teeth! Just now, she sat on the floor next to me and she let me pet her without her biting me or the couch.

I'm learning; she's learning. We're doing good. :D If you've read this long post, THANK YOU!!!! (Enclosed is a post-walk SleepyBella.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 165

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Your post made my morning because I knew how frustrated you were. It sounds like you and Bella are doing great! I empathize with you because Bella sounds just like Winnie behavior-wise. Winnie continues to get better every day too. We're now working on calming down at bedtime so we can go to sleep, instead of zooming around the house like a crazy dog. She's done very well the last 3 nights! Keep up the good work with Bella and keep us posted!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Your post made my morning because I knew how frustrated you were. It sounds like you and Bella are doing great! I empathize with you because Bella sounds just like Winnie behavior-wise. Winnie continues to get better every day too. We're now working on calming down at bedtime so we can go to sleep, instead of zooming around the house like a crazy dog. She's done very well the last 3 nights! Keep up the good work with Bella and keep us posted!

Thank you! Donnam, your support and understanding of my frustration has been a tremendous help! You're the best! I'm so glad Winnie is getting better and that the past 3 nights have been calmer. The puppy-zoomies are exhausting! Lol!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent update, so glad she's learning how to be a great companion. It's so worth the effort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Slow and steady wins the race!! We all go through it, and we all get through it-if we do not give up! Points for you!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AWESOME update... great job working with her and sticking with it all! They are buggers .... love the picture!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It takes time… and don't forget puppy class!!! Those basic commands can be a life saver… Lol

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
It sounds like Bella is doing great! And OMG she's sooooo cute! :loveeyes: Post more pics of that gorgeous girl pleeeeaaassse!! :pray:

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThank you everyone! Here are a few more Bella pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 143

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bella is adorable!!!! She is still learning, she'll get there. From all of us that have been through puppy stage, the best advice is just to hold on. After about 8-9 months things will be so much easier

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
She is SOO cute, my boy Count did some of that teething, but at the time we had an older high energy boston terrier that taught him "u bite me, I bite you back" and he quit. Now that hes "grown up" he never really bites stuff other than toys. Never a person, the worst thing is the heavy bulldog nails when they think they are lap dogs

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.